Dishwasher advice

Posted 31st Oct
So I am finally agreeing to loosing a draw and cardboard to get a dishwasher.
However since I have never had one which one would you recommend ?
Budget £400-500
When is the best time to buy too?
Just to mention gotta to be silver as the rest of my appliances are

Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

32 Comments
Have a look at the reviews on Amazon
Stand alone, Slimline or full size ie 60cm.

Went with Beko myself.
Never missed a beat.
Only ever had 1 bad wash, tablet dropped and jambed so did not disolve.
I run it with a hose extention to reach past washing machine, your not ment to.

I would go for a model with the extra tray at the top for knives and forks.
Dont worry about water use 11L etc as just rinsing of plates will use 5L. A washing up bowel is about 18L.
If you have a water meter it will save you money.
Do you have a big family? We had one in the house when we bought it and to be honest its more of a curse than anything, there is 4 of us and still its just quicker to wash up. What we found was people just stack the dishwasher until there are no other plates or cutlery to use, its not very economical doing it just for a few plates of glasses.
Edited by: "Donkii" 31st Oct
Donkii31/10/2019 14:55

Do you have a big family? We had one in the house when we bought it and …Do you have a big family? We had one in the house when we bought it and to be honest its more of a curse than anything, there is 4 of us and still its just quicker to wash up. What we found was people just stack the dishwasher until there are no other plates or cutlery to use, its not very economical doing it just for a few plates of glasses.

I'd have to disagree with it being faster to wash up than load a dishwasher and the economy of half loads, though you do make a good point. If you have a smaller family you might want to consider a slimline dishwasher so that you can use it at max capacity more easily, however the savings in the energy between fullsize and slimline is minimal (about 0.2kWH per cycle) ~2p and they use roughly about the same amount of water - I personally would rather have the spare extra space for when needed - extra pots and pans etc.

In regards to the economy of using a dishwasher, even if it's not full, just 1 bowl of water in the sink is more than 10 Litres of water (then how many changes of water and rinsing?), whereas a fullsize dishwasher uses ~ 10L total. Even if you add on the cost of a dishwasher tablet ~10p and the electric it uses for a full cycle ~13p, I'm don't think that running a half load is less economical than a washing up bowl with extra water + firing up the boiler for hot water + extra time used in washing up.

OP, Check Costco, they have a good range of dishwashers and have a good warranty.
Edited by: "jambone" 31st Oct
Go with Bosch.

Avoid whirlpool and beko brands as they maybe cheap but will constantly need new parts.

Dishwashers are great, they cut my water usage too. I stick mine on every two days (there are two of us), if you have a family you’ll be sticking it on daily.

You can also do half loads too which save water.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 31st Oct
cmdr_elito31/10/2019 15:40

Go with Bosch. Avoid whirlpool and beko brands as they maybe cheap but …Go with Bosch. Avoid whirlpool and beko brands as they maybe cheap but will constantly need new parts.Dishwashers are great, they cut my water usage too. I stick mine on every two days (there are two of us), if you have a family you’ll be sticking it on daily. You can also do half loads too which save water.

I do have Bosch washing machine and fridge so never let me down yet bought a year ago
Smeg cooker on the other hand is a nighmare hate it with passion but after spending £700 on a cooker it has to last me atlesst 10 years 😝
Edited by: "andrushka" 31st Oct
I guess its just personal preference, I just found that family members, myself included, simply stacked it until there was nothing else to use. It was handy for when we had friends over or Christmas etc but that was it.
jambone31/10/2019 15:40

I'd have to disagree with it being faster to wash up than load a …I'd have to disagree with it being faster to wash up than load a dishwasher and the economy of half loads, though you do make a good point. If you have a smaller family you might want to consider a slimline dishwasher so that you can use it at max capacity more easily, however the savings in the energy between fullsize and slimline is minimal (about 0.2kWH per cycle) ~2p and they use roughly about the same amount of water - I personally would rather have the extra space spare for when needed - extra pots and pans etc.In regards to the economy of using a dishwasher, even if it's not full, just 1 bowl of water in the sink is more than 10 Litres of water (then how many changes of water and rinsing?), whereas a fullsize dishwasher uses ~ 10L total. Even if you add on the cost of a dishwasher tablet ~10p and the electric it uses for a full cycle ~13p, im not sure that running a half load is less economical than a washing up bowl with extra water + firing up the boiler for hot water + extra time used in washing up.

andrushka31/10/2019 15:42

I do have bush washing machine and fridge so never let me down yet bought …I do have bush washing machine and fridge so never let me down yet bought a year ago Smeg cooker on the other hand is a nighmare hard it with passion

Smeg is Italian retro rubbish, explains why you hate it. They look nice but that’s it.
Donkii31/10/2019 15:44

I guess its just personal preference, I just found that family members, …I guess its just personal preference, I just found that family members, myself included, simply stacked it until there was nothing else to use. It was handy for when we had friends over or Christmas etc but that was it.

If you really can't bring yourself to put a half load on, then the other option is to buy extra cutlery/plates so that you never run out before your full wash is done!

I remember reading about a city worker who removed an extra unit from his kitchen to add a second dishwasher. They then used one of them to wash and store the dishes, then as he used them, he put them in the other dishwasher ready to wash and repeat the cycle. No need to ever spend time emptying the dishwasher with that system
On my second Bosch dishwasher - first one only lasted 12 years - used at least 5 times a week. No problems at all. When you work it out at £350 over 12 years that's less than £30 a year. That's great value compared to a cheap one that only lasts a few years.
Also on my second Bosch, well my first was a Bosch dishwasher with Hotpoint branding on it, made before Hotpoint started producing their own models.

First lasted over 15 years and only got rid of it due to rusty baskets, second is now 20 years old.
Bosch make the best dishwashers in general.
jambone31/10/2019 15:51

If you really can't bring yourself to put a half load on, then the other …If you really can't bring yourself to put a half load on, then the other option is to buy extra cutlery/plates so that you never run out before your full wash is done! I remember reading about a city worker who removed an extra unit from his kitchen to add a second dishwasher. They then used one of them to wash and store the dishes, then as he used them, he put them in the other dishwasher ready to wash and repeat the cycle. No need to ever spend time emptying the dishwasher with that system

I bought extra plates when we first got a dishwasher, I put it on about 4 times a week. Getting a second machine is a brilliant idea, that would save the hassle of putting stuff away in the cupboards
andrushka31/10/2019 15:42

I do have Bosch washing machine and fridge so never let me down yet bought …I do have Bosch washing machine and fridge so never let me down yet bought a year ago Smeg cooker on the other hand is a nighmare hate it with passion but after spending £700 on a cooker it has to last me atlesst 10 years 😝

Also look at Siemens. Some of the products are identical but cheaper.
I was same, didn't seem point hours in dishwasher, why few mins by hand, but then I moved and no longer had combi boiler so waiting for hot water and didn't wanna wait for water by kettle, also use dishwasher at work, so when doing it by hand, I missed the little bits, and then there still wet on side, with a dishwasher I can neatly stack as I go in dish washer so no big pile in sink or on side dying, the dishwasher makes plates sparkle, and saving energy, I didn't think I need a echo till got one, now it's quite handy for setting timers,
Now bosch is great make and one thing you notice is all your knife and forks in dishwashers, so I brought some cheaper extra ones and few extra plates, I put mine on echo and does a great job, plates sitting there for few days, nice and clean.
I recommended aldi dishwasher tablets but I use finish rinse aid cause its not that expensive, wha brand salt really doesn't matter, just once a month make sure its nice and clean
jambone31/10/2019 15:40

I'd have to disagree with it being faster to wash up than load a …I'd have to disagree with it being faster to wash up than load a dishwasher and the economy of half loads, though you do make a good point. If you have a smaller family you might want to consider a slimline dishwasher so that you can use it at max capacity more easily, however the savings in the energy between fullsize and slimline is minimal (about 0.2kWH per cycle) ~2p and they use roughly about the same amount of water - I personally would rather have the spare extra space for when needed - extra pots and pans etc.In regards to the economy of using a dishwasher, even if it's not full, just 1 bowl of water in the sink is more than 10 Litres of water (then how many changes of water and rinsing?), whereas a fullsize dishwasher uses ~ 10L total. Even if you add on the cost of a dishwasher tablet ~10p and the electric it uses for a full cycle ~13p, I'm don't think that running a half load is less economical than a washing up bowl with extra water + firing up the boiler for hot water + extra time used in washing up.OP, Check Costco, they have a good range of dishwashers and have a good warranty.

I’ve never understood the water argument. Don’t the vast majority of people pay a flat water rate for the year irrespective of water consumed?
Bosch SMS24AW01G Freestanding Dishwasher £254 ebay.co.uk/itm…N=1
At that price range look at Siemens ones, excellent machines and bulletproof
Edited by: "eslick" 31st Oct
I’ve got a Miele dishwasher, that little bit more but is brilliant. Don’t know what I’d do without it. Got mine on a deal on ao. And had the added extra of Miele doing a cashback offer on it also. So was even better. Have a look on there website and see if they have any cashback offers. Or if you go with another brand look on there website also to see if they have any offers. Mine was only by chance as I was registering it for the warranty and I see it in the site.
d70cw631/10/2019 17:19

I’ve never understood the water argument. Don’t the vast majority of peo …I’ve never understood the water argument. Don’t the vast majority of people pay a flat water rate for the year irrespective of water consumed?

Good point, however I've lived in a few places and roughly half of them were metered. Also heating the water costs money. Either way the time savings alone from using a dishwasher are worth it.
d70cw631/10/2019 17:19

I’ve never understood the water argument. Don’t the vast majority of peo …I’ve never understood the water argument. Don’t the vast majority of people pay a flat water rate for the year irrespective of water consumed?

no, it's about 50%
esar31/10/2019 20:25

no, it's about 50%

Really, I’m quite surprised by that statistic. Not being obtuse, just honest! Well, a consideration for many then!
d70cw631/10/2019 20:26

Really, I’m quite surprised by that statistic. Not being obtuse, just h …Really, I’m quite surprised by that statistic. Not being obtuse, just honest! Well, a consideration for many then!

I live alone, and it saves me a packet, but as thehead count goes up, so does the cost
Blomberg are supposed to be decent and come with a 5 year guarantee. We nearly bought one a few months back but in the end i managed a £30 fix on our old indesit.

Do you have a big family? We had one in the house when we bought it and …Do you have a big family? We had one in the house when we bought it and to be honest its more of a curse than anything, there is 4 of us and still its just quicker to wash up. What we found was people just stack the dishwasher until there are no other plates or cutlery to use, its not very economical doing it just for a few plates of glasses.

4 of us but have friends round all the time so never ending dishes 🥴
bosch is good value and will last a reasonable amount of time. it cleans the dishes very well and is relatively quieter than some others.
ellenw31/10/2019 18:10

Bosch SMS24AW01G Freestanding Dishwasher £254 …Bosch SMS24AW01G Freestanding Dishwasher £254 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-SMS24AW01G-Freestanding-Dishwasher-with-12-Place-Setting-Capacity/401615755606?epid=21011369915&hash=item5d822a1956%3Ag%3Aa34AAOSwVYtbv7s0&LH_BIN=1

Thank you
Very well priced but need silver one to go with the rest of my kitchen appliances
andrushka31/10/2019 22:41

Thank you Very well priced but need silver one to go with the rest of my …Thank you Very well priced but need silver one to go with the rest of my kitchen appliances

If you can get a matching door then you could go for an inbuilt one.
I have a Hotpoint Aquarius dishwasher and can’t fault it. I have had it for 11 years and have never had a problem.

Simple solution to that is buy more plates, it's not as if they take up much extra space when stacked in a cupboard.
My dishwasher is in the top 5 things I've ever bought. Would never go without one, it's a massive time saver.

The people that find them a hinderance simply aren't using them correctly.
jambone31/10/2019 23:51

If you can get a matching door then you could go for an inbuilt one.

I I am trying to get one the existing cardboard, if I manage to get it in and still have a door on would be even better )
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants