Disabled toiletiquette

Found 24th Jul
Q1 - are disabled toilets solely for the use of disabled people at any time?

Q2 - you have sciatica (no, this is not a Junkner joke) and walking is painful. Stairs are a real problem. Are you allowed to use a Disabled toilet that avoids stairs?

Q3 - On the way out of a disabled toilet (used under Q2 provision), you are abused by a man with a prosthetic lower leg who has been actively playing tennis, bike riding and other activities. He launches into a tirade of abuse. What is the correct form of response?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
1. If all the others are taken and there is no disabled people waiting I can't see why an able person shouldn't be allowed to quickly use them.
2. Can't see why not.
3. Said "Not all disabilities are visible" and carried on with your day.
Hard to tell who should and shouldn't. Someone with IBD in my eyes should have a higher need than someone with a prosthetic leg. It's a crippling disease and when you have to go you can't wait.
Edited by: "kester76" 24th Jul
25 Comments
Hey - thanks for posting. I've moved this to Ask
1. Yes
2. No
3. Apologise to the man with one leg
Q3: Stick the nut on him
1. If all the others are taken and there is no disabled people waiting I can't see why an able person shouldn't be allowed to quickly use them.
2. Can't see why not.
3. Said "Not all disabilities are visible" and carried on with your day.
joedastudd3 m ago

1. If all the others are taken and there is no disabled people waiting I …1. If all the others are taken and there is no disabled people waiting I can't see why an able person shouldn't be allowed to quickly use them.2. Can't see why not.3. Said "Not all disabilities are visible" and carried on with your day.

totally agree.
What must be annoying for many disabled people is when the toilet is combined with the baby changing rooms, if you are desperate for the toilet and a mum has gone in their with 2 or more children with nappies to change etc, okay not the mnms fault but the bad decision to combine them.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 24th Jul
Hard to tell who should and shouldn't. Someone with IBD in my eyes should have a higher need than someone with a prosthetic leg. It's a crippling disease and when you have to go you can't wait.
Edited by: "kester76" 24th Jul
Hi
I get sciatica and i would of used the toilet too , i would of explained to the guy why you used it.
Babbabooey32 m ago

3.Apologise to the man with one leg

Exactly what would I be apologising for?
SOUTHWALES25 m ago

It is a hard one as sometimes it feels like only old people seem to think …It is a hard one as sometimes it feels like only old people seem to think it is only them who can be disabled but capable of walking around a shopping centre.

I deal with blue badge car applications for disabled people as part of my job. It is so true that not all disabilities are visible, you have to put this down to lack of education. It is sad that some older people think it is a right to have a parking badge as they get older due to age and not their ability to walk.

Q3, if you think you needed to use the toilet because you are in pain, then use it.

We have a key in my office, I can open the disabled public toilet for people who are in difficulty and I am happy to do this for anyone who is struggling. Would you want your loved one to have an accident,?
For anyone who struggles to access a toilet.

Get a letter from your doctor, ask them to write that you struggle to use public toilets for XXX reason.

Ring your local council and ask them where you can buy a " Radar" key, about £2.50, a one off life payment, show them your letter. This key will allow you access to any locked disabled public toilet, it is a national scheme but be aware may not open some private toilets. I am aware some pubs have toilets fitted with locks that will open using these keys.

No person should struggle to access a toilet, sad world we live in at times.
Edited by: "cideristhefuture" 24th Jul
I didn't think they were solely for the use of disabled. I thought they were adapted for use by the disabled..ie lower toilet and sink. Handles and bars and an emergency pull cord. It is etiquette to allow a disabled person to 'go' first, but if there is no one waiting when you go in there is no harm.
What would these moaners do it the person coming out was also disabled? Would they start comparing 'classifications' (like the Paralympics) to who goes first?
Edited by: "mrty" 24th Jul
Op personally i don't think you should apologise as i have ibd and when you look at me you can't see anything same with many other people. Disabled toilets are not just for people who are in wheelchairs or crutches. I would have just ignored him and carried on with my day. You don't need to justify to anyone else why you used the toilet especially if no one was there waiting. Using the toilets is a basic need and if this country didnt have the tiniest cubicles in which you can barely fit around the toilet door without touching the toilet then we could have many more disabled people people able to access normal toilets. Also another gripe why do the doors always open in instead of out! Theres barely any room to manoeuvre around the door without touching the walls or toilet. It seems the cubicles are getting smaller and smaller.
adhkarzf35 m ago

Op personally i don't think you should apologise as i have ibd and when …Op personally i don't think you should apologise as i have ibd and when you look at me you can't see anything same with many other people. Disabled toilets are not just for people who are in wheelchairs or crutches. I would have just ignored him and carried on with my day. You don't need to justify to anyone else why you used the toilet especially if no one was there waiting. Using the toilets is a basic need and if this country didnt have the tiniest cubicles in which you can barely fit around the toilet door without touching the toilet then we could have many more disabled people people able to access normal toilets. Also another gripe why do the doors always open in instead of out! Theres barely any room to manoeuvre around the door without touching the walls or toilet. It seems the cubicles are getting smaller and smaller.

They open inwards for health and safety reasons but fully agree it is a pain that you have to brush up against the toilet to open and close the door.
1. No they are accessible toilets. Anyone with an access problem should be able to use them. Doesn’t have to be a physical disability. I always try and avoid using them but when I had a 3 year old who needed the loo and a new born in a pram. The baby was not being left in a corridor. I will stress that was always a last resort to use the Accessible loos.
2) See point one, if no additional access requirements are needed, don’t use them. Otherwise, excluding laziness, use away.
3) Back to the accessibility point and laziness. A prosthetic leg is a disability but it does not hamper many people in life for a lot of tasks. Standing up to take a jimmy riddle at a urinal is typically not one of those difficult ones. Of course everyone’s balance etc varies.

Disabled toilets in themselves have a place and need. Where possible, try not using them. However a bladder/bowel weakness, logistics and safety in my eyes are acceptable reasons to use them.
Babbabooey3 h, 26 m ago

1. Yes2. No3. Apologise to the man with one leg

Correct answer. End of..
Yes, in my opinion you would be slightly disabled with sciatica or with a really bad back and you don't have to justify yourself to some random person anyway.

Next time just say disabilities are not all visible.
Did anyone ready earlier post on this thread about my wife having leaking heart valves, the comment has been deleted and I received this message, would like to know what was possibly wrong with the comment.

Hi SOUTHWALES

We've deleted your comment from the following thread as it contains blacklisted words or profanities.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 24th Jul
1. No
2. No. (Sciatica is hideous and can be very disabling)
3. Either taunt him by calling him stumpy or Beat him silly with his prosthetic leg, after all he abused you.
'Q1 - are disabled toilets solely for the use of disabled people at any time?

Q2 - you have sciatica (no, this is not a Junkner joke) and walking is painful. Stairs are a real problem. Are you allowed to use a Disabled toilet that avoids stairs?

Q3 - On the way out of a disabled toilet (used under Q2 provision), you are abused by a man with a prosthetic lower leg who has been actively playing tennis, bike riding and other activities. He launches into a tirade of abuse. What is the correct form of response?'

A1 - No.

A2 - Yes.

Q1 and Q2 are linked, if you are desperately needing to go, and/or are struggling to reach the nearest normal toilet, for whatever reason then absolutely you should be allowed to use the disabled one, providing of course that there isn't someone waiting to use it who has a genuine disability.

A3 - Apologise and explain that you had difficulty and couldn't go to the nearest one, the disabled one was vacant so no real harm done.

Unsure where your going with the playing tennis etc as that has nothing to do with the situation, if someone is registered disabled, I don't care what physical activities they get up to, they have precedent to use the disabled toilet over someone who is not registered disabled.
Bear in mind, genuine registered disabled will encounter issues like this almost daily I would imagine.
Edited by: "andynicol" 24th Jul
My boyfriend has epilepsy. He needs to use the disabled toilets as if he has a seizure we cannot get him out the small toilets due to the extreme pain he is in, he will need at least one person helping him to stand up etc. If he has a seizure he cannot use stairs. So he cannot use a non disabled toilet as his seizures come at any time. So should he not be allowed to use a disabled toilet because he doesn’t “look” disabled all the time?

I also have Crohn’s and fibromyalgia. I do my best to make it to the usual toilets, however when there’s a queue, I just can’t. It’s not even knowing I’m going to have an accident. It’s the pain that goes with it too.

We both have blue badges (boyfriend cannot drive) and we get abuse everywhere. I also have Aspergers so causes me massive amount of stress. I didn’t get these problems from lifestyle choices. I didn’t ask for them, I’d love to be ‘normal’. People forget that.
SOUTHWALES1 h, 23 m ago

Did anyone ready earlier post on this thread about my wife having leaking …Did anyone ready earlier post on this thread about my wife having leaking heart valves, the comment has been deleted and I received this message, would like to know what was possibly wrong with the comment.Hi SOUTHWALES We've deleted your comment from the following thread as it contains blacklisted words or profanities.

I read that comment and didn't think it contained any profanities. I wonder what word they decided was a swear
it's a toilet with features for disable people, it isn't solely for disabled people, if you want to use it, use it.

I'm sure you use other things that are designed with disabled people in mind, ATMs that are low down, the automatic doors (when the manually operated doors are right next to them).
Asura20 m ago

it's a toilet with features for disable people, it isn't solely for …it's a toilet with features for disable people, it isn't solely for disabled people, if you want to use it, use it.I'm sure you use other things that are designed with disabled people in mind, ATMs that are low down, the automatic doors (when the manually operated doors are right next to them).

Sorry but if you want to apply that theory to everything I really hope you do not find yourself in the unfortunate position to not have a choice but to use disabled toilets. This is why most places are forced to lock them now. It’s not about ‘I can use it therefore I will’. It’s just about a little understanding and consideration for other people who are a little/a lot less abled than yourself.
Edited by: "choccie32" 24th Jul
SOUTHWALES5 h, 41 m ago

Did anyone ready earlier post on this thread about my wife having leaking …Did anyone ready earlier post on this thread about my wife having leaking heart valves, the comment has been deleted and I received this message, would like to know what was possibly wrong with the comment.Hi SOUTHWALES We've deleted your comment from the following thread as it contains blacklisted words or profanities.

Nope... you didn't
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants