Groups

divx, divx hd, wmv hd, mkv, avi, xvids!CONFUSED!!!

Hi, i wanted to ask i know divx and avi's are formats which are compressed formats of dvds etc, but i wanted to ask, why are there so many formats and whats best for watching on a HD TV

ie, divx, mkv. Whats wmv hd?

I have a xbox 360, and also a lcd tv, and 5.1, how do u convert FILES TO DIVX HD format and wmv hd?!

18 Comments

Original Poster

i found out what wmv hd is, whats everyones preference and why?!

I believe x264 is another compression used for hi def material?

Banned

a bit like asking why so many different firewalls.

at the end of the day, matroska is best for quality/compression and anything microsoft is worst (WMV). MP4 isnt any better mind - strictly for ipod size viewers..

for High Def, the Xbox 360 supports h.264 (not x.264) and WMV:HD

got no problems with divx on a hdtv

Original Poster

whats h.264?!

Original Poster

so if i use mkv and want to convert to divx or wmv hd is it possible?

What file type are the files you want to convert???

Original Poster

i want to convert A 720p mkv file on to dvd if thats possible or on to WMV hd to watch on my xbox 360

mkv2vob is pretty good whilst keeping quality up, the .vob works on PS3 but i cant comment on xbox...

Original Poster

dont have a ps3 not yet anyways ps on a ps3 can you play mkv if you use tversity/.

Banned

roadie;1849179

so if i use mkv and want to convert to divx or wmv hd is it possible?

deathtrap3000;1849200

What file type are the files you want to convert???

I use convertxtodvd to convert practivally any divx, mkv etc to dvd format.

Original Poster

csiman, i have that programme, is it quick to convert a mkv file?

Original Poster

rep 4 cs

mkv is not actually a video compression codec, its a "container" like format for combining video,audio and subtitle streams into a single file, inside the mkv it is probably a mixture of these

Banned

roadie;1849695

csiman, i have that programme, is it quick to convert a mkv file?

depends on your pc. mine converts at a ratio of 2 to 1 (e.g. 30 minute video converts to dvd format in 15 mins)

roadie;1849257

i want to convert A 720p mkv file on to dvd if thats possible or on to … i want to convert A 720p mkv file on to dvd if thats possible or on to WMV hd to watch on my xbox 360

If you are able to stream, I use Encode360, dead simple, simply select the .mkv (which most HD downloads are in) select your desired output i.e. 720p and click convert.

Processor dependant it will usually take a couple of hours but massivly reduces the file size, say a .mkv is 7GB encode360 will get it down to 3/4GB at 720p.

Don't really see the point in putting an .mkv on a DVD surely you might as well just get the DIVX as all the quality will be lost.

to burn to a dvd i use convertxtodvd if i have more than 1 file to convert onto the same dvd or if its just 1 film i always use winavi as it is super quick and gives good results. lots of options as well. i also always use imgburn to burn the files onto disc as i have very very rarely ever produced coasters with it.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1016
      2. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…22
      3. Sad news about Barcelona26113
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764188

See more discussions