Groups

Discuss the following statement - "Well, E3 was abit of a flop wasn't it? "

The One X looks great but is, as expected, expensive. Some of the games shown off by different developers looked good but overall I have been waiting for something that didn't happen and I do not even know what that thing was. Glad I bought my Pro few months back now, wasn't worth waiting, as nothing new impacted that decision...

26 Comments

Pokemon RPG being made. Metroid 4. Metroid 2 remake. Xenoblade 2 2017 release and Mario Odyssey.

That's enough just from Nintendo to make it a good E3 for me.

Mick2692

Pokemon RPG being made. Metroid 4. Metroid 2 remake. Xenoblade 2 2017 … Pokemon RPG being made. Metroid 4. Metroid 2 remake. Xenoblade 2 2017 release and Mario Odyssey.That's enough just from Nintendo to make it a good E3 for me.

​Oh and Mario/Rabbids looks very interesting

I kind of think E3 needs to change. I'm not sure what to, but it just doesn't seem to same any more.

I thought MS's was good, but I was waiting for a mic drop moment. There wasn't one. Although kudos to them for not teasing a Halo or Gears game that;ll be out in 2019.

I though PS4 was entirely meh. Spiderman looks great, but drom what I read of the conference, it all felt very one note. They've left a big first-party game for this Xmas as well, which I think they did last year? A bit of a shame after such a good 6 months.

I thought Nintendo was very good. Frustrated slightly on no news of VC or OS updates, but it;s Nintendo so y'know.

Ubisoft probably had the best presser, which is just weird.

Mick2692

Pokemon RPG being made. Metroid 4. Metroid 2 remake. Xenoblade 2 2017 … Pokemon RPG being made. Metroid 4. Metroid 2 remake. Xenoblade 2 2017 release and Mario Odyssey.That's enough just from Nintendo to make it a good E3 for me.

These titles are very good and i'm looking to them but i would've liked to have seen more third party games for the switch

The last two years have been a bit pants, 2015 on the other hand was exceptional. We got Shenmue 3, Final Fantasy 7 remake, Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3, Deus Ex, Dishonured 2, Doom,Fallout 4 to name a few.

I thought it was good enough. MS gave us a price and date for the X, and revealed some amazing looking games. First I'd heard of Metro and Anthem, both will be pre ordered.

Sony was a bit poorer, but more focus on games, especially first party. Nintendo was great of you love cutesy graphics and odd gameplay. Mario Xcom looks terrible.

I have very little interest in Ubisoft games, So A.C. won't register for me. Skyrim VR might be the game that convinces me to buy the PS VR.

totneschap

These titles are very good and i'm looking to them but i would've liked … These titles are very good and i'm looking to them but i would've liked to have seen more third party games for the switch

​As much as I would like to see more third party games, I have accepted it probably won't happen. I am more than happy to have it as first party/indie machine and use my laptop for the big chunky AAA games

E3 has been a bit dead for the last two years. Nintendo and Sony have their own showcases throughout the year, so it feels like they announce less at E3.

People are expecting way too much now. I thought Sony had a good showcase and so did the rest, everyone showed games and more games, which is the point. The fact that Metroid Prime 4 was a showstopper is a good example of this, despite literally being the logo for the game (I am really excited for it, but I know its about two years away). Same thing happened last year when Sony revealed a lot of games that were many years away, but where just exciting titles. People just want big names for the hype and everything else gets pushed to the side, even though a lot of the games look good and are close to release.

What makes it worse is that a lot of what we see at E3 (especially Ubisofts stuff) ends up being completely watered down or just doesn't end up getting a release.

The best thing about E3 is how much of a cringe fest it can be.

Sony took the year off... and insiders will know what each other are doing... so that impacted what others planned I would assume, usually its a case of one up personship but this year Sony announcing nothing new meant that Microsoft didn't pull out all the stops... that's how it felt to me...

as the above said... when Ubisoft wins E3 you know the industry has got a bit arrogant and has started to phone it in.

There was no big moment full stop. Sums up this generation for me.

I'm just always looking out for a Bethesda open world game.

Mick2692

As much as I would like to see more third party games, I have accepted it … As much as I would like to see more third party games, I have accepted it probably won't happen. I am more than happy to have it as first party/indie machine and use my laptop for the big chunky AAA games

But Nintendo were claiming the Switch has a lot of third party developers working on games. I saw fifa 18, which i'm not interested in and Skyrim which would be good but not much else. Nintendo need to learn from the past mistakes of the Wii U, which was an excellent machine with incredible exclusives but it needed something more.

I felt I hyped myself up more than I should had.

Microsoft was messy, trailers getting interrupted with "enhanced with Xbox One X" even for games like Minecraft. I feel Phil Spencer is a detriment to the Xbox brand more than anything, he yaps alot and had been hyping the Scorpio all year.

Sony was a bit of a let down, all the games looked good but I was hoping for some news that would get owners excited, for me I was hoping for a "You can now change your PSN ID" still waiting for that day.

Ubisoft had a few surprises, people forget though that this is ubisoft and all their games seemed to be either open world or emphasis on online play so I am not expecting stellar gameplay, probably doesn't help I hated the ship stuff in black flag.

Bethesda was awful apart from Wolfenstien 2, loved the first. Fallout 4 VR? bit ugly for VR.

Still waiting for news on that new batman game though.

*These are just my opinions

totneschap

But Nintendo were claiming the Switch has a lot of third party … But Nintendo were claiming the Switch has a lot of third party developers working on games. I saw fifa 18, which i'm not interested in and Skyrim which would be good but not much else. Nintendo need to learn from the past mistakes of the Wii U, which was an excellent machine with incredible exclusives but it needed something more.

​There are a lot of smaller games being developed by third party developers. Once they see the Switch is selling well I think we'll end up with watered down ports of big games (Which I think is completely acceptable to sacrifice FPS to play on the go) Kind of like what we saw with the WII

Robot_Rooster5 m ago

I feel Phil Spencer is a detriment to the Xbox brand more than anything, …I feel Phil Spencer is a detriment to the Xbox brand more than anything, he yaps alot and had been hyping the Scorpio all year.

Couldn't disagree more. To me he's easily the most approachable and genuine of all the various platforms spokespersons. You look for example at the EG interview with him and Jim Ryan from Sony and they're almost poles apart.

He's really turned around Xbox from the previous few heads. I think he's made the brand far more consumer focused, when you look at EA Access and cross-network play with PC and Switch, both things Sony have rejected (despite being 'for the players')

EA was poor. The Anthem tease was the only good thing they had going.

Bethesda had it's moments. Wolfentein 2 and The Evil Within 2 will both be great.

Microsoft was poor. The price of the Xbox One X (terrible name) is preposterous given the fact that they have no real big exclusives. Unless you like driving games, which I don't. Unveiling a new car? Waste of everyone's time. Ori and the Will of the Wisps and Cupheads I'm sure will both be excellent though.

Ubisoft was good. A few games in there I'm not interested in, but they presented them all well. Mario+Rabbids looks far, far better than anything I ever expected and that Beyond Good and Evil 2 trailer was superb.

Playstation was a little lacklustre. Loved the Shadow of the Colossus reveal but not much else. I have to say I'm a little disappointed that the new Uncharted looks a lot like the old ones. I was hoping for a lot less climbing and big set pieces, which might sound a little weird...

Nintendo, for me, was the best show of the event. Kirby and Yoshi both look a lot of fun. Ok, we didn't see anything of them, but knowing a new Metroid Prime and a fully fleshed Pokemon game are being worked on is enough for me. Rocket League portable is going to be sensational! And there is just not enough superlatives to describe that Super Mario Odyssey trailer. My word.

All in all I'd say it was a pretty poor event, but some really good stuff here and there.

Edit: Still waiting for Bloodborne 2!

Edited by: "Rambaldi47" 14th Jun

ScarboroughKID

Couldn't disagree more. To me he's easily the most approachable and … Couldn't disagree more. To me he's easily the most approachable and genuine of all the various platforms spokespersons. You look for example at the EG interview with him and Jim Ryan from Sony and they're almost poles apart.He's really turned around Xbox from the previous few heads. I think he's made the brand far more consumer focused, when you look at EA Access and cross-network play with PC and Switch, both things Sony have rejected (despite being 'for the players')

​I do wish Sony would allow crossplay with other consoles there is no detriment to it really. Their excuse being "kids might get harrased by the other player bases or something"

EA Access I can live without.

I felt all conferences smashed it even if just a little.

Doom vfr (kind of interested), Skyrim and Fallout 4 VR might make me buy into VR. Possibly aswell whatever the VR Elisia Wood thing is and GT VR.

Then Bethesda Wolfenstein 2 mic drop, looks amazing and I loved New Order, best FPS story in forever.

Nintendo - Mario and Pokémon RPG 'nuff said

Microsoft had a new Metro and State of Decay 2

A Way Out, whatever the hell Beyond Good and Evil 2 is, all the pirate games, I could just list games, I thought it was a great E3, just not for the usual triple A lineup.

Ubisoft lineup looked weak though, won't be getting the new Far Assassins Clancy Cry games.

catbeans

I felt all conferences smashed it even if just a little. Doom vfr (kind … I felt all conferences smashed it even if just a little. Doom vfr (kind of interested), Skyrim and Fallout 4 VR might make me buy into VR. Possibly aswell whatever the VR Elisia Wood thing is and GT VR. Then Bethesda Wolfenstein 2 mic drop, looks amazing and I loved New Order, best FPS story in forever. Nintendo - Mario and Pokémon RPG 'nuff said Microsoft had a new Metro and State of Decay 2A Way Out, whatever the hell Beyond Good and Evil 2 is, all the pirate games, I could just list games, I thought it was a great E3, just not for the usual triple A lineup.Ubisoft lineup looked weak though, won't be getting the new Far Assassins Clancy Cry games.

How did I forget about A Way Out? Yeah, that looks fantastic. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons was such a great game.

It was pretty good for VR gamers. 30% VR games in the Sony conference. More than I dared to hope for.

MSK.

It was pretty good for VR gamers. 30% VR games in the Sony conference. … It was pretty good for VR gamers. 30% VR games in the Sony conference. More than I dared to hope for.

​I did like the looks of the Hospital/Asylum one by Supermassive Games.

was hoping for more news on ff7 remake that never came

Original Poster

I would have like it if Sony announced you can change your id - had mine for years and it needs updating! You can do it on the Xbox.. I thought the Pro may have got some attention - did it get any mention at all? I did not watch the Sony conf due to it's timing but did look at the highlights, saw nothing regarding the Pro in that.

Rambaldi47

EA was poor. The Anthem tease was the only good thing they had … EA was poor. The Anthem tease was the only good thing they had going.Edit: Still waiting for Bloodborne 2!

And then EA turned round and said "see more at the MS conference", so I'm not really sure why EA even bothered. Their conferences have been awful for a few years now and I'm not even going to bother next year.

As for Bloodborne 2 we are all desperate for that and hopefully TGS or PSX might have something, I do think that Sony have to spread their content our over a number of conferences especially as us entitled gamers deserve one new reveal at each show, at the very least.

JumpMan1980

I would have like it if Sony announced you can change your id - had mine … I would have like it if Sony announced you can change your id - had mine for years and it needs updating! You can do it on the Xbox.. I thought the Pro may have got some attention - did it get any mention at all? I did not watch the Sony conf due to it's timing but did look at the highlights, saw nothing regarding the Pro in that.

​The Sony conference was:

Shaun Layden came on stage thanked everyone for support for about 5 minutes, he left, trailers played for 40 minutes, came back said thanks again and Spiderman gameplay was shown.

My PSN ID is awful, I would too like to change it.

Waiting for remakes of secret of mana, chrono trigger, and earthbound.

Tbh would like studios to do one off IP shares to have different takes on classic games.

E.g.

Zelda by CD Project in the style of Witcher.

Pokemon by Rockstar in the style of gtaV.

Fallout by dice in the style of Battlefield.

Mario by playdead in the style of inside/limbo.

(silly examples I know)

IMO Nintendo made E3 amazing, XBOX ONE X is hella powerful - while some say it lacks exclusives, give it some time.
    Bethesda didn't interest me much except Skyrim on the Switch, but we all knew that was coming just didn't know when. Also, i'm not a fan of VR.

EA was solid for me, NBA looks amazing, Battlefront 2 was superb and in general it was cool.
    Sony was meh, as bad as Bethesda if not worse for me.
    Ubisoft was okay, AC saved them.

Overall a bit of a lackluster E3 from normally the top contenders! But I really guess its what you are into.
    I'm a PC Fanboy and more of a Nintendo Fanboy, so the other "not as good" conferences don't bother me.

TL;DR
    E3 wasn't dead, only a few lackluster conferences otherwise it's all good
    Edited by: "Rid1" 14th Jun
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523461
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …285997
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416814130
      4. What is there free to do in your town?611

See more discussions