Dispatches on C4 anyone tuning in?

Unseen Gaza

Is what has been presented on our screens and in our papers a true reflection of events on the ground in Gaza? And how do these reports differ to those aired in other countries?
With reporters unable to enter Gaza, attempted media manipulation from both sides and strict regulations governing what images that can be shown on British TV, Jon Snow asks a range of journalists from at home and abroad about the challenges of getting the full story.
Featuring images that haven't before been aired on mainstream television, Jon also examines the difference between the coverage at home and that in the US, Europe and the Middle East. He compares the coverage available on terrestrial channels with satellite TV and the internet and investigates the extent to which some British Muslims are by-passing the mainstream British media and looking elsewhere for their information.
To what extent does the choice of news outlet affect opinion of the conflict?

32 Comments

Cant see this thread lasting long. I will be watching

No because my sky plus was destroyed by a powercut earlier!

Original Poster

StudentJo;4157998

No because my sky plus was destroyed by a powercut earlier!

Channel 4 was a terrestrial channel last time i checked :thumbsup::p

bargain surfer;4158017

yep, but if you're only connection is through sky then you're gubbed.

nice sarcasm though

I'd be annoyed if rockets were fired at my home and I might just ask the army to sort them out :whistling:

Original Poster

Is there anywhere on the web that allows one to watch C4?

bargain surfer;4158017

Not down my street it isn't, we only get the snow channel and the blizzard channel. Must be the only blooming place in the UK with no TV signals, Sky man ran my box off my neighbour's dish cos my house apparently doesn't get that signal either!!

grex9101;4158107

yep, but if you're only connection is through sky then you're gubbed.nice … yep, but if you're only connection is through sky then you're gubbed.nice sarcasm though

I'm definitely gubbed grex

StudentJo;4158137

Not down my street it isn't, we only get the snow channel and the … Not down my street it isn't, we only get the snow channel and the blizzard channel. Must be the only blooming place in the UK with no TV signals, Sky man ran my box off my neighbour's dish cos my house apparently doesn't get that signal either!!

That's okay - Snow's the presenter!

[url]www.zattoo.com[/url]

MarzBarz;4158170

[url]www.zattoo.com[/url]

Awsome! Does this work? And you can download on a mac, better than 4 on demand

Its very good i use it time to time

MarzBarz;4158223

Its very good i use it time to time

Nice one! Thanks

Original Poster

grex9101;4158107

yep, but if you're only connection is through sky then you're gubbed.nice … yep, but if you're only connection is through sky then you're gubbed.nice sarcasm though

Not as nice as your **** stirring though
StudentJo;4158137

Not down my street it isn't, we only get the snow channel and the … Not down my street it isn't, we only get the snow channel and the blizzard channel. Must be the only blooming place in the UK with no TV signals, Sky man ran my box off my neighbour's dish cos my house apparently doesn't get that signal either!!

No offence intended SJ :thumbsup:
I have used an old FM antenna loop for a HiFi in the kids room for terrestrial TV. :oops:

crd67;4158108

I'd be annoyed if rockets were fired at my home and I might just ask the … I'd be annoyed if rockets were fired at my home and I might just ask the army to sort them out :whistling:

I am against violence by both parties - but I am certainly against the measures Israel resorts to time and again, and sadly against innocent civilians as you may agree after watching this programme along with others that will be aired in due time!

Has it ever occurred to you why someone would really do that? Unless you are of course a Palestinian who has been raped of everything by Israel and time and again. These Israelis are not as peaceful (if at all) as they would want the world to believe (or try only too hard to)!

bargain surfer;4158340

Not as nice as your **** stirring thoughNo offence intended SJ … Not as nice as your **** stirring thoughNo offence intended SJ :thumbsup:I have used an old FM antenna loop for a HiFi in the kids room for terrestrial TV. :oops:

None taken Bargain Surfer:thumbsup:

Nash;4158430

Has it occurred to you why someone would do that? Unless of course you … Has it occurred to you why someone would do that? Unless of course you are a Palestinian that has been raped of everything by Israel. These Israelis are not as peaceful as they would want the world to believe!BTW, I am against of violence, but certainly against the measures Israel resorts to time and again, and sadly against civilians as you may agree after watching this programme along with others that will be aired in due time!

Like my comments on the Mumbai attack thread - nothing justifies attacks on civilians. The terrorists firing their rockets are fair game as they have made themselves to be a target. They are cowards when they fire from schools/hospitals etc and use civilians as a shield to protect themselves.

crd67;4158516

Like my comments on the Mumbai attack thread - nothing justifies attacks … Like my comments on the Mumbai attack thread - nothing justifies attacks on civilians. The terrorists firing their rockets are fair game as they have made themselves to be a target. They are cowards when they fire from schools/hospitals etc and use civilians as a shield to protect themselves.

not often you hear the words terrorist and fair game in the same sentence

crd67;4158516

Like my comments on the Mumbai attack thread - nothing justifies attacks … Like my comments on the Mumbai attack thread - nothing justifies attacks on civilians. The terrorists firing their rockets are fair game as they have made themselves to be a target. They are cowards when they fire from schools/hospitals etc and use civilians as a shield to protect themselves.

I have no idea what you are referring to regarding your views on Mumbai. Please can you stick to this thread/story in question instead of mixing/stirring two seperate incidents?

I agree to your reply only to an extent with regards to targeting terrorists, but to kill so many innocent men, women and children is simply not right in any case? When will Israel stop their terror and occupation of all illegally occupied Palestinian land?

You may be wrong again as Israel is proving more and more to have committed crimes along with cover-ups stating what you have stated on their hearsay! Evidence is showing the Israelis have been bombing indiscriminately as usual with little or no regard for civilian lives; this includes blitzing residential areas, hospitals, schools, religious places and supposedly UN safe buidings that were housing civilian people. There are also ongoing investigations as to whether Israel has used weapons/bombs that they clearly should not have against civilians in civilian areas!

StudentJo;4158677

not often you hear the words terrorist and fair game in the same sentence

I hope you are not suggesting all those killed innocently and horrifically in Gaza including the 3 Israelis in Israel as fair game???

Nash;4158810

I hope you are not suggesting all those killed innocently and … I hope you are not suggesting all those killed innocently and horrifically in Gaza including the 3 Israelis in Israel as fair game???

No Nash it was an obviously poor attempt to point out the irony of CRD67's statement "The terrorists firing their rockets are fair game" which I have now realised I completely misunderstood to mean that what the terrorists were doing was fair game. Just ignore me, I don't know what I am talking about.

i strongly suggest people actually try and watch this documentary.
it really is an eye opener but what i cant understand is how come Israelis aren't branded as terrorists? is it cos they're not Muslim:roll:

crd67;4158516

i take it you're talking about the Palestinians.
look at it realistically. someone rapes your oldest daughter, kills your pregnant wife and burns your infant children. you are the sole survivor of the family. now, what would you do?
Im not saying what they're doing is right but. under these extreme circumstances it would make anyone crazy.

and you need to get your facts right about 'terrorists' firing from schools. this is what the Israelis said in their statement but if you examine the facts and it was also covered in part 3 of this documentary you'll find the mortars were fired outside the schools and this was verified by the UN cos they were running the school.
come on people. im not saying pick sides but at least be open minded.

I completely agree and I am almost surprised they showed this documentary. Any criticism of Israel is usually taken off/muted from the terrestrial channels pretty sharpish (from what I've seen in live debate type shows).
The only reason they can get away with it is that they have the US in their pockets. I dread to see what would have happened if the situations were reversed and an Arab country did this to Israel. No doubt instant aid, military help, and outrage.

I watched this and just hows how they planned it all!! The way people are one sided on here thats how the media let it out as they only could see what was happening in Israel and not Gaza!! Alot of the pictures were very very upsetting. Why did the people who edit not show what was fully going on as it goes through them before it gets shown on the news, so basically they take out all the bad stuff which happen in Gaza just briefly mention it and the killings in Israel get in depth!! Even most of the news reporters were not happy with this as they said they are telling the viewers what they have been told by the Israeli army!!

All of them civilians!!

There were 2 main threads in the documentary.
One was the story of the recent conflict in Gaza
The other concerned steps taken to manipulate the media to either give a biased view or cover up events.
More people should be aware of the latter as it may help them view any report from any news station or journalist more objectively

StudentJo;4159043

No Nash it was an obviously poor attempt to point out the irony of … No Nash it was an obviously poor attempt to point out the irony of CRD67's statement "The terrorists firing their rockets are fair game" which I have now realised I completely misunderstood to mean that what the terrorists were doing was fair game. Just ignore me, I don't know what I am talking about.

Fair enough, that's cool! :thumbsup:

I think that the bitterness shown towards the Israeli’s in all these numerous threads needs to be responded to. So that perhaps people will do a bit more research and maybe have a more balanced opinion.

I'd encourage anyone reading this to go and watch a few interviews on [url]www.levitt.tv[/url] Go to program archives and scroll to the Muslim section and click on the link to view. You'll need real player.

The interview with Joan Peters entitled From Time Immemorial is all about her former stance in favour of Palestinians and through research and the facts her former opinion was found to be false. Check it out and then see if the proof is deniable

Also whilst your there check out Walid Shoebat, and Zachariah Anani ( a former terrorist with over 200 kills) and Dr Ergun Caner who all now suffer persecution for coming to realise they were wrong to hate the Jewish people and their nation.

Go directly to article for links to video and further newspaper articles
spectator.co.uk/mel…tml

Below is the copy (without links) of article above

Well that didn’t last long, did it. The Hamas-declared ceasefire lasted for the whole of Monday. Yesterday, as Israel’s troops tactfully departed Gaza so as not to rain on Obama’s parade gunmen in Gaza fired at IDF patrols in two separate incidents. Today, Ha’aretz reports:
The Israel Air Force on Tuesday attacked areas in the Gaza Strip from which Palestinians fired mortar shells. The Israel Defense Forces said that about eight mortar shells were shot from near a central Gaza refugee camp, apparently by Hamas. Two of the shells landed in the Strip and the rest fell in open territory in the western Negev near the border. ... The Palestinians also fired light weapons into Israel on Tuesday, from both north and south of the Kissufim crossing. An explosive charge was also apparently set off.
Meanwhile, Jordan’s Petra news agency has reported that Hamas hijacked Jordanian aid trucks bound for UNRWA after they crossed into Gaza through the Kerem Shalom crossing yesterday. As the aid was unloaded, Hamas gunmen opened fire on them and forced the drivers to go to Hamas-run stores. And Ha’aretz reports:
The liaison office for civilian territories, meanwhile, said Hamas is intentionally harming humanitarian aid transferred from Israel by firing mortars at the Karni, Kissufim and Kerem Shalom crossings. The liaison office and Shin Bet security service both accused Hamas of looting trucks bringing supplies into Gaza. The Shin Bet also reported many instances since the cease-fire of Hamas members shooting and wounding Fatah activists in Gaza.
Finally, here is a video clip of a presenter on the Arabic language television station Al-Arabiya laughing incredulously when she is apparently told live on air that a missile has been launched against the Israelis from beneath the building. When the IDF subsequently shelled the building as a result, drawing international condemnation, TV networks based there denied that rockets had been launched from anywhere nearby. As far as I can see, apart from a vague and passing reference in the Telegraph to ‘unconfirmed reports’ of rockets fired into Israel yesterday, none of this has made it into the British media. The BBC reports instead that
Gaza also remains under scrutiny from Israeli spy-planes, and its navy vessels are still firing sporadically at Gaza's beaches without reporting the Palestinian attacks. Wicked, or what?

berni888;4161245

I think that the bitterness shown towards the Israeli’s in all these n … I think that the bitterness shown towards the Israeli’s in all these numerous threads needs to be responded to. So that perhaps people will do a bit more research and maybe have a more balanced opinion.

If Israel allowed international journalist to report freely about the real atrocities that they've committed lately then we could all get a true picture of how greatly the evil Israel inflicts on the Palestinians? Instead you post links and want people to have a more balanced opinion?

13 Israelis (including 10 IDF members) killed!

At least 1300 Palestinians Killed and many thousands maimed or seriously injured!

I do not think it's rocket science to draw a balanced opinion and especially like you intend by wishing to gain sympathy purely for Israel, do you not agree?

Read what the head of the United Nations has recently said concerning Israel's actions in Gaza when visiting Gaza after the aftermath of Israel's latest actions there?

Read who Gerald Kaufman recently compared/likened Israel with and why?

What is your opinion on Israel illegally occupying Palestinian land and has done so with impunity for decades and which is really the root core to the Palestine/Israel problem? If like many you agree to this fact; what solution do you propose other than handing back what does not rightly belong to Israel?

If / when this thread is removed it would be useful to know why
Who is removing access to debate.

Guys keep as cool as you can and the thread may stay opn

WoolyM;4161696

If / when this thread is removed it would be useful to know why Who is … If / when this thread is removed it would be useful to know why Who is removing access to debate.Guys keep as cool as you can and the thread may stay opn

I hope its not removed since as far as I can see people are discussing. The thread should only be removed when personal insults start flying.

I'd like to see Nash's question answered. How can a country expect peace while it expands, occupies land, cuts off supplies, and generally abuses people? The rockets fired into Israel are a direct result of the things mentioned. As for Berni's comments about hating Jews all I can say is that Muslims and Jews live together peacefully all over the world (even in countries like Iran!).

extract from todays guardian...
]BBC refuses airtime to Gaza aid appeal
"The BBC has refused to broadcast a national humanitarian appeal for Gaza, leaving aid agencies with a potential shortfall of millions of pounds in donations.

The Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC), an umbrella group for 13 aid charities, launched its appeal yesterday saying the devastation in Gaza was "so huge British aid agencies were compelled to act".

But the BBC made a rare breach of an agreement dating to 1963, saying it would not give free airtime to the appeal. Other broadcasters followed suit. Previously, broadcasters had agreed on the video and script to be used with the DEC, to be shown after primetime news bulletins.

The BBC, which has been criticised in the past over alleged bias in its coverage of the Middle East, said it did not want to risk public confidence in its impartiality. A BBC spokesperson said: "The decision was made because of question marks about the delivery of aid in a volatile situation and also to avoid any risk of compromising public confidence in the BBC's impartiality in the context of [a] news story."

The DEC's chief executive, Brendan Gormley, said: "We are totally apolitical ... this appeal is a response to humanitarian principles. The BBC seems to be confusing impartiality with equal airtime."

DEC appeals have recently raised £10m for the Congo and £18m for Burma.

An ITV spokesman said the broadcasters, after assessing the DEC's needs, had been unable "to reach a consensus necessary for an appeal".

Sky said: "By convention, if all broadcasters do not carry the appeal, then none do. The decision was effectively made for us."
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Better watch out for these...914
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763990
    3. Any PS4 News Here29213595
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846087

See more discussions