Groups
    EXPIRED

Disposing of paving slabs...

I'm busy sorting out the back garden at the moment and I have quite a few large paving slabs to get rid of.

I'll be offering them in the local paper free of charge and in the usual places (freecycle, freegle etc), but if no one wants them how else can I get rid of them?

They weigh a blooming tonne and I really can't be bothered to go backwards and forwards to the tip 2 slabs at a time!

40 Comments

Banned

I have exactly the same problem from landscaping ours last weekend - I'll await your responses! :thumbsup:

put them in a neat pile with a sign saying do not touch.

they will be gone in 10 mins

crush them into small pieces and then walk around the local park releasing them down your trouserleg so no one notices.....think I saw it in a movie once

Banned

put them outside, with a sign £5 each, DO NOT TOUCH

it seems you have already covered the bases, what doesnt go on freecycle (you can mention they also make decent hardcore if someone is concreting) you will have to take to the tip

Trust me on freecycle they will go! Well at least on my group (Chesterfield), I'm group owner so often get feedback on what does and doesn't go (hardcore gets rarely taken) slabs I think get 30-40 replies!

If I was you I would set a filter up so any replies for them get put in a seperate filter!

PS either you or JonnyTwoToes in the chesterfield area? I could do with some more for a summer project?

Banned

probably depends where you live but as said above best to put outside in front garden with a signed free for pick up

Banned

harlzter;8574285

Trust me on freecycle they will go! Well at least on my group … Trust me on freecycle they will go! Well at least on my group (Chesterfield), I'm group owner so often get feedback on what does and doesn't go (hardcore gets rarely taken) slabs I think get 30-40 replies!If I was you I would set a filter up so any replies for them get put in a seperate filter!PS either you or JonnyTwoToes in the chesterfield area? I could do with some more for a summer project?

Leicestershire/Northamptonshire

Original Poster

I'm in Alnwick so quite a distance from Chesterfield!

The problem with just leaving them outside is that I live in a dead end street so it's not as if people could just wander past and keep on going. Also there are loads of kids around and I would feel a tad guilty if one of them got squashed under one :w00t:

Id have them if I could get hold of my ex!!!!!!!

Original Poster

Aquatic;8574345

Please do! They can help me lift the rest off the ground as well :whistling:

Do you live near any motorway bridges?.

Banned

Aquatic;8574345

what to weigh the big holdall down in the bottom of the sea

xcookx;8574410

Please do! They can help me lift the rest off the ground as well … Please do! They can help me lift the rest off the ground as well :whistling:

We are doing a 12ft x 12ft paving slab patio, would these be any good? What condition are they in? Do they have bits chipped off or bits of concrete stuck to them?

Cheers
    LFC Muppet

take them to your local tip, ours has a skip for hardcore/concrete products, they send it away to be crushed to make hard core:)

Original Poster

LFC Muppet;8574487

We are doing a 12ft x 12ft paving slab patio, would these be any good? … We are doing a 12ft x 12ft paving slab patio, would these be any good? What condition are they in? Do they have bits chipped off or bits of concrete stuck to them?CheersLFC Muppet

They are just basic concrete slabs. So far I've lifted 4 and have another 7 to go. There are smaller ones that I was just going to use in the front garden. Not sure of the exact size without measuring them (don't have a tape measure!!!) but they are quite big.

From what I can see none of them have any chips or additional concrete attached. They would need a good clean mind.

waycash;8574557

take them to your local tip, ours has a skip for hardcore/concrete … take them to your local tip, ours has a skip for hardcore/concrete products, they send it away to be crushed to make hard core:)

I'm trying to avoid the tip / dispose of them myself :whistling:

I got rid of mine on Freecycle,even the half broken ones.

I didn't even have to lift them either,the people who wanted them did that !

Original Poster

whatsThePoint;8574629

ask the council if they will take them away, might cost you a £5 mind

Officially or on the quiet? I've had a look at their website and it's not cheap!

deb8z;8574758

I got rid of mine on Freecycle,even the half broken ones.I didn't even … I got rid of mine on Freecycle,even the half broken ones.I didn't even have to lift them either,the people who wanted them did that !

I wouldn't complain at that :thumbsup:

xcookx;8574835

Officially or on the quiet? I've had a look at their website and it's not … Officially or on the quiet? I've had a look at their website and it's not cheap!I wouldn't complain at that :thumbsup:

Try it, you will be surprised.

dig a hole and bury them you'd think someone would want them :thinking:

our local tip only allows 6 bags of rubble per household a month to be tipped, no wonder people fly tip :x

Original Poster

richp;8575249

dig a hole and bury them you'd think someone would want them … dig a hole and bury them you'd think someone would want them :thinking:our local tip only allows 6 bags of rubble per household a month to be tipped, no wonder people fly tip :x

So far in a couple of weeks I've had 6 bags full of hedging, 5 of grass cutting, and more to come!

Banned

Put a note in your local school, library, church, swimming baths, supermarket etc...

I just smashed mine up and put them in the wheelie bin, took a few weeks for them to shift the lot, why should I waste my petrol going to the tip.

Amazing what will fit in a wheeliebin, I once put a vw beetle engine in and they took that, it did make one hell of a noise when they tipped it in the truck.

I Have Approx 40/50 Yorkshire Stone Flags I Want Rid Of

Banned

raptorcigs;8575444

Wowsers.

Have you dug up coronation street?

raptorcigs;8575444

eBay them they will fetch a fair few quid, that stuff fetches a premium now, its been known for people to steal the path from churchyards for this stuff

DLM;8575491

Wowsers.Have you dug up coronation street?

NO JUST MY NEIGHBOURS YARD THATS WHY I NEED TO GET RID QUICK

Banned

raptorcigs;8575525

NO JUST MY NEIGHBOURS YARD THATS WHY I NEED TO GET RID QUICK

DLM;8575549

What are you like!How are you keeping anyway?

IM OK. BAD BAK AT THE MOMENT BUT IM OK THANX

Original Poster

shibi din;8576016

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/674833/paving-stones-in-backyard?p=8576009&posted=1#post8576009

Wasn't me :whistling:

Original Poster

Just to update you, someone on freecycle is coming to pick the slabs up tomorrow. Finished lifting the rest of them tonight so I'm having a well earned rest!

starsparkle2311;8583098

Good old Freecycle, they'll take anything. Don't expect them to thank you … Good old Freecycle, they'll take anything. Don't expect them to thank you either:thumbsup: Enjoy your rest:-D

Your group must have all the riff raff then ours are always thanking each other!

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;8583098

Good old Freecycle, they'll take anything. Don't expect them to thank you … Good old Freecycle, they'll take anything. Don't expect them to thank you either:thumbsup: Enjoy your rest:-D

It's not you taking them is it? :w00t:

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;8583239

Hahahaha no it's not, I'm banned from freecycle:oops:

Haha how can you get banned from it?!

Banned

I am so relieved they are gone, I was up all night with worry! thanks for the update

Original Poster

jubbyme;8583266

I am so relieved they are gone, I was up all night with worry! thanks for … I am so relieved they are gone, I was up all night with worry! thanks for the update

I'm glad you'll be able to sleep well tonight thanks to me.

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;8583416

Quite easily,lol. I posted a request for £10 notes one night, I was just … Quite easily,lol. I posted a request for £10 notes one night, I was just having a laugh, most people found it funny. One humourless woman, however, did not. Ooooh she was maaaaaaaad:w00t:Bothered:p

And no one took up the request? How rude ;-)

harlzter;8574285

Trust me on freecycle they will go! Well at least on my group … Trust me on freecycle they will go! Well at least on my group (Chesterfield), I'm group owner so often get feedback on what does and doesn't go (hardcore gets rarely taken) slabs I think get 30-40 replies!If I was you I would set a filter up so any replies for them get put in a seperate filter!PS either you or JonnyTwoToes in the chesterfield area? I could do with some more for a summer project?

I saw a ad once in my local papers for FREE HARDCORE pick up only, I rushed over only to find it wasn't what I had in mind, I made my excuse and left...:p

Banned

ei8hty5ive;8583902

I saw a ad once in my local papers for FREE HARDCORE pick up only, I … I saw a ad once in my local papers for FREE HARDCORE pick up only, I rushed over only to find it wasn't what I had in mind, I made my excuse and left...:p

They were betamax and you only had vhs?

starsparkle2311;8583416

Quite easily,lol. I posted a request for £10 notes one night, I was just … Quite easily,lol. I posted a request for £10 notes one night, I was just having a laugh, most people found it funny. One humourless woman, however, did not. Ooooh she was maaaaaaaad:w00t:Bothered:p

How did that even get through? Crap moderating! I wouldnt have banned for that just rejected it and sent you a jesty reply,, Ive posted requests for tartan paint, used loo roll and a bucket of welding sparks that get through but being group owner they would - this was to flood out any "wanted spammers" who respond with a reply along the lines of oh I have one of those free click here for pictures then a link to a dodgy site

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Tv choice magazine Issue 391414
    2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64522
    3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1133
    4. Win A Galaxy Note 8 With Caseology & AndroidHeadlines *** ENDS TODAY ***22

See more discussions