Groups

Dixons return/refund trouble

I recently purchased a hair dryer from dixons online at a cost of £17.99 for my girlfriends birthday.

The hair dryer did not come in time so I went out and bought another, and thought I would return the one to Dixons once it arrives.

I am now been told there is a £8 return fee to return the item! This sounds like a con to me, I though all items bought over the internet were fully refundalbe because of the distant selling act.

Can anyone give me any help of advice on this?

16 Comments

Does it mention the return fee on Dixons website under their terms and conditions?

If so, you've agreed to that contract mate.

Yes £8 is taking the mick .............. so
    As the item is faulty ;-) email them & ask for a pre-paid returns label so you can send it back for your full refund.

Original Poster

snowtiger;6143532

Yes £8 is taking the mick .............. soAs the item is faulty ;-) … Yes £8 is taking the mick .............. soAs the item is faulty ;-) email them & ask for a pre-paid returns label so you can send it back for your full refund.

If I had known I was goin to be stung by a return fee I would of done that, not sure if I can do that now, surely they will have a note on there system now of my request...

Any more suggestions, or laws that would help me?

I thought the DSR allows the right to a full refund, no matter what Dixons terms and conditions say.

Don't forget, Terms and Condions CANNOT overwrite your legal right.

peodude;6143644

I thought the DSR allows the right to a full refund, no matter what … I thought the DSR allows the right to a full refund, no matter what Dixons terms and conditions say.Don't forget, Terms and Condions CANNOT overwrite your legal right.

But surely you only have a legal right to return goods that are faulty - not because they didn't arrive within the time frame you wanted?

Original Poster

Having looked at the returns page on dixons, it does state the return fee of £7.99, but does not mention these are "terms and conditions" anywhere... How can these be a legal set of terms just because it is written on a website?

tinkerbell28;6143668

Yes but in the event of not wanting an item, NOT faulty, the customer … Yes but in the event of not wanting an item, NOT faulty, the customer has to pay return postage, if stated by the retailer, if no return cost/procedure is stated the retailer has to pay. So if it's outlined in the t&c's not a lot op can do.

This isn't a return postage though by the sound of it. This sounds like a 'restocking' fee.

You are entitled to a refund including original postage.

go.avforums.com/?id…pdf

3.48 The DSRs require you to refund any money paid by or on behalf ofthe consumer in relation to the contract to the person who made the payment. This means the full price of the goods, or deposit or pre-payment made, including the cost of delivery. The essence of distance selling is that consumers buy from home and receive goods at home. In these circumstances, almost every case of homeshopping will involve delivery of the goods ordered and so delivery forms an essential part of the contract

tinkerbell28;6143668

Yes but in the event of not wanting an item, NOT faulty, the customer … Yes but in the event of not wanting an item, NOT faulty, the customer has to pay return postage, if stated by the retailer, if no return cost/procedure is stated the retailer has to pay. So if it's outlined in the t&c's not a lot op can do.

Only thing OP could try and do is see if Dixons will allow OP to arrange postage themselves instead of having the item collected?

Doesn't sound to me like a restocking fee....sounds like a return delivery fee?? Which they're entitled to charge

Original Poster

Thankyou peodude, thats very interesting. I will have a look into that.

Was you given a date of arrival at all? If it came later they have breached the contract anyway.

tinkerbell28;6143750

You are NOT entitled to a refund of return postage if the retailer … You are NOT entitled to a refund of return postage if the retailer specifies this explicitly and the cost before purchase, but no a restocking fee is not allowed, this is POSTAGE.

I didn't say return postage, i was talking about initial postage, although i now see that Dixons have dropped their delivery charges now, so a refund of Free Delivery is £0 anyway.

Does the customer HAVE to get it collected anyway? They can just use their own cheaper postage method. Nothing in the DSR about that bit.

tinkerbell28;6143842

You said the charge was a restocking fee, it's not it's the cost of … You said the charge was a restocking fee, it's not it's the cost of return postage which op will have to pay.

Yes, but it is unfair that a retailer states that they have to use THEIR collection method. Unfair T&C are null and void.

Banned

peodude;6143869

Yes, but it is unfair that a retailer states that they have to use THEIR … Yes, but it is unfair that a retailer states that they have to use THEIR collection method. Unfair T&C are null and void.

:roll:

you have a choice

Original Poster

Thanks for all the info guys! I think I might try my chances at having a moan at them on the phone, you never know they might cave and collect for free if I kick off enough.

can't be arsed to look it up but would of thought any restrictions on return costs may be classed as an unfair contract term.
    The DSRs make NO mention of having to comply with companies return procedures at all
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …94170
      2. O2 priority £1 lunch to end for good55
      3. Updated 22/8/17: List of companies which spam or have been hacked2883
      4. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1215

See more discussions