Expired

Direct debit

Posted 23rd Feb
Hi if someone has got your sort code and account number can they do anything
Community Updates
Ask
34 Comments
Let’s hope not.....
They can give you some money. Or they can set a direct debit up with your details but then that's fraud and if caught they'd be off to prison
Pay you. That’s about it
MonkeyMan9023/02/2020 22:16

They can give you some money. Or they can set a direct debit up with your …They can give you some money. Or they can set a direct debit up with your details but then that's fraud and if caught they'd be off to prison

Hardly off to prison
cliosport6523/02/2020 22:17

Hardly off to prison

If it isn't their first offence then there's a high chance they would serve a custodial sentence. It is fraud.
MonkeyMan9023/02/2020 22:20

If it isn't their first offence then there's a high chance they would …If it isn't their first offence then there's a high chance they would serve a custodial sentence. It is fraud.

I agree its fraud, but I'm not sure anyone has been sent to prison for setting up a direct debit in someone else's name / account as its pointless
Cheques contained account numbers and sort codes and they were considered safe
ding23/02/2020 22:30

Cheques contained account numbers and sort codes and they were considered …Cheques contained account numbers and sort codes and they were considered safe

It also appears now on the bottom of a lot of debit cards (if we ignore the fact you'd also then know the persons 16 digit card number )
ding23/02/2020 22:30

Cheques contained account numbers and sort codes and they were considered …Cheques contained account numbers and sort codes and they were considered safe

...especially the cheques that also displayed the accountholder's name as known to the bank, plus the same accountholder's signature.
"Account numbers and sort codes can form part of the puzzle of your financial identity – but they are puzzle pieces, rather than the whole puzzle itself. "

moneyadviceservice.org.uk/blo…all
Scammers might legitimise themselves by quoting those details, don't fall for it!
Sort code is the bank branch you opened the account with and the account number is obviously your account number linked to that branch.

Apart from someone setting up direct debit the only think they could see is which branch you opened your account at.

Handy when you’ve sent someone money and they’ve done a runner. At least you can see whereabouts they live through sort code and start your investigation
If they know or find out your address & DOB they can.

Even better if they know where you where born & find out your mothers maiden name & work out how long you lived at your address for. They could take out a credit card at another address in your name.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 23rd Feb
201523/02/2020 22:53

Sort code is the bank branch you opened the account with and the account …Sort code is the bank branch you opened the account with and the account number is obviously your account number linked to that branch. Apart from someone setting up direct debit the only think they could see is which branch you opened your account at.Handy when you’ve sent someone money and they’ve done a runner. At least you can see whereabouts they live through sort code and start your investigation

Not quite. I am with FirstDirect ... the 'branch' is their Leeds HQ
Hmmm. Did you open your account online?
Splodger10123/02/2020 23:06

Not quite. I am with FirstDirect ... the 'branch' is their Leeds HQ …Not quite. I am with FirstDirect ... the 'branch' is their Leeds HQ

201523/02/2020 22:53

Sort code is the bank branch you opened the account with and the account …Sort code is the bank branch you opened the account with and the account number is obviously your account number linked to that branch. Apart from someone setting up direct debit the only think they could see is which branch you opened your account at.Handy when you’ve sent someone money and they’ve done a runner. At least you can see whereabouts they live through sort code and start your investigation

Not sure you can set up a direct debit if you don't have the address.
201523/02/2020 23:22

Hmmm. Did you open your account online?

First direct is an online bank

My NatWest account was opened where I used to work. I have left a few years ago but the account is still registered there.

I opened a Halifax account online and it was allocated to a branch that wasn't the one in my home town but another town about 7 miles away.
Im sure I have previously. Trying to think off the top of my head what company... but can’t!
mutley123/02/2020 23:23

Not sure you can set up a direct debit if you don't have the address.

201523/02/2020 23:27

Im sure I have previously. Trying to think off the top of my head what …Im sure I have previously. Trying to think off the top of my head what company... but can’t!

It must ask you for an address to set up a direct debit as it would need a customer address. Maybe not on the direct debit form itself but in your customer details. It would use this in the direct debit mandate to the bank?
You guys must have the memory of a goldfish:

news.bbc.co.uk/2/h…stm

...or am I now officially "old"?
MadeDixonsCry24/02/2020 11:01

You guys must have the memory of a …You guys must have the memory of a goldfish:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7174760.stm...or am I now officially "old"?

I remember that
MadeDixonsCry24/02/2020 11:35

*Points and laughs* Haha you are old!!!

Some days I really feel it
Gohan12324/02/2020 15:17

Comment deleted

Post it here then Mr brave. And keep money in your account.
Other than setting up a DD like others have said, there's nothing to worry about.

And if you use Starling (others banks may also have this feature) it tells you when a Direct Debit has been setup so if you didn't do it, just cancel it.
Gohan12324/02/2020 17:23

Comment deleted

well you can, names etc aren't checked, I've got 3 on my account for Sky, none of which are in my name or address, but payments come out fine.
why do people delete comments instead of just accepting they are wrong. How sad.
julieallen24/02/2020 22:07

why do people delete comments instead of just accepting they are wrong. …why do people delete comments instead of just accepting they are wrong. How sad.

the mods can delete comments so it may not be the OP who has deleted it.
mutley124/02/2020 22:10

the mods can delete comments so it may not be the OP who has deleted it.

Would be strange if they did as there certainly wasn't anything against the rules....though wouldn't be surprising
julieallen24/02/2020 22:14

Would be strange if they did as there certainly wasn't anything against …Would be strange if they did as there certainly wasn't anything against the rules....though wouldn't be surprising

they can remove a comment if they think it was not appropriate to disclose personal information on the site. he had stated his sort code and bank account i think? so the mods may have removed that to protect him.
mutley124/02/2020 22:19

they can remove a comment if they think it was not appropriate to disclose …they can remove a comment if they think it was not appropriate to disclose personal information on the site. he had stated his sort code and bank account i think? so the mods may have removed that to protect him.

no just stated that you needed the address and DOB to set up a DD, and wasn't possible to do so without them
julieallen24/02/2020 22:07

why do people delete comments instead of just accepting they are wrong. …why do people delete comments instead of just accepting they are wrong. How sad.

Removed by Mod...I stand by my comments....average Jo won't be scammed if they give there sort code and account details to someone....for transfer money say for goods or Tv services.
Edited by: "Gohan123" 24th Feb
Gohan12324/02/2020 22:36

Removed by Mod...I stand by my comments....average Jo won't be scammed if …Removed by Mod...I stand by my comments....average Jo won't be scammed if they give there sort code and account details to someone....for transfer money say for goods or Tv services.

why was it removed, nothing was against the rules?
julieallen24/02/2020 23:36

why was it removed, nothing was against the rules?

I posted my account details in post.
Edited by: "Gohan123" 24th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants