Ditch that tumble drier and save &&&s

Found 18th Aug 2010
I've been doing some testing this summer, using a rotary clothes dryer instead of the tumble drier - using an electrical meter to measure the savings.

They're really quite significant and, whilst I knew the tumble dryer would use a lot of power, I didn't realise quite how much it added up.

Take a look:

jaffacake.net/dx/…ing

17 Comments

If you have a dog as well you can also save on shoe leather - no need to take the dog for walks, just attach the lead to the dryer & hey presto! the dog can run for miles without you having to leave the house. This also helps you to dry clothes on days when there's little or no wind!

Original Poster

cis_groupie

If you have a dog as well you can also save on shoe leather - no need to … If you have a dog as well you can also save on shoe leather - no need to take the dog for walks, just attach the lead to the dryer & hey presto! the dog can run for miles without you having to leave the house. This also helps you to dry clothes on days when there's little or no wind!

Oooh, nice...does that work with toddlers too?

Ive found that if I eat only one doughnut a day instead of 30 doughnuts a day, I usually lose a bit of weight.

Add to that, I dont seem to use so much toilet paper!?

i hate tumble driers but when we have such crap weather its hard to use..saying that i only use it for towels, blankets and underwear

Banned

when were you born ro53ben...I've always hung washing out in summer. As long as its not raining it will dry. We don't have a tumble dryer because they cost so much to run. We have a clothes dryer line in the spare room and a dehumidifier for the wet days and during winter. Dries in a night.

Original Poster

ilovepink

i hate tumble driers but when we have such crap weather its hard to … i hate tumble driers but when we have such crap weather its hard to use..saying that i only use it for towels, blankets and underwear

No reason why you can't use an indoor dryer for underwear and towels, although blankets can be a bit big. I'm just shocked I may be spending up to £10/mth on tumble drying!

Original Poster

lumoruk

when were you born ro53ben...I've always hung washing out in summer. As … when were you born ro53ben...I've always hung washing out in summer. As long as its not raining it will dry. We don't have a tumble dryer because they cost so much to run. We have a clothes dryer line in the spare room and a dehumidifier for the wet days and during winter. Dries in a night.

I actually used to put washing out for my mum but after 10yrs of living in my own flat without a garden, kinda got out of the habit and stuck with the dryer when we moved house.

Any idea how much your dehumidifier costs to run?

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

Does not using something work for others things to save electricity or … Does not using something work for others things to save electricity or just tumble dryers?

Well, not using the oven might...but it would be a little hard to cook without it. Not many times you have such a readily available alternative.

I turn all my clothes into kites

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/8493/kegs.jpg

lumoruk

when were you born ro53ben...I've always hung washing out in summer. As … when were you born ro53ben...I've always hung washing out in summer. As long as its not raining it will dry. We don't have a tumble dryer because they cost so much to run. We have a clothes dryer line in the spare room and a dehumidifier for the wet days and during winter. Dries in a night.

+1 - I love hanging the washing out whenever I can. Also use the conservatory which is like a greenhouse and its dries really quickly. Have about 4 clothes horse so my place is like a chinese laundry in the winter.

I hung my clothes out to dry but they were all stolen.
Really need a garden for this sort of activity as they are easy pickings on a city centre street

check how much it cost to run your electric kettle and then you will go without tea/coffee

Banned

boabbyrab

check how much it cost to run your electric kettle and then you will go … check how much it cost to run your electric kettle and then you will go without tea/coffee

nah 9.5Kw shower is worse

Original Poster

boabbyrab

check how much it cost to run your electric kettle and then you will go … check how much it cost to run your electric kettle and then you will go without tea/coffee

That's already on my website actually - both the kettle and the Tassimo coffee maker.

Banned

kaks26

+1 - I love hanging the washing out whenever I can. Also use the … +1 - I love hanging the washing out whenever I can. Also use the conservatory which is like a greenhouse and its dries really quickly. Have about 4 clothes horse so my place is like a chinese laundry in the winter.

You shouldn't dry clothes inside the house, can cause damp and mould problems and affect your health

Banned

goldmax

You shouldn't dry clothes inside the house, can cause damp and mould … You shouldn't dry clothes inside the house, can cause damp and mould problems and affect your health

hum all good points if I didn't have a dehumidifier.

ro53ben

No reason why you can't use an indoor dryer for underwear and towels, … No reason why you can't use an indoor dryer for underwear and towels, although blankets can be a bit big. I'm just shocked I may be spending up to £10/mth on tumble drying!

only in the winter i use it, to dry those things as i am in a 1 bed flat adn will be using the airers to dry all our clothes lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Is Black Friday a big con!1926
    2. The FREE UltraViolet Codes thread2068
    3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18406824
    4. The Last of Us Remastered (PS4) £10.77 (Add-on item) @ Amazon USA39

See more discussions