Dinner Plates (chipped) Advice

Found 11th Jul 2016
Finding most of my dinner and side plates getting chipped in the dishwasher. Most probably caused
by hitting against each other. Im not sure what type they are but its usually the cheap ones.. dinner sets for
less than £10. It might be stoneware.

My sis in law recommended Porcelain but internet tells me thats even more delicate than stoneware.

Wouldn't mind spending extra this time and hopefully get something on Prime day.

I don't mind chipped plates lol as I just avoid that area. Took a photo. Sadly mugs are getting chipped as well.. and
so those will be chucked out as don't want bleeding mouth.

So anyone recommend types of dinner plate that would be strong enough to avoid
getting chipped in teh dishwasher. Thanks in Advance.
Community Updates
Ask
41 Comments
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/shabbird/IMG_20160711_165357_zpscn2vnnxh.jpg
Strewth! Are you sure it's a dishwasher you've got and not a washing machine meant for clothes?
try the Corelle ones
termite

Strewth! Are you sure it's a dishwasher you've got and not a washing … Strewth! Are you sure it's a dishwasher you've got and not a washing machine meant for clothes?

lol what does a dishwasher look like. Ive had those plates for over 8 years.
afnoor

try the Corelle ones

Thanks.. off to google them.
Easiest option would be to wash them by hand.
something is not right? I've never chipped anything in my dishwasher. have you had a look in the bottom to see if there is anything flying around when on.
WonkyDoctor

Easiest option would be to wash them by hand.

true but arthritic hands are made worse when washing and I would break more plates by doing that.
drtongue

something is not right? I've never chipped anything in my dishwasher. … something is not right? I've never chipped anything in my dishwasher. have you had a look in the bottom to see if there is anything flying around when on.

Ive had this plates for a long time. They are extra large and go right at the end sections of the bottom rack.
I love this plate as you can put allot of food on it.
A dishwasher would never chip any plate. its only spraying water on them! oO

unless they are sitting too low on the rack and the rotating arm is catching them.
Edited by: "chocci" 11th Jul 2016
chocci

A dishwasher would never chip any plate. its only spraying water on them! … A dishwasher would never chip any plate. its only spraying water on them! oOunless they are sitting too low on the rack and the rotating arm is catching them.

thats probably what caused the large plates as you could hear a tak tak noise. But what about the small plates and the mugs?

This plates will be replaced but just want something strong.
afnoor

try the Corelle ones

​I second corelle they're supposed to be break proof. you can drop them on a tiled floor and they shouldn't break so I doubt they'd break in a dishwasher. Note I don't have a dishwasher so not going to say they'll definitely survive but they're bloody expensive unless you know someone coming down from America where they're cheap as chips.
Just buy white China plates from anywhere you can. They are almost all the same. Our last lot was from ikea at 50p each half price. We just bin the chipped ones and replace. Just hand wash your best plates before and after as ours never come out cupboard. Lol
adhkarzf

​I second corelle they're supposed to be break proof. you can drop them o … ​I second corelle they're supposed to be break proof. you can drop them on a tiled floor and they shouldn't break so I doubt they'd break in a dishwasher. Note I don't have a dishwasher so not going to say they'll definitely survive but they're bloody expensive unless you know someone coming down from America where they're cheap as chips.

​I have a bosch dishwasher and Corelle plates for the past 10 years...can not fault either
Maybe it's how you're loading it,have a look here.

http://housewares.about.com/od/dishwashers/a/dishwasherload.htm

Also I wouldn't keep chipped plates etc as they harbour germs
Have you pulled out one of the drawers and put it back in wrong. If you have it on the wrong runner it makes the whirly thing on the top draw knock against the plates. I think that's why this is happening
Thanks for the advice everyone. Ive had this plates for a long time. Dishwasher is Bosch. I do make sure the arms doesn't come neat the plates. I do have strong plates but no idea what material it is. Those have survived 25+ years.

I would get a cheap set again but likely they will be chipped again. I do have a full load when I do the dishwasher. I don't overcrowd it but make sure every space for plates (large and small is used up.

Looks like i'm on the market for Correlle plates.

Appreciate the advice given here so far. Thank you.(_;)

only ever chipped a couple of glasses by putting in a gap too small, user error ! never chipped other things are you putting them in the correct slots? my dishwasher has narrow and wide plate racks. the wide one would allow the plated to move a lot and therefore probable chip. wide one for bowls and dishes.
Go for Denby British made stone ware. Its practically indestructible. I have only ever broken it by knocking two pieces of denby together. The two sets I have, have both been dishwashered for the last 25 years with not a scratch or chip in sight. I have even dropped pieces onto a tile floor and they seem to just bounce. Every piece can also be used in the oven/microwave, cannot recommend them enough.
Edited by: "Argoj" 11th Jul 2016
I dont buy special plates or mugs but never get chips. Are you being rough putting them in and taking them out? You know you are supposed to do one at a time right?
yes correct slots.. as only put plates (large and small) and mugs and cutlery has its own basket.
Mugs and glasses on top. Don't keep bowls as take too much space and easier to wash them

Will search for Denby as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

Been using a dishwasher for a long time.. Yes 1 at a time. loading and unloading. Items are getting chipped inside.

Paper plates for the win.
Maybe you don't need new crockery it's a new dishwasher you need
deb8z

Maybe you don't need new crockery it's a new dishwasher you need

Its less than a year old. Hope its the plates as cheaper to replace. (_;)
shabbird

Its less than a year old. Hope its the plates as cheaper to replace. (_;)

Did your old dishwasher chip them too ?
deb8z

Did your old dishwasher chip them too ?

yes. think that started it as it was a zanussi and you could hear the arm hitting the plates. This bosch is much larger and so no plate comes near the spinning arm.

I have more stronger plates and that have been unaffected but no idea what type they are made of.
Im learning from this thread today which are the stronger makes. (_;)
shabbird

Thanks for the advice everyone. Ive had this plates for a long time. … Thanks for the advice everyone. Ive had this plates for a long time. Dishwasher is Bosch. I do make sure the arms doesn't come neat the plates. I do have strong plates but no idea what material it is. Those have survived 25+ years. I would get a cheap set again but likely they will be chipped again. I do have a full load when I do the dishwasher. I don't overcrowd it but make sure every space for plates (large and small is used up. Looks like i'm on the market for Correlle plates.Appreciate the advice given here so far. Thank you.(_;)

​You'll find corelle is very light compared to other dishes. so maybe better for you with arthritis. my ikea plates weigh a ton compared to the corelle plates.
I have arthritic hands too, theyre very weak. I also have some Denby plates. They ARE almost indestructible but they weigh an absolute ton and are not nice to use, they hurt my wrists. If the Corelle are light and tough as adhkarzf says, I would get them, but definitely avoid the denby like the plague - I only use mine when nothing else is clean.
Thanks adhkarzf and therealslimkaty. Looks like im on hunt for Corelle dinner sets. Thanks for the advice
You do realize you're supposed to allow them to eat, No wonder shes trying to eat all your plates bless her ;).
shauneco

You do realize you're supposed to allow them to eat, No wonder shes … You do realize you're supposed to allow them to eat, No wonder shes trying to eat all your plates bless her ;).

lol I want clean plates
Thanks, i'm in need of a new dinner set. Mine get chipped too in the dish washer
On Amazon Warehouse "repackaged" amazon.co.uk/gp/…sed £44.59 - 20% off = £35.67 delivered

You might not like the design though!

I really like this design (Nouveau) but it's well out of my price range - even paying the £40 odd at Argos a few months back was splurging for me! worldkitchen.co.uk/Cor…Set
Edited by: "louiselouise" 12th Jul 2016
denby has a 4 place setting pack at tesco atm for half price instore - 'pepper' colour though so fairly dark

porcelain should be fine, we have some denby and some cheap tesco plain stuff - all been fine
(the 'stone' stuff we had previously did chip very easily when stacking them roughly etc)
porcelain is what your loo is made of and you dont generally fear that breaking when you sit on it... or do you?
Edited by: "brilly" 12th Jul 2016
Lol brilly. How can I get procelain now as will always think of the toilet seat.

Thanks louiselouise..checking those. Price abit higher. Im used to paying £10 max for dinner set lol.

Summer.. looks like we have the same problem
Possibly this is dishwasher fault - they way is spraying cold/hot water.

It looks like dishwasher washes the dishes in really hot water than suddenly rinsing them with cold - this can cause chipping, cracks etc.
It seems like your dishwasher is at fault here, and not your dinner plates/mugs.

I'd double check to see if you're loading plates properly, follow the instructions supplied. Try with half loads etc. Otherwise i'd strongly suggest buying a new one (different brand) if possible.
Thanks teddybeers and PenguinsforAll. dishwasher is less than a year old. Already had to replace the heat pump
as 10 months into buying it, it would be all cold. :(. I do try to fill the dishwasher up as much as I can without overcrowding it. Do about 2 loads a week.
joesmum

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/half-price-denby-dinner-set-mugs-amefa-cutlery-10-off-wys-40-20-wys-75-kitchen-dine-2478186

saw that.. abit pricy.. but might go for that if no other deal turns up. Thanks Joesmum
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants