Direct Entry Police Force

Posted 12th Jul 2020
Hi all, does any one have experience of this scheme. I’m using Covid to revaluate what I really want to offer this world and was hoping to talk to anyone who has gone though the process
Community Updates
Misc
7 Comments
At which rank - Insp or Supt? Will undoubtedly be binned before long.
CoP is now having second thoughts after being forced by the Govt into schemes such as these and as far as I know it;s all been paused pending a proper evaluation - general thoughts are that it has been a ridiculous project.
Worst idea ever from this government stemming from the Winsor review (May's legacy). And they have have come up with quite a few of those so that's saying something..
recruit.college.police.uk/Off…spx
Copperface12/07/2020 21:45

At which rank - Insp or Supt? Will undoubtedly be binned before long.CoP …At which rank - Insp or Supt? Will undoubtedly be binned before long.CoP is now having second thoughts after being forced by the Govt into schemes such as these and as far as I know it;s all been paused pending a proper evaluation - general thoughts are that it has been a ridiculous project.Worst idea ever from this government stemming from the Winsor review (May's legacy). And they have have come up with quite a few of those so that's saying something..https://recruit.college.police.uk/Officer/leadership-programmes/Direct-Entry-Programme/direct-entry-at-inspector/Pages/Direct-Entry-at-Inspector.aspx

Hi thanks Copperface. I was looking at Insp. process to help serve the community and police force with skills I have gained in private, such as bureaucracy elimination and cutting red tape and trying to make the lives easier of the guys on the frontline. I appreciate it is harder said than done, but I reckon I can help. Have you encountered anyone from direct entry role? Are they generally respected within the organisation?
Stressful job for a low pay public sector role... would reconsider if I were you
Banana.Hammock12/07/2020 21:52

Hi thanks Copperface. I was looking at Insp. process to help serve the …Hi thanks Copperface. I was looking at Insp. process to help serve the community and police force with skills I have gained in private, such as bureaucracy elimination and cutting red tape and trying to make the lives easier of the guys on the frontline. I appreciate it is harder said than done, but I reckon I can help. Have you encountered anyone from direct entry role? Are they generally respected within the organisation?

I don’t usually comment on these forums but being honest and not trying discourage.

If money isn’t an issue start off as a PC and aim for promotion. Like you say direct entry Insp’s aren’t respected as much as someone who has worked their way up.

It’s a very tough role as an Insp as you have far more responsibility now than ever before and without operational experience it becomes very difficult and stressful to learn.
Banana.Hammock12/07/2020 21:52

Hi thanks Copperface. I was looking at Insp. process to help serve the …Hi thanks Copperface. I was looking at Insp. process to help serve the community and police force with skills I have gained in private, such as bureaucracy elimination and cutting red tape and trying to make the lives easier of the guys on the frontline. I appreciate it is harder said than done, but I reckon I can help. Have you encountered anyone from direct entry role? Are they generally respected within the organisation?

As harsh as it sounds, you won’t have any respect - PCSOs get very little at times.
Going straight into a role you’ve never done at management level it a tough one, you’ll need to earn the respect of those working below you. You might be capable of this, you might not. You will be trying to win over people who have been doing that job for the majority of their working lives.
This isn’t to say don’t do it, you are best placed to decide if you have the skills / experience to do it, it totally depends on what your experience is and how adaptable you are.
jhypezzz13/07/2020 04:01

I don’t usually comment on these forums but being honest and not trying d …I don’t usually comment on these forums but being honest and not trying discourage. If money isn’t an issue start off as a PC and aim for promotion. Like you say direct entry Insp’s aren’t respected as much as someone who has worked their way up.It’s a very tough role as an Insp as you have far more responsibility now than ever before and without operational experience it becomes very difficult and stressful to learn.

Thank you for your honesty. I fully appreciate the response.
ktm66613/07/2020 07:52

As harsh as it sounds, you won’t have any respect - PCSOs get very little a …As harsh as it sounds, you won’t have any respect - PCSOs get very little at times. Going straight into a role you’ve never done at management level it a tough one, you’ll need to earn the respect of those working below you. You might be capable of this, you might not. You will be trying to win over people who have been doing that job for the majority of their working lives. This isn’t to say don’t do it, you are best placed to decide if you have the skills / experience to do it, it totally depends on what your experience is and how adaptable you are.

I fully agree, and thank you for taking the time to mention these points. It’s a difficult one as I appreciate the need for ops experience. Many thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text