Expired

Dish set up with Aerial pole?

Found 24th Oct 2012
Hi,

My property has a fairly high pole for the freeview, I wish to take advantage of this by installing a satellite dish on it rather than a seperate bracket on the exterior of the building itself. I guess a bracket that could be adjusted in terms of its angle would also be probably needed.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Community Updates
MiscAerial
22 Comments
What is it you are even asking? Doesn't make much sense!

Do you not have dish up at the moment? If not, explain what you want to do including heights and any obstructions in the line of site.
Ok, I shall rephrase. I wish to put up a satellite dish using our existing aerial pole instead of mounting it to the house itself but I don't know the bracket I would need.
shadowdogg

Ok, I shall rephrase. I wish to put up a satellite dish using our … Ok, I shall rephrase. I wish to put up a satellite dish using our existing aerial pole instead of mounting it to the house itself but I don't know the bracket I would need.

So your question is what mount you would need to attach to the pole? Where you intend placing it, does it have line of sight and not too high you can adjust? (And I assume its a normal sky dish?)
guv

So your question is what mount you would need to attach to the pole? … So your question is what mount you would need to attach to the pole? Where you intend placing it, does it have line of sight and not too high you can adjust? (And I assume its a normal sky dish?)

Yes, what I would need to attach to the pole. I do not have a satellite at all, so I would have to buy a satellite too but looking at others there is a slight tilt (upwards) I may need to get the best signal.

I really can't explain it any better than that.

[Removed Image as people think it is my house]

It's like that except not the same location and about 2x longer pole.

Edited by: "shadowdogg" 25th Oct 2012
unless i'm wrong ( which according to some - I'm wrong when I'm right :)) )

I don't think your local council will be too happy as a safety issue of having a satellite dish mounted on an aerial pool 2mtrs above the chimney stack on your property

Hmmm..... I would not recommend putting a dish on a 6' pole above your chimney! The lashing there would not be enough to hold it in high winds.

Fit it to the chimney - but not on a pole high above the chimney. Those poles are flimsy anyway..... but with a dish fitted with leverage you are asking for trouble IMHO.

Satellite is not like terrestrial. Fitting it higher makes no difference. The signal has just travelled 22,000 miles. Another few metres wont make a difference!
Doesn't look straight either.

A normal sky dish should be fine on the bottom though, I temp mounted mine using zip ties whilst I had to swap a motor out, the 28.2E signal is quite strong even if not perfectly aligned.
This is not my picture, I was simply using it to explain the pole.
Edited by: "shadowdogg" 24th Oct 2012
Lol, stop being a pussy & screw it to the wall
shadowdogg

Doesnt matter. The issues are the same.

Well, we already had it on the wall, they look tacky. As we already have a pole, it makes sense to have all the mess in one location and as I am having external wall insulation being put in, it will hide all the wires which is why I am looking for advice now.

Seemingly I can't find a tiltable bracket to put to the pole so I shall ask the people selling satellite stuff on ebay.

ChrisUK

Lol, stop being a pussy & screw it to the wall

shadowdogg

Well it's in a totally different location as I explained but anyway.
Edited by: "shadowdogg" 24th Oct 2012
shadowdogg

Well it's in a totally different location as I explained but anyway.

There was a reason pretty much my first question was "Where you intend placing it, does it have line of sight and not too high you can adjust?"

guv

There was a reason pretty much my first question was "Where you intend … There was a reason pretty much my first question was "Where you intend placing it, does it have line of sight and not too high you can adjust?"

But my question is, what bracket do I need but I found my own answer anyway.
I give up!

My satellite dish is on a fairly high pole, but then it has to be to 'see' over an enormous oak tree down the end of the garden. The only downside is when its windy I lose the signal. I'm not sure what the bracket looks like, as sky put it up, but will have a look in the morning when its light if you want
waylonolivier

My satellite dish is on a fairly high pole, but then it has to be to … My satellite dish is on a fairly high pole, but then it has to be to 'see' over an enormous oak tree down the end of the garden. The only downside is when its windy I lose the signal. I'm not sure what the bracket looks like, as sky put it up, but will have a look in the morning when its light if you want

Yeah, i'll post a picture. My plan was to put it as low to the support bracket as possible as then it would be less likely to sway in the wind. I just wish I could find a way to make it tiltable.
Sky dishes all have a facility to adjust, up / down and side to side. I would fix it to the chimney breast using good quality rawlbolts.
Inactive

Sky dishes all have a facility to adjust, up / down and side to side. I … Sky dishes all have a facility to adjust, up / down and side to side. I would fix it to the chimney breast using good quality rawlbolts.

Oh, that is good to know. I was thinking of just getting a mk4 sky dish which I assume is the latest carnation of them, seem cheap enough on ebay but that picture wasn't my house though.
hadowdogg

Oh, that is good to know. I was thinking of just getting a mk4 sky dish … Oh, that is good to know. I was thinking of just getting a mk4 sky dish which I assume is the latest carnation of them, seem cheap enough on ebay but that picture wasn't my house though.

Fair enough, but a chimney breast is a chimney breast, just make sure it is fixed securely, all connections are watertight and you should be OK.
shadowdogg

Well, we already had it on the wall, they look tacky. As we already have … Well, we already had it on the wall, they look tacky. As we already have a pole, it makes sense to have all the mess in one location and as I am having external wall insulation being put in, it will hide all the wires which is why I am looking for advice now.Seemingly I can't find a tiltable bracket to put to the pole so I shall ask the people selling satellite stuff on ebay.Well it's in a totally different location as I explained but anyway.

so stuck on a pole 6 feet above your house looks better? oO

and you really shouldnt cover the wires with insulation either!
Edited by: "csiman" 25th Oct 2012
shadowdogg

I just wish I could find a way to make the dish tiltable.

So do you think sky installers adjust your house when they fit a dish?
Asking here was a huge mistake

Mods please delete this thread.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions