Groups

direct debit

If i had a direct debit set up with a company then told the company that i was cancelling it and also cancelled it with the bank. what would happen if the company then tried to take the money from my account?? rep given

18 Comments

The bank would not pay it ........... simples

Depending what the DD was for say you are in dispute with a service provider (phone,broadband, satellite etc) and you are still in a contract with them, they could then chase you for breach of contract also any resolution service (ofcom or similar) is more likely to find in the companies favour.

You would need to cancel it before the direct debit was due (not sure think it may be 3 days before hand) if you didnt and there was no funds in youre account you would probably end up with a bank charge.

Supermod

Their request would come back unreturned.

Banned

they cant then take the money, the direct debit is cancelled, its your power to do that

if they still want you to pay money, they contact you by letter and go from there

as soon as you inform the bank to cancel a direct debit, it is cancelled, instantly, no more payments are authorised

Banned

you can phone up the bank the day before and canel it, as long as you canel it with your bank the company can not take the money out again even if they try.

Original Poster

cheers folk, rep given to all you

If the company took your money without your authorisation the bank have to give you it back, my sons insurance company took his payment out of my account because I paid it 2 years ago! The bank gave me it back within 1 day

Original Poster

is there any way to limit how much can be taken from your account through a direct debit with the bank?

harlzter;7991815

The bank would not pay it ........... simplesDepending what the DD was … The bank would not pay it ........... simplesDepending what the DD was for say you are in dispute with a service provider (phone,broadband, satellite etc) and you are still in a contract with them, they could then chase you for breach of contract also any resolution service (ofcom or similar) is more likely to find in the companies favour.

Not true...1, Ofcom arent resolution service. 2, Otelo (a resolution service) dont take into account payment history when investigating (not sure about CISAS, the other ADR scheme in telecoms).

The whole second paragraph in general really isnt good...depends what the dispute is to be honest.

mcfallg;7991909

is there any way to limit how much can be taken from your account through … is there any way to limit how much can be taken from your account through a direct debit with the bank?

depends what type of DD you have. If its a standard/fixed, they take same amount each month. If its a variable (usually phone companies/energy companies) they would take out the full amount of the bill.

Be aware that if you did cancel direct debit & still owed them money from being in contract
    & didn't pay it, they'd prob.pass it on to a debt collection agency!

Original Poster

its for paying the factor company for my flat. Im just worried incase they just help themselves to X amount if extra
    work has been carried out.

mcfallg;7992043

its for paying the factor company for my flat. Im just worried incase … its for paying the factor company for my flat. Im just worried incase they just help themselves to X amount if extra work has been carried out.

if you havent agreed what type of DD it is...or the amount it is. then you can do indemnity claim at the bank if they take more than expected. They should tell you how much their taking though so you have the correct amount in.

Original Poster

davidn84;7992065

if you havent agreed what type of DD it is...or the amount it is. then … if you havent agreed what type of DD it is...or the amount it is. then you can do indemnity claim at the bank if they take more than expected. They should tell you how much their taking though so you have the correct amount in.

its supposed to be only £35 a month but I dont think the company is the most professional and worried in case they just help themselves

I use to work for a bank (6yrs ago) and was always told that a Direct Debit was an instruction given by the customer to the company to take money, but a Standing Order was an Instruction given by the customer to the bank to pay money. I think if a Direct Debit is cancelled at the bank and not with the "Company" first, they can still instate later. The bank wont pay it if it is cancelled but if it gets reinstated becaused it has not been cancelled with the "company" it is taken as a new Direct Debit.
    Terms and Conditions could have changed since I stopped working, so worth while checking out.
    Hope This Helps

mcfallg;7992095

its supposed to be only £35 a month but I dont think the company is the … its supposed to be only £35 a month but I dont think the company is the most professional and worried in case they just help themselves

If they take more than £35, and you can prove to the bank that it was a fixed DD then i think you can do an indemnity claim.

Kaytris;7992901

I use to work for a bank (6yrs ago) and was always told that a Direct … I use to work for a bank (6yrs ago) and was always told that a Direct Debit was an instruction given by the customer to the company to take money, but a Standing Order was an Instruction given by the customer to the bank to pay money. I think if a Direct Debit is cancelled at the bank and not with the "Company" first, they can still instate later. The bank wont pay it if it is cancelled but if it gets reinstated becaused it has not been cancelled with the "company" it is taken as a new Direct Debit. Terms and Conditions could have changed since I stopped working, so worth while checking out.Hope This Helps

The 'company' cannot reinstate a DD without your permission. You have to sign, or verbally agree, the DD guarantee (as far as i can remember). So if you cancel DD at bank, money wont go anywhere unless the company provides bank with new DD guarantee.

Banned

davidn84;7993722

If they take more than £35, and you can prove to the bank that it was a … If they take more than £35, and you can prove to the bank that it was a fixed DD then i think you can do an indemnity claim.

direct debits are variable but generally fixed by the company (e.g. utility gas bill of £40 fixed per month). The company can take whatever amount they like.

A Standing order is best for a fixed amount
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …152363
      2. Any PS4 News Here29213638
      3. Kirby Triple Deluxe, Luigi's Mansion & Super Mario 3D Land to join the 3DS …22
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846289

See more discussions