Distilled water

Posted 10th Apr
Anyone know where I can get it from ?
I find de ionised water
But is that the same ?
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Distilled is purified by boiling water, then cooling. This causes most of the impurities to be left behind. De-ionised water is treated to remove all of the positive ions - meaning it does not conduct electricity.
If you have a condenser tumble dryer the drawer full of water would be distilled water. Not sure where you can buy it.
I was told I need distilled water for my steam generator iron.
I use De-ionised in mine, and I think most "ironing water" which is sold in supermarkets is de-ionised rather than distilled. I think you'd be OK with de-ionised, but if you're worried Make your own (tumble dryer, or catch steam from a kettle and let it cool - although this will take a long time!) or search online for distilled.
I'll sell you some out of my tumble dryer if you like?
I would be inclined to use rainwater if you have a water butt to collect it. Rain that falls from the clouds is simply water vapour turning into droplets through condensation which to my mind is exactly the same as the process of distillation (evaporation and condensation).

If I'm wrong I'm sure one of the HUKD cognoscenti will enlighten me.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 10th Apr
Just a jug type water filter system. Sorted. If you want to buy then Halfords Battery Top-Up Water.. Says its OK for irons ect.. B&Q to
Edited by: "wayners" 10th Apr
wayners10/04/2019 15:26

Just a jug type water filter system. Sorted. If you want to buy then …Just a jug type water filter system. Sorted. If you want to buy then Halfords Battery Top-Up Water.. Says its OK for irons ect.. B&Q to

That's de-ionised usually.
Hilazing15 m ago

That's de-ionised usually.

To be honest readying up on this there is no right or wrong.. Unless you are in a hard water area just use tap water or run through filter jug if you have one... We just use our iron and descale it if needed and buy another if it dies. You would need to put gallons of water through costing more than a new iron.. Most people don't bother messing about with correct water hense it's not easily available or worth paying for imo
Edited by: "wayners" 10th Apr
Mine works absolutely fine on good old bradford tap water.
mas9910/04/2019 17:44

No, he said it is for an iron

I see what you did there!
Hilazing2 m ago

I see what you did there!

BaDum Tish
deleted1080215
Hilazing10/04/2019 14:44

Distilled is purified by boiling water, then cooling. This causes most of …Distilled is purified by boiling water, then cooling. This causes most of the impurities to be left behind. De-ionised water is treated to remove all of the positive ions - meaning it does not conduct electricity.If you have a condenser tumble dryer the drawer full of water would be distilled water. Not sure where you can buy it.

Distilled water is not obtained by boiling water then cooling. It is made by distilling (hence the name) water. The water is boiled until it evaporates. This steam is then cooled , which causes it to condense and run off. This results in distilled water. Simply boiling water would actually increase the impurities in the water (by volume / or %age), by decreasing the water the impurities are dissolved in.
You can get it from amazon.
deleted108021510/04/2019 18:15

Distilled water is not obtained by boiling water then cooling. It is made …Distilled water is not obtained by boiling water then cooling. It is made by distilling (hence the name) water. The water is boiled until it evaporates. This steam is then cooled , which causes it to condense and run off. This results in distilled water. Simply boiling water would actually increase the impurities in the water (by volume / or %age), by decreasing the water the impurities are dissolved in.

Yeah that's what I meant, hence I said to collect the steam from the kettle in my other post, or to use the water from a condenser tumble dryer.
our steam iron is always filled with tap water and it works fine as far as i can tell and it has lasted for years. i didn't even know that you are supposed to put any other water in it.
I would use something like Comfort ironing water mixed with whatever is cheaper out of distilled or deionised. You can buy 10 litre bottles on Amazon.
company called spotless water a filling station
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions