Disposal of car battery

Posted 3rd Jan
Hello - I just changed my car battery. It was an easy job using a 10mm spanner.
Question is now where do I go to get rid of my old battery?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Just dump it in the alleyway next to my house like every wonka within half a mile of here seems to. Tyres too if you got em.
Edited by: "Bruce_Dwayne" 3rd Jan
Scrapyard, (take ID) usually worth a fiver.
22 Comments
local authority recycling centre
Local recycling centre
Scrapyard, (take ID) usually worth a fiver.
Just dump it in the alleyway next to my house like every wonka within half a mile of here seems to. Tyres too if you got em.
Edited by: "Bruce_Dwayne" 3rd Jan
Bruce_Dwayne03/01/2020 17:17

Just dump it in the alleyway next to my house like every wonka within half …Just dump it in the alleyway next to my house like every wonka within half a mile of here seems to. Tyres too if you got em.

Follow @joyf4536 advice and earn £5 for every battery.
Just curious OP, if you hadn't have made this post what would you have done with the battery yourself?
Haircut_10003/01/2020 17:45

Just curious OP, if you hadn't have made this post what would you have …Just curious OP, if you hadn't have made this post what would you have done with the battery yourself?

See if my local mechanic would take, if so drop it off.
rimalpatel00703/01/2020 17:50

See if my local mechanic would take, if so drop it off.

Of course we would, those are our Christmas bonus, along with donated mince pies & various other food offerings
Second scrap yard idea.
Drop it off at local Halfords. They get rid of it for free.
I just take it to the local council tip, no issues taking it there
Edited by: "Sc4mp0" 3rd Jan
Of you can't be bothered going to scrappie for a fiver look on faecesbook - usually several wannabe Steptoes on the local buying and selling pages would collect it for free.
Rag and bone man took mine away for free, it was sitting on my drive until I was going past euro carparts who would have taken it as I got the new battery from them.
Take it the local tip as there is no charge
Ringfinger03/01/2020 20:09

Of you can't be bothered going to scrappie for a fiver look on faecesbook …Of you can't be bothered going to scrappie for a fiver look on faecesbook - usually several wannabe Steptoes on the local buying and selling pages would collect it for free.

Round our way someone pays a fiver a pop collected. Oddly enough another account with a very similar name and the same profile pic sells used batteries for £15
Bruce_Dwayne03/01/2020 17:17

Just dump it in the alleyway next to my house like every wonka within half …Just dump it in the alleyway next to my house like every wonka within half a mile of here seems to. Tyres too if you got em.

Is that just car tyres? I have some car tyres but a couple of motorcycle and scooter tyres on rims too
harlzter03/01/2020 22:28

Round our way someone pays a fiver a pop collected. Oddly enough another …Round our way someone pays a fiver a pop collected. Oddly enough another account with a very similar name and the same profile pic sells used batteries for £15

and they probably fly tip any that don't work....
think all places that sell batteries have to provide a recycling collection point now.
Job done at my local recycling centre.

39585937-2BeM6.jpg
maddogb04/01/2020 09:43

and they probably fly tip any that don't work....think all places that …and they probably fly tip any that don't work....think all places that sell batteries have to provide a recycling collection point now.

more than likely recondition, it is not exactly rocket science. Unlike other hazardous materials, as value in them, my local tip does not charge. Shame the rules with plasterboard that came in and have a direct correlation on that type of fly tipping. Our councillors (here) acknowledged it would occur but they would get greater revenue for the few that did by charging whilst not having to see it on their door step.

If you sell more than 32kg of sealed batteries you have to offer free collection. That is not applicable to car, motorcycle or industrial use batteries as per the OP's scope here
Edited by: "vileda_the_best" 5th Jan
I sold mine for a tenner on gumtree.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions