Disgraced Liam Fox says Britain 'too lazy and fat'

That's the International Trade secretary talking down British business. As much as I like May, you have to wonder why she's put people like Fox, Johnson and Davis in such prominent positions.

It's almost as if she's letting them say questionable things in order to damage the credibility of certain things. That's odd isn't it?

43 Comments

Original Poster

bbc.co.uk/new…491

Personally I think this is tosh. I know many, many people who work insanely long hours and even in their free time they're still contactable whereas some of our friends on the continent simply don't allow employees to be bothered in their free time.

I think it's an insult to business in this country to be quite frank.

I prefer June
Edited by: "archer1204" 10th Sep 2016

Naughty but nice/true; get rid of this political correctness PR stunts and say it how it really is, it is called pragmatism and no truth denial; of course there are genetic, mental and medical reasons for "too fat and lazy" cases, so these are not wrongs. Moreover if Tesco food mountains needs to shift more to get 10% year on year growth on profits, someone has to eat up all the food sales which has increase ~10% year on year for 30 years. I mean even for a tin of Cadbury Quality Street in 1975, one tin eaten per Christmas, now one tin every week is affordable.
http://i66.tinypic.com/1zzt087.jpg
Edited by: "splender" 10th Sep 2016

archer1204; Edited By: archer1204 on Sep 10, 2016 10:19

I prefer June

So much choice.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37324491Personally I think this is … http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37324491Personally I think this is tosh. I know many, many people who work insanely long hours and even in their free time they're still contactable whereas some of our friends on the continent simply don't allow employees to be bothered in their free time.I think it's an insult to business in this country to be quite frank.

Nigel Farage just said it again, we pay £1,000 a week to get Portugese brick layers because there ain't enough Brits to do bricklaying because we like to send them to grammar schools.

splender

Naughty but nice/true; get rid of this political correctness PR stunts and … Naughty but nice/true; get rid of this political correctness PR stunts and say it how it really is, it is called pragmatism and no truth denial; of course there are genetic, mental and medical reasons for "too fat and lazy" cases, so these are not wrongs. Moreover if Tesco food mountains needs to shift more to get 10% year on year growth on profits, someone has to eat up all the food sales which has increase ~10% year on year for 30 years. I mean even for a tin of Cadbury Quality Street in 1975, one tin eaten per Christmas, now one tin every week is affordable.

Tesco has other revenue streams, & their supermarkets sell more than just food. Higher profits can be achieved in clothing, entertainment, mobile telephone, & insurance sectors.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37324491Personally I think this is … http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37324491Personally I think this is tosh. I know many, many people who work insanely long hours and even in their free time they're still contactable whereas some of our friends on the continent simply don't allow employees to be bothered in their free time.I think it's an insult to business in this country to be quite frank.

Not that I subscribe to views of Daily Mail dailymail.co.uk/hea…tml
Just walk into Starbucks, MacDonalds, etc. B&Q and see how many obese East Europeans there are., none...it is the reality, nevermind this traditional PR stunt clap trap to be politically correct.

fanpages

Tesco has other revenue streams, & their supermarkets sell more than just … Tesco has other revenue streams, & their supermarkets sell more than just food. Higher profits can be achieved in clothing, entertainment, mobile telephone, & insurance sectors.

Don't do diversion tatics, just focus on food, drinks, and alcohol plus a whole aisle each of crisps, sugared drinks and sweets, just an example, and those placed right at the cashiers.

Original Poster

splender

Nigel Farage just said it again, we pay £1,000 a week to get Portugese … Nigel Farage just said it again, we pay £1,000 a week to get Portugese brick layers because there ain't enough Brits to do bricklaying because we like to send them to grammar schools.

Considering we've cut the number of Grammar schools from around 1200 in the 1950s to about 160-odd now, I'd suggest that's some very confused thinking going on.

I think the work ethic in this country is actually pretty amazing in most cases, and that is a detriment to the work-life balance of many people. To have someone like the disgraced Liam Fox denigrate that, regardless of his position in the cabinet and simply as a career politician, is deplorable.

Original Poster

splender

Don't do diversion tatics, just focus on food, drinks, and alcohol plus a … Don't do diversion tatics, just focus on food, drinks, and alcohol plus a whole aisle each of crisps, sugared drinks and sweets, just an example, and those placed right at the cashiers.

You seem to be very confused. He's not saying Britons are literally fat (although obesity is a serious issue), he's talking metaphorically.

Read the article.

splender

Don't do diversion tatics, just focus on food, drinks, and alcohol plus a … Don't do diversion tatics, just focus on food, drinks, and alcohol plus a whole aisle each of crisps, sugared drinks and sweets, just an example, and those placed right at the cashiers.

Whole aisles of toiletries, fruit & vegetables, magazines, & low-fat/gluten free/dairy free/sugar free products too.

Just because a supermarket sells high calorie (high fat, sugar-rich) products you don't have to buy them.

Would you prefer fresh fruit at the checkouts rather than cakes & biscuits?

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

You seem to be very confused. He's not saying Britons are literally fat … You seem to be very confused. He's not saying Britons are literally fat (although obesity is a serious issue), he's talking metaphorically.Read the article.

May be ask Liam Fox what he meant as opposed to the media and us second guessing what was said PR stunt wise?! Politicians use flowery and misleading words to dress up insinuations etc. after years in politics.

Original Poster

splender

May be ask Liam Fox what he meant as opposed to the media and us second … May be ask Liam Fox what he meant as opposed to the media and us second guessing what was said PR stunt wise?!

It doesn't need interpretation. It's very clear that he's talking about businesses, in the same way we talk about workforces being 'flabby' - we don't actually mean they're flabby as in overweight.

Again, read the comments in context. It's exceedingly clear for most people I'd wager.

splender

one tin eaten per Christmas,

What happened to the chocolates inside though?

haritori

What happened to the chocolates inside though?

Nevermind that, but eat a bargain bucket before that.

splender

Not that I subscribe to views of Daily Mail … Not that I subscribe to views of Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3030815/Overweight-needn-t-bother-applying-job-Nearly-half-employers-unlikely-hire-fat-workers-fear-lazy.html.Just walk into Starbucks, MacDonalds, etc. B&Q and see how many obese East Europeans there are., none...it is the reality, nevermind this traditional PR stunt clap trap to be politically correct.

Thats because they stayed at home.

Original Poster

Jesus X)

This thread, this topic, his comments have absolutely nothing to do with obesity. A quick glance at the story linked or any of the reports in the media would have made that abundantly clear to anyone with....well fill that space as you will.

What a state. X)

Original Poster

Closing the thread because it's just a dumpster fire.X)

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Closing the thread because it's just a dumpster fire.X)

Dr Liam Fox is a brilliantly clever man, he wouldn't just say for he did without good logic and reason. I think the media and all of us take offence for political correctness stunts.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Jesus X)This thread, this topic, his comments have absolutely nothing to … Jesus X)This thread, this topic, his comments have absolutely nothing to do with obesity. A quick glance at the story linked or any of the reports in the media would have made that abundantly clear to anyone with....well fill that space as you will.What a state. X)

Someone always has to bring religion into it

Whilst we have a leader of the opposition whose solution to the economy is to bring businesses under public ownership then he can get away with a lot worse than this.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Jesus X)This thread, this topic, his comments have absolutely nothing to … Jesus X)This thread, this topic, his comments have absolutely nothing to do with obesity. A quick glance at the story linked or any of the reports in the media would have made that abundantly clear to anyone with....well fill that space as you will.What a state. X)

Maybe if you hadn't grossly misrepresented what he said, then people wouldn't have this confusion....

"This country is not the free-trading nation it once was. We have become too lazy, and too fat on our successes in previous generations," he said.

i'm too lazy to even write a comment on this topic

Original Poster

chocci

Maybe if you hadn't grossly misrepresented what he said, then people … Maybe if you hadn't grossly misrepresented what he said, then people wouldn't have this confusion.... "This country is not the free-trading nation it once was. We have become too lazy, and too fat on our successes in previous generations," he said.

Yep you're right. It was wrong of me to post a link to an article that was literally paragraphs long and expect people to read it.

Lesson learnt.

Rubisco

Whilst we have a leader of the opposition whose solution to the economy … Whilst we have a leader of the opposition whose solution to the economy is to bring businesses under public ownership then he can get away with a lot worse than this.

You emans the same capitalists will instead work within the public sector?!

DarkEnergy2012

i'm too lazy to even write a comment on this topic

Lazy but not fat, like me then.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Yep you're right. It was wrong of me to post a link to an article that … Yep you're right. It was wrong of me to post a link to an article that was literally paragraphs long and expect people to read it.Lesson learnt.

Apology accepted

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Yep you're right. It was wrong of me to post a link to an article that … Yep you're right. It was wrong of me to post a link to an article that was literally paragraphs long and expect people to read it.Lesson learnt.

If you are going to start a rant thread then at least get the quote right!

Is it only me that reads this Fox thing as an attack on British business men (the CEO's, the bosses, fat cats)

Don't get me wrong I don't like either the Conservatives or "New" New Labour it's like having to decide between Trump and Clinton

And yes we are getting fatter as a nation because of Americanisation what with insurance claims and takeouts and the like. How many still cook a meat and 2 veg meal most of the week? But I'm sure Fox was directing the attack on bosses of business who have no real world/real life/real work experience.

philphil61

Is it only me that reads this Fox thing as an attack on British business … Is it only me that reads this Fox thing as an attack on British business men (the CEO's, the bosses, fat cats)Don't get me wrong I don't like either the Conservatives or "New" New Labour it's like having to decide between Trump and ClintonAnd yes we are getting fatter as a nation because of Americanisation what with insurance claims and takeouts and the like. How many still cook a meat and 2 veg meal most of the week? But I'm sure Fox was directing the attack on bosses of business who have no real world/real life/real work experience.

No, i totally agree with you. Probably because that's exactly his point. But let's not let the facts get in the way of a good old moan about nothing.

To me this says get ready for tough times ahead, firing the early shot towards business and deflect that we 'may' be in for hard times ahead.
We've done okay so far but with brexit looming then that's what could be on the horizon and best to prepare the 'fat and lazy' to do more work.
I see this as early scapegoating for what lies ahead.

Joey Bloggsy

To me this says get ready for tough times ahead, firing the early shot … To me this says get ready for tough times ahead, firing the early shot towards business and deflect that we 'may' be in for hard times ahead. We've done okay so far but with brexit looming then that's what could be on the horizon and best to prepare the 'fat and lazy' to do more work.I see this as early scapegoating for what lies ahead.

It will be easy peasy transformation in economics and finance, British millionnaires and billionnaires plus off shoring and investment fund managers will always find a way and we will be back as the fifth largest economy in no time. France will take a beating next year with their election in April/May.
Good business is done on golf course too.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/22/article-2221351-159FEAD9000005DC-180_634x449.jpg

I agree splender but it's not a certainty that we will come out of it stronger and better.
Best thing is if other EU countries start voting out and then maybe a new EU can be formed based on trade because if the EU totally collapses then that will NOT be good for us or the world economy.

I once ate a full bag of butterkist

Banned

miles136

I once ate a full bag of butterkist

I once went to hospital & half the dietitians & diabetic nurses were massively overweight.

YouDontWantToKnow

I once went to hospital & half the dietitians & diabetic nurses were … I once went to hospital & half the dietitians & diabetic nurses were massively overweight.

Did your mate succeed with his tracking down?

Banned

Saturn

Did your mate succeed with his tracking down?

Ah... Saturn.. No I didnt.. Did you?

YouDontWantToKnow

Ah... Saturn.. No I didnt.. Did you?

I am confused now. You say 'I', but I thought it was your mate that required help. Removing the photo won't help whoever is searching though.

Banned

Saturn

I am confused now. You say 'I', but I thought it was your mate that … I am confused now. You say 'I', but I thought it was your mate that required help. Removing the photo won't help whoever is searching though.

Was just having a joke with him. lol

Liam Fox is not really in any position to make comment because whilst he talks of Britain being too lazy and fat, the fact that he acted in a wholly corrupt manner, leading to his initial demise does makes his comments rather worthless.

The fact that May employed him again should come as a surprise, or perhaps not but giving somebody so tainted the position that he now occupies is the real issue.

he has also presided within Governments that have allowed mass Corporate tax avoidance, something not available to many smaller UK businesses and has helped to create conditions where many business owners probably feel greatly disadvantaged by the way that the UK Government structures it's own practices and fails to actually really assist businesses to grow and become more successful.

This is one occasion where to have the thoughts is OK but to then open his mouth and voice them has no sensibility or credibility and will now make him a target of the media and many other dissenters.

It will likely come back to bite him on the backside because every skeleton in bhow own cupboard will now be probed more deeply until the inevitable day that he makes another mistake and gets forced out.

The most appropriate comment in the article was "Richard Reed, Innocent Drinks co-founder, said Mr Fox "had never done a day's business in his life"."

So that begs the question of how somebody so unqualified for the role can be given the position in the first place.

That puts May into more focus too, which may not be good for her own longer term prospects.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763970
    2. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48210858
    3. Any PS4 News Here29213593
    4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17386132

See more discussions