Groups

Distributed computing

So many folk on this site/forum, just wondering........how many of you run Distributed Computing projects?

Examples being [email protected] and [email protected](Google).

I'd like to see more folk involved in this valuable research so if anyone is interested please feel free to contact me.

11 Comments

I used to do [email protected], not done any of the others

I'm not convinced of the 'value' of the current crop of main DC projects compared to the cost in terms of power consumption/carbon footprint they potentially consume - if you are leaving a computer on just for the purpose of running a DC app you really want to be sure it is worthwhile (as it will consume around 3kWH of energy in a day) - SETI was certainly a bit of a joke, folding may be more worthwhile.

Congrats on your 1000th post robotochan - welcome to the solar flare club

I used to do Folding on the PS3 untill I got rid of it.

Original Poster

jah128;2324451

if you are leaving a computer on just for the purpose of running a DC … if you are leaving a computer on just for the purpose of running a DC app you really want to be sure it is worthwhile (as it will consume around 3kWH of energy in a day) -

Yup, can get costly,I've had to cut down to 6 24/7 rigs and retired 5 of the others.....stupid electricity costs.:x

vaiopup;2324541

Yup, can get costly,I've had to cut down to 6 24/7 rigs and retired 5 of … Yup, can get costly,I've had to cut down to 6 24/7 rigs and retired 5 of the others.....stupid electricity costs.:x

Running from home? Ouch...

Don't get me wrong - I think distributed computing is a great idea - but just not for the previous few generations of CPU which are very power inefficient...

jah128;2324565

Running from home? Ouch... Don't get me wrong - I think distributed … Running from home? Ouch... Don't get me wrong - I think distributed computing is a great idea - but just not for the previous few generations of CPU which are very power inefficient...

i think my 4 x 2.4ghz cores do a fantastic job... i may try to convince my college to run the projects

I used to leave all my rigs on 24/7, includung the kids pc and run folding at home but are all turned off now due to carbon footprint/costs etc.

Original Poster

We have no car and we rarely use our home heating.
    Our carbon footprint is actually well below average, mainly due to the above 2 points.

Also, nothing is ever left on standby.....when not in use it goes completely off.

Yes the old single cores are inefficient for 24/7 full load use.

Right now I am down to 1 quad and 5 duallies..

The single quad outproduces all the single core rigs I shut down and uses way less electricity.

Maybe I should sell my duallies and replace with another pair of quads.

Of course, one doesn't have to run dc 24/7 but no reason why folk can't run projects for the time they have their systems turned on anyway.

My favourite project these days is [email protected]
    Protein folding like [email protected] but much less hassle to run as it uses Boinc....and the work units are much shorter.

Unfortunately one can't run Poem on GPU's though.

Heh, I find that if the computers are on in the "computer room" in the house 24/7 heating is rarely needed!! :-D And the heaters use a lot more energy than the PCs...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tooth extraction89
      2. Do you use a case on your iPhone?22
      3. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?611
      4. Amazon prime subscribe & save47

See more discussions