Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Distractions For 2 Year Old On Plane

Posted 8th Mar
Hi all,

As above, looking for ideas for distractions on the plane for a 2 year old, it’s a long-haul flight.

I have the usual things like colours and colouring book, activities etc but it’s the longest flight so far for the little one. Hopefully has a sleep on there too as it’s early evening flight 5pm.

Also, are bubbles allowed or not a good idea because of other passengers? Anything to stop her getting too restless or agitated.

Many thanks for all ideas
Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I don't think blowing bubbles around an airplane will go down well, especially with the mass panic over corona virus at the moment.
Bubbles?

40065636-TsRnK.jpg
Talky1208/03/2020 10:12

If you’ve got a tablet or iPad load it with games, tv shows etc

And don’t forget kids headphones, not all passengers enjoy listening to Peppa Pig.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 8th Mar
38 Comments
Do what you can to tire the little one out during the day, no naps etc. Then will hopefully sleep for a long portion of the flight.
Bubbles aren’t a good idea, who are you flying with? Virgin has entertainment on board like tv programmes and shows.
I don't think blowing bubbles around an airplane will go down well, especially with the mass panic over corona virus at the moment.
Lots of little different things to do. Like you said colouring books, stickers, plain paper to do drawing. If you have an iPad download his/her favourite programs(take headphones). Take a couple of walks up and down the plane, take his/her favourite teddy.

And don’t forget kids headphones, not all passengers enjoy listening to Peppa Pig.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 8th Mar
Get a fire Amazon kids tablet. Download some games
adamderak08/03/2020 10:24

Get a fire Amazon kids tablet. Download some games

They want to avoid stress, not provoke it. The fire tablets are terrible.
darkfrost108/03/2020 09:45

Bubbles aren’t a good idea, who are you flying with? Virgin has e …Bubbles aren’t a good idea, who are you flying with? Virgin has entertainment on board like tv programmes and shows.

Flying with TUI.

Will give the bubbles a miss then! Thank you
BadMF08/03/2020 10:30

They want to avoid stress, not provoke it. The fire tablets are terrible.

Ours has been a life saver.
Dyslexic_Dog08/03/2020 09:52

I don't think blowing bubbles around an airplane will go down well, …I don't think blowing bubbles around an airplane will go down well, especially with the mass panic over corona virus at the moment.

Yeah definitely not taking the bubbles then if it’s gonna be panic inducing! That’s the last thing I want. Thank you
Bubbles?

40065636-TsRnK.jpg

Doing that as we speak.. my little pony, horrid Henry, hey duggie, mr bean, shimmer & shine, Ben & holly and of course Peppa pig!

Earphones ticked off the list too. Cheers! This is the reason I asked, always good to get advice and help from good people so thank you to everyone for taking time out for me x
Liam_18808/03/2020 10:18

Lots of little different things to do. Like you said colouring books, …Lots of little different things to do. Like you said colouring books, stickers, plain paper to do drawing. If you have an iPad download his/her favourite programs(take headphones). Take a couple of walks up and down the plane, take his/her favourite teddy.

Ooooh.. stickers! Amazing, she loves stickers of any kind. Will keep her distracted for a while at least. Great suggestion thank you
IamMT08/03/2020 10:36

Bubbles?[Image]

Was waiting for someone to do this.. lol
Toptrumpet08/03/2020 10:18

And don’t forget kids headphones, not all passengers enjoy listening to P …And don’t forget kids headphones, not all passengers enjoy listening to Pepper Pig.

Correction no passengers do. (Coming from a day of 2 that enjoys cartoons)
Can I just say that no matter how much I ask for help on this website, no matter how big or small the question, you guys never fail with your kindness.

It’s really appreciated by me. Thank you x
Calpol and Nurofen on a serious note a tablet with some noise cancelling headphones especially for take off like other have said. Also a window seat can pass half hour, a jigsaw and some small toys like cars. How long is the flight?
Airpods pro, baby shark and noise cancellation. Won’t hear a muff.
Edited by: "Xboxgamer321" 8th Mar
Dannyrobbo08/03/2020 10:48

Calpol and Nurofen on a serious note a tablet with some noise …Calpol and Nurofen on a serious note a tablet with some noise cancelling headphones especially for take off like other have said. Also a window seat can pass half hour, a jigsaw and some small toys like cars. How long is the flight?

Seriously, though. Calpol. We’ve all been there, it doesn’t make you a bad parent.
Dannyrobbo08/03/2020 10:48

Calpol and Nurofen on a serious note a tablet with some noise …Calpol and Nurofen on a serious note a tablet with some noise cancelling headphones especially for take off like other have said. Also a window seat can pass half hour, a jigsaw and some small toys like cars. How long is the flight?

Yeah, the calpol and nurofen will be for me lol Always come off the plane with a headache.. but rather be coming off a plane alive with a headache than the alternative!

Flight is over 7 hours, so still a long time with a toddler who has tantrums at the most inconvenient of times!

Window seat - thank you
Jigsaw - that’s going on the list now too

She has all her small favourite toys (mad on erasers at the moment as well as a single piece of Lego which she just keeps in her hand all day long!)
When I used to fly in ecomedy class. Many British parents seemed to think that the seat-backs of the row ahead of them were a climbing frame for their little mutants. I resolved the issue by staying at the pointier end of the plane in recent years.
So, I'm somewhat out of touch with what their little treasures do on planes nowadays.
Edited by: "Erudite" 8th Mar
A few doses of Benadryl every few hours
Hennah08/03/2020 11:26

Yeah, the calpol and nurofen will be for me lol Always come off …Yeah, the calpol and nurofen will be for me lol Always come off the plane with a headache.. but rather be coming off a plane alive with a headache than the alternative! Flight is over 7 hours, so still a long time with a toddler who has tantrums at the most inconvenient of times! Window seat - thank youJigsaw - that’s going on the list now tooShe has all her small favourite toys (mad on erasers at the moment as well as a single piece of Lego which she just keeps in her hand all day long!)

you are brave, I’ve got 2 year old twins and we are thinking of going abroad this year and just the thought of them on a plane fills me with dread! It could go either way, she will either be that amazed about the whole thing then tire herself out, Or hate it and tantrum and your in for a long flight let us know how it goes
Get a tablet or iPad and then download all the free games from Cbeebies, Lego Duplo, the Kids iPlayer app, and a big selection of things like Bing, Hey Duggie, Twirywoos, etc to watch in offline mode. You'll also want to get some child friendly headphones. And definitely don't bring bubbles, that's an absolutely terrible and messy idea for an flight. You'll also want a good selection of healthy snacks to nibble on, hungry and bored is a bad combination in a toddler.
Best option:

Hennah08/03/2020 10:38

Doing that as we speak.. my little pony, horrid Henry, hey duggie, mr …Doing that as we speak.. my little pony, horrid Henry, hey duggie, mr bean, shimmer & shine, Ben & holly and of course Peppa pig! Earphones ticked off the list too. Cheers! This is the reason I asked, always good to get advice and help from good people so thank you to everyone for taking time out for me x

Get headphones rather earphones, a pair of buds isn't designed to fit and stay in a two year old's ears, they'll just keep falling out leading to frustration.
Bubbles are not very considerate to anyone else on the plane. Ipad, colouring, stickers etc. My toddler was happy with these and some nice snacks. Our seats were covered in stickers when we landed, we just tidied up before we left.
Edited by: "choccie32" 8th Mar
Something creative to keep their hands busy.. chemistry set maybe?
rtbsghgfh08/03/2020 13:45

Something creative to keep their hands busy.. chemistry set maybe?

Play doh - loves it!
3 seats, middle of plane, so parents can sneak out either side as / if / when.
Comfy travel clothes to sleep in (ie fleece top fleece jacket & warm cords) ... Then the floor of the plane can become a kid crash out zone is how we played it.
Also, pills from doc so whoever drives at either end can get some sleep...you will be groggy if not used to ponytail with the fear of going to sleep whilst kid is awake & a drive at the other end.
Nintendo DS (kid)
Small tablet for kid loaded with the favoured films.water bottles filled after security.
Favourite travelling companion sort toy (also cuddle material)
Led nighlight of staying in a hotel with a kid room (investment).

A shop that does helium balloons (find one when you get there, if it's Canada by chance then the great Canadian dollar store fills them cheaply, ..buggy handle & hotel room entertainment.
Pre check restaurant & diner menus so you can make some confident calls for a quiet corner booth where your kid can crash whilst you eat.
Crayons & printed picturebook paper for eating out, if not provided.

Not europe now then!? Where is the new plan / season.
Mp3 player with small speaker for night time routine story / song continuity for hotel or for toddler to listen to inflight.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 8th Mar
Tell them to go and play outside.
Erudite08/03/2020 11:27

When I used to fly in ecomedy class. Many British parents seemed to …When I used to fly in ecomedy class. Many British parents seemed to think that the seat-backs of the row ahead of them were a climbing frame for their little mutants. I resolved the issue by staying at the pointier end of the plane in recent years.So, I'm somewhat out of touch with what their little treasures do on planes nowadays.

My daughter was so used to transatlantic flights that she was berating & annoyed about misbehaving kids by the time she was 5.
"Why doesn't that parent control their badly behaved child" she used to pipe up ..good on her.

Take off worries in the early years were sorted by doing the take off routine of "the little einsteins" thigh clapping as the plane got faster... then teaching her the ear air pop, ...after all that she'd tuck herself on the floor & sleep with "bear" as a pillow.

Bear was a useful travel companion to use because bear was excited to see a new country (or Canada again) & needed his human friend to show him around & to help him be brave in a new place. ..pictures so bear had holiday memories too ..etc.
Dannyrobbo08/03/2020 11:52

you are brave, I’ve got 2 year old twins and we are thinking of going a …you are brave, I’ve got 2 year old twins and we are thinking of going abroad this year and just the thought of them on a plane fills me with dread! It could go either way, she will either be that amazed about the whole thing then tire herself out, Or hate it and tantrum and your in for a long flight let us know how it goes

not as much as the shocked "deer in headlights" eyes of passengers embarking, until you prove you care about everyone's flight comfort & sanity by teaching them young how to travel.
Echo the Calpol (sachets) as a back up, dose your kid pre flight
& Any "dissolve on the tongue" meds that may help & are light.
NO BANANAS
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 8th Mar
Mr_Gus08/03/2020 14:18

3 seats, middle of plane, so parents can sneak out either side as / if / …3 seats, middle of plane, so parents can sneak out either side as / if / when.Comfy travel clothes to sleep in (ie fleece top fleece jacket & warm cords) ... Then the floor of the plane can become a kid crash out zone is how we played it.Also, pills from doc so whoever drives at either end can get some sleep...you will be groggy if not used to ponytail with the fear of going to sleep whilst kid is awake & a drive at the other end.Nintendo DS (kid)Small tablet for kid loaded with the favoured films.water bottles filled after security.Favourite travelling companion sort toy (also cuddle material)Led nighlight of staying in a hotel with a kid room (investment).A shop that does helium balloons (find one when you get there, if it's Canada by chance then the great Canadian dollar store fills them cheaply, ..buggy handle & hotel room entertainment.Pre check restaurant & diner menus so you can make some confident calls for a quiet corner booth where your kid can crash whilst you eat.Crayons & printed picturebook paper for eating out, if not provided.Not europe now then!? Where is the new plan / season.Mp3 player with small speaker for night time routine story / song continuity for hotel or for toddler to listen to inflight.

Thank you.

Decided on Europe for summer 2021 all being well and we’ve also cut down the amount of cities we will visit thanks to all the great advice. Decided to do Disneyland Paris with kids and a couple of other destinations.. then do the city breaks as adults throughout the year.
Edited by: "Hennah" 8th Mar
Wrap up the small toys, pencils, stickers etc. Then give them at nicely spaced intervals... with the proviso good behaviour could earn another gift...a new travelling companion soft toy makes the best first gift I found!
Don’t forget some sweets / lollies for take off and landing. Helps re-pressurise ears
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants