Groups

District 9

anyone else seen this film yet? loved it, amazing film, if you haven't seen it i'd highly recommend it.

103 Comments

R5 already!!!

Getting brilliant reviews, not seen 1 that said it was less than brilliant!

Original Poster

Naeem786;6221137

R5 already!!!

yeah that's where i got it :whistling::thumbsup:

Watched it last night and thought it started out weird... then about 20 mins in it got pretty damn good. When it finished i thought i actually quite enjoyed it. Its just the first 20mins was a bit 'cringey'... but i guess thats what it was supposed to be to show how much of a geek he was.

The thing that i found funny though was that his accent seemed to changed from being S African at the start...to almost Scottish when the film got going... anyone else find this ??

yep watched it yesterday afternoon, its ok, more like a poor man's independence day

Original Poster

wickedteen;6221223

yep watched it yesterday afternoon, its ok, more like a poor man's … yep watched it yesterday afternoon, its ok, more like a poor man's independence day

:? seriously?? this was far better than independence day, imo anyway

Banned

wickedteen;6221223

yep watched it yesterday afternoon, its ok, more like a poor man's … yep watched it yesterday afternoon, its ok, more like a poor man's independence day

Maybe films aren't your thing:whistling:

had to switch it off cos of the STH AFRICN (south african) accents. just make me cringe.
    worse than listening to UK actors attempting to be American or Yanks trying to be Brit!

i know everyone is either loving or hating this flick but 20mins in I couldnt stomach anymore of the main actor's accent.

Banned

slackrat77;6221275

had to switch it off cos of the STH AFRICN (south african) accents. just … had to switch it off cos of the STH AFRICN (south african) accents. just make me cringe.worse than listening to UK actors attempting to be American or Yanks trying to be Brit!i know everyone is either loving or hating this flick but 20mins in I couldnt stomach anymore of the main actor's accent.

http://transitionland.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/facepalm.jpg

hated it-this film is supposed to be sending a serious message about "ghettoisation"-of the jews in germany,the poor in south africa etc and about how we shouldnt be afraid of people just because we percieve them as "different".

It just bored me to tears-from the REC style docu feel they tried to give it to the alien effects that havent moved on since the first predator movie.

FilthAndFurry;6221231

Maybe films aren't your thing:whistling:

Its called 'an opinion'

Banned

skusey;6221357

Its called 'an opinion'

I'm pretty sure most people worked out that's what my post was...but thanks:thinking:

Original Poster

barky;6221325

hated it-this film is supposed to be sending a serious message about … hated it-this film is supposed to be sending a serious message about "ghettoisation"-of the jews in germany,the poor in south africa etc and about how we shouldnt be afraid of people just because we percieve them as "different"..

I just took it for what it was, a very good action film, i think you're looking too deeply into it to be honest;-)

FilthAndFurry;6221389

I'm pretty sure most people worked out that's what my post was...but … I'm pretty sure most people worked out that's what my post was...but thanks:thinking:

then every opinion counts, not just your trolling
    HTH:thumbsup:

Banned

barky;6221325

hated it-this film is supposed to be sending a serious message about … hated it-this film is supposed to be sending a serious message about "ghettoisation"-of the jews in germany,the poor in south africa etc and about how we shouldnt be afraid of people just because we percieve them as "different".It just bored me to tears-from the REC style docu feel they tried to give it to the alien effects that havent moved on since the first predator movie.

And did it effectively communicate that 'message' in a thought-provoking and interesting way?

FilthAndFurry;6221402

And did it effectively communicate that 'message' in a thought-provoking … And did it effectively communicate that 'message' in a thought-provoking and interesting way?

not in my opinion,no,it was schoolboy simplistic

Banned

skusey;6221397

then every opinion counts, not just your trollingHTH:thumbsup:

Actually, not all opinions count equally.

If someone's frame of reference for this type of film is Independance Day, then maybe one should not place too much stock in it.:thumbsup:

souljacker;6221395

I just took it for what it was, a very good action film, i think you're … I just took it for what it was, a very good action film, i think you're looking too deeply into it to be honest;-)

I was at the q+a session with terri tatchel(the co writer) at the edinburgh film festival and this is the intended subtext so it isnt me looking deeply into it believe me.

Original Poster

barky;6221443

I was at the q+a session with terri tatchel(the co writer) at the … I was at the q+a session with terri tatchel(the co writer) at the edinburgh film festival and this is the intended subtext so it isnt me looking deeply into it believe me.

well myself and most other people won't know the supposed subtext and so will just not look too deeply into it and take it for what it actually is:)

Original Poster

jellybaby22;6221448

its a film about aliens living in south africa.....aliens that look like … its a film about aliens living in south africa.....aliens that look like big prawn things......and it was a bit funny twice.....other than that I must have missed any hidden meaning it was trying to convey.......:?:oops:

That's exactly what it is, god knows what it's got to do with jews, hitler etc, i must have fell asleep at that bit

Banned

souljacker;6221459

That's exactly what it is, god knows what it's got to do with jews, … That's exactly what it is, god knows what it's got to do with jews, hitler etc, i must have fell asleep at that bit

Different people are able to understand films on different levels.

FilthAndFurry;6221434

Actually, not all opinions count equally.If someone's frame of reference … Actually, not all opinions count equally.If someone's frame of reference for this type of film is Independance Day, then maybe one should not place too much stock in it.:thumbsup:

George Orwell?
    :whistling:

Banned

jellybaby22;6221448

its a film about aliens living in south africa.....aliens that look like … its a film about aliens living in south africa.....aliens that look like big prawn things......and it was a bit funny twice.....other than that I must have missed any hidden meaning it was trying to convey.......:?: :oops:

I wouldn't say it was that hidden.

Banned

skusey;6221474

George Orwell?:whistling:

You do realise just saying George Orwell or 1984 doesn't actually mean much in a discussion, no matter how much the tabloids use it:roll:

FilthAndFurry;6221492

You do realise just saying George Orwell or 1984 doesn't actually mean … You do realise just saying George Orwell or 1984 doesn't actually mean much in a discussion, no matter how much the tabloids use it:roll:

Tabloids?
    Dont read them myself.:)

Banned

jellybaby22;6221486

was too me...but then I was only going to watch it for … was too me...but then I was only going to watch it for entertainment...not to look for anything else.....:oops:

People are entertained in different ways by different things.

Having said that, it hardly takes that much looking, unless you're not at all knowledgeable about even fairly recent South African history....

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry;6221469

It's not on different levels, it's about aliens that look like prawns living in south africa, just because it was set in south africa it's suddenly got a hidden meaning?

jellybaby22;6221514

that will be me then......:roll:Wouldnt have bothered going to see it if … that will be me then......:roll:Wouldnt have bothered going to see it if I had known it had some hidden moral message.........Im off to watch home alone now...try to fiqure out its hidden message.....:-D

:w00t:

Banned

souljacker;6221508

It's not on different levels, it's about aliens that look like prawns … It's not on different levels, it's about aliens that look like prawns living in south africa, just because it was set in south africa it's suddenly got a hidden meaning?

It's not a hidden meaning. It's a fairly obvious allegory.

Original Poster

jellybaby22;6221514

that will be me then......:roll:Wouldnt have bothered going to see it if … that will be me then......:roll:Wouldnt have bothered going to see it if I had known it had some hidden moral message.........Im off to watch home alone now...try to fiqure out its hidden message.....:-D

Virtually all the people that watch it won't be looking for a so called hidden message so i wouldn't worry about it :thumbsup:

Banned

souljacker;6221542

Virtually all the people that watch it won't be looking for a so called … Virtually all the people that watch it won't be looking for a so called hidden message so i wouldn't worry about it :thumbsup:

That's a bit harsh on the audience...

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry;6221549

That's a bit harsh on the audience...

how is it?

Banned

souljacker;6221560

how is it?

Implying that they aren't able to deduce a fairly obvious aspect of the movie.

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry;6221578

Implying that they aren't able to deduce a fairly obvious aspect of the … Implying that they aren't able to deduce a fairly obvious aspect of the movie.

They aren't supposed to deduce that though, who says they are you? In every review i've read of this, and i've read a lot, not one mentions this so called allegory

FilthAndFurry;6221578

Implying that they aren't able to deduce a fairly obvious aspect of the … Implying that they aren't able to deduce a fairly obvious aspect of the movie.

FilthAndFurry;6221469

:oops:You did; Implying that they aren't able to deduce a fairly obvious aspect of the movie.

Banned

souljacker;6221595

They aren't supposed to deduce that though, who says they are you? In … They aren't supposed to deduce that though, who says they are you? In every review i've read of this, and i've read a lot, not one mentions this so called allegory

No offence, but I think you're being a bit naive. Most films contain numerous levels of meaning from a number of sources.

District 9 is a fairly obvious allegory and I'd be surprised if a decent film critic didn't mention it in their review.

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry;6221616

No offence, but I think you're being a bit naive. Most films contain … No offence, but I think you're being a bit naive. Most films contain numerous levels of meaning from a number of sources.District 9 is a fairly obvious allegory and I'd be surprised if a decent film critic didn't mention it in their review.

link?

bruno had a better story line to it then district 9

Original Poster

skusey;6221605

:oops:You did; Implying that they aren't able to deduce a fairly obvious … :oops:You did; Implying that they aren't able to deduce a fairly obvious aspect of the movie.

yep :roll:

FilthAndFurry;6221616

District 9 is a fairly obvious allegory .

to those that give a toss maybe, cool alien flick with dna guns to me :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1841335
      2. Toys R Us may soon be Toys No More - USA possibly filing for Bankruptcy2425
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767171
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047080

See more discussions