Distance travelled app for Android

Found 14th Jun
I am looking for a free android app for my phone which can measure distance travelled for walking and cycling.

I had used strava but I had to abandon it when someone I did not know followed me and could see all my routes. I need an app that won't allow people to follow me or at least need my permission to do so.

Any recommendation?
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Strava can do what you're asking, you just need to tweak your privacy and keep activities private and not appear on leaderboards.

Mapmyrun does basic route mapping
You can make your Strava account private in setting, privacy settings. There you will see options
If you have Location services enabled then its already built in.

Just go to google.co.uk/map…ine on any device signed in with the same google account as your phone uses. Can also view on phone from Google Maps app>Settings>Timeline
Uridium15 m ago

If you have Location services enabled then its already built in. Just go …If you have Location services enabled then its already built in. Just go to https://www.google.co.uk/maps/timeline on any device signed in with the same google account as your phone uses. Can also view on phone from Google Maps app>Settings>Timeline

Totally pointless app as it draws a arteritis line between start and finish point, and 'assumes' you were on a train if you pass near a train station.
darlodge1 h, 11 m ago

Strava can do what you're asking, you just need to tweak your privacy and …Strava can do what you're asking, you just need to tweak your privacy and keep activities private and not appear on leaderboards.Mapmyrun does basic route mapping

problem is, i already have routes uploaded on my strava account, which are available for public view as i did not think anyone would be following me and looking at my data that did not know me!

i can't delete historic routes as there is no option on there. i can only stop future routes being uploaded so i have removed my strava account. i could rejoin as a different user and start again if i use a different email address but i thought it may be easier just to use another app then i wouldn't have to use a dummy email address for the account.

can people follow you on mapmyrun?
mrty45 m ago

Totally pointless app as it draws a arteritis line between start and …Totally pointless app as it draws a arteritis line between start and finish point, and 'assumes' you were on a train if you pass near a train station.

does this affect its ability to measure distance travelled? why would it assume that you are on a train. i don't understand.
Uridium1 h, 6 m ago

If you have Location services enabled then its already built in. Just go …If you have Location services enabled then its already built in. Just go to https://www.google.co.uk/maps/timeline on any device signed in with the same google account as your phone uses. Can also view on phone from Google Maps app>Settings>Timeline

i don't want a map of where i am throughout the day in location history as i have noticed google did this and i have switched it off by logging into my google account. will this record my movements throughout the day or can i just switch it on when i want the distance measured?
mutley16 h, 4 m ago

does this affect its ability to measure distance travelled? why would it …does this affect its ability to measure distance travelled? why would it assume that you are on a train. i don't understand.

I'm a coach driver, I picked up in Ely and drove to Norwich. I drove down the A142, along the A14, up the A11 round the A47 and into Norwich. The Google app drew a straight line between the two points, start and finish. When I went onto it I can edit the method I traveled - I changed it to car, but it still showed the same direct, cross country route.
As I said, next to useless!!
mrty8 m ago

I'm a coach driver, I picked up in Ely and drove to Norwich. I drove down …I'm a coach driver, I picked up in Ely and drove to Norwich. I drove down the A142, along the A14, up the A11 round the A47 and into Norwich. The Google app drew a straight line between the two points, start and finish. When I went onto it I can edit the method I traveled - I changed it to car, but it still showed the same direct, cross country route.As I said, next to useless!!

That would be no good for me as I need accurate measure of distance travelled, calculated on actual route taken, so it needs to follow me on GPS.

I don't always walk or cycle on public roads either, so I need an app that can measure distance travelled in woodlands as well.

Not a goer that one.
Doesn't help you but I still use Google MyTracks - still have it installed on my old ZTE phone and does a great job. Pity they stopped it (unless you can find an old .apk from somewhere). There appears to be a Chinese clone "My Tracks" but I can't say how good / bad it is.
mutley17 h, 57 m ago

That would be no good for me as I need accurate measure of distance …That would be no good for me as I need accurate measure of distance travelled, calculated on actual route taken, so it needs to follow me on GPS.I don't always walk or cycle on public roads either, so I need an app that can measure distance travelled in woodlands as well.Not a goer that one.

Try this GPS logger

I used it for a while, but couldn't work out how to get it in mph. Probably missed something. It's very accurate and you can download your route taken, GPS positions, time etc and email it. If I could work out how to get it to mph I would still be using it.
Edited by: "mrty" 15th Jun
mrty14th Jun

Try this GPS loggerI used it for a while, but couldn't work out how to get …Try this GPS loggerI used it for a while, but couldn't work out how to get it in mph. Probably missed something. It's very accurate and you can download your route taken, GPS positions, time etc and email it. If I could work out how to get it to mph I would still be using it.

i downloaded this yesterday so will try it out today. it looks really good, simple screen and it does not load your routes on to any public database so no chance of anyone following you.

you can change the speed record to mph if you change the measurement format from metric to imperial first, then you will see the mph speed record option on the speed recording.
mutley148 m ago

i downloaded this yesterday so will try it out today. it looks really …i downloaded this yesterday so will try it out today. it looks really good, simple screen and it does not load your routes on to any public database so no chance of anyone following you.you can change the speed record to mph if you change the measurement format from metric to imperial first, then you will see the mph speed record option on the speed recording.

Thanks for that. Will download it and try it again. What I was really looking for is something that will log my route and play it back as a sat nav. I've just started a new job coach driving, with all new routes in an area I'm unfamiliar with. So that sort of facility would be really useful - so if any devs are reading this you know what to do.
mrty21 m ago

Thanks for that. Will download it and try it again. What I was really …Thanks for that. Will download it and try it again. What I was really looking for is something that will log my route and play it back as a sat nav. I've just started a new job coach driving, with all new routes in an area I'm unfamiliar with. So that sort of facility would be really useful - so if any devs are reading this you know what to do.

thanks for the recommendation and the reviews also state low battery drainage, which is a plus to strava which needed heavy battery power.

i am not slating strava, now that i know about privacy protection but it is more for serious athletes as it has the social networking to allow other athletes to see you and track you. i am just happy pottering along minding my own business and keeping tab of how many miles i have walked or cycled, without anyone else keeping an eye on me!
Endomondo free app will do everything you are looking for.
Edited by: "andynicol" 17th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants