DIY AC ?

Posted 2nd Aug
Has anyone fitted a split AC system themselves?
Was it easy ? Any pitfalls ? any advice please? any recommended systems ? I see there are precharged ones available.

Yes, I know I should get an F-Gas engineer to fit it but well that turns a £600 A/C system into £1850 (cheapest quote I got).
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
I thought about doing it myself. It looks really easy. As simple as hanging a tv on the wall. But as you say it’s the f gas certificate that will prove problematic when you come to sell the property.
deleted2523443
Wadda02/08/2020 14:36

I thought about doing it myself. It looks really easy. As simple as …I thought about doing it myself. It looks really easy. As simple as hanging a tv on the wall. But as you say it’s the f gas certificate that will prove problematic when you come to sell the property.

yeah although i don't plan to sell unless im in dire straits, our plan is to rent it out if we want to move. but I suppose you could always rip it out and sell it / dispose of it / move it to the new place. They do look easy, I've watched a few videos now and if you do it properly (leak tests etc) then it looks to me like I can do it myself. I found many blogs saying don't do it but then they're always linked to a company that sells AC units so of course they don't want people to do it themselves. I just don't get why it costs £1,200 for someone to install it given how much / what work is involved. I guess that's UK labour rates tho.
If you rent out you need an electrical certificate now.

maybe you could do the physical work and agree a deal with a f gas electrician to connect it up and sign it off?
deleted2523443
Wadda02/08/2020 14:43

If you rent out you need an electrical certificate now. maybe you could do …If you rent out you need an electrical certificate now. maybe you could do the physical work and agree a deal with a f gas electrician to connect it up and sign it off?

yeah thats a good plan, but I've tried that with electricians and unless they did the whole job they're usually not up for it. but worth a try for sure. Thanks.
I haven't done it myself but you might find this useful: wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/ind…ner
I have read of people paying an engineer £150 to commission their system.
deleted2523443
quig02/08/2020 15:03

I haven't done it myself but you might find this useful: …I haven't done it myself but you might find this useful: http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Split-type_Room_Air_ConditionerI have read of people paying an engineer £150 to commission their system.

This is awesome! thank you. Really useful in-depth wiki
AC engineer here - please don't bite my head off!

I think you may be confused; most AC systems are precharged, but require proper installation to have an efficient system - they are not DIY systems, and can't really be installed unless you have the pro tools. They won't have pre-charges lines and should require you flare each end. The old true DIY systems should be illegal but is a bit of a grey area - if they have precharged lines, you're going to have an ugly looking system unless the pipe run is exactly the length of the precharged line!

The correct way to install a system is to vacuum out the lines which make it so that the system is as efficient as possible, and removes the need to "purge the system" which is now illegal. To handle any refrigerant you need to be FGas registered, and to buy a precharged system you also need to be FGas registered (although, again, a grey area - suppliers shouldn't be selling unless you have a FGas certificate)

In other words, it's not as easy as it used to be. You will need, at the very least, pipe working tools, flaring kit and vacuum pump (and a 2079 C&G qualification or equivalent to not be breaking the law).

In my professional opinion, I would say £1850 is too expensive unless you're in London. With a straight forward (through the wall) install, you should be able to get a fully installed, and decent, system for less than £1k.
Edited by: "Dnallov" 2nd Aug
deleted2523443
Dnallov02/08/2020 15:44

AC engineer here - please don't bite my head off!I think you may be …AC engineer here - please don't bite my head off!I think you may be confused; most AC systems are precharged, but require proper installation to have an efficient system - they are not DIY systems, and can't really be installed unless you have the pro tools. They won't have pre-charges lines and should require you flare each end. The old true DIY systems should be illegal but is a bit of a grey area - if they have precharged lines, you're going to have an ugly looking system unless the pipe run is exactly the length of the precharged line!The correct way to install a system is to vacuum out the lines which make it so that the system is as efficient as possible, and removes the need to "purge the system" which is now illegal. To handle any refrigerant you need to be FGas registered, and to buy a precharged system you also need to be FGas registered (although, again, a grey area - suppliers shouldn't be selling unless you have a FGas certificate)In other words, it's not as easy as it used to be. You will need, at the very least, pipe working tools, flaring kit and vacuum pump (and a 2079 C&G qualification or equivalent to not be breaking the law).In my professional opinion, I would say £1850 is too expensive unless you're in London. With a straight forward (through the wall) install, you should be able to get a fully installed, and decent, system for less than £1k.

Hey, I hope I wasn't offensive when discussing the costs from engineers, but I can't afford the install prices given and I've had 3 quotes. If it were £1,000 i'd be happy to pay it but I can't seem to get a quote for that. Probably best not to ask during summer though right ? I've seen a few youtube videos about the pre-charged systems and yeah a few people have to coil the pipes around. The sellers don't seem to have a problem selling to people without F-Gas qualifications although they do state if you DIY it then you have zero warranty.

I don't mean to be rude about your profession, but the quotes i've had are in my opinion way too much. I don't understand the costs involved for a day's work to be £1,200 but you're right I know the way to do it professionally is with an F-Gas engineer.
deleted252344302/08/2020 16:05

Hey, I hope I wasn't offensive when discussing the costs from engineers, …Hey, I hope I wasn't offensive when discussing the costs from engineers, but I can't afford the install prices given and I've had 3 quotes. If it were £1,000 i'd be happy to pay it but I can't seem to get a quote for that. Probably best not to ask during summer though right ? I've seen a few youtube videos about the pre-charged systems and yeah a few people have to coil the pipes around. The sellers don't seem to have a problem selling to people without F-Gas qualifications although they do state if you DIY it then you have zero warranty. I don't mean to be rude about your profession, but the quotes i've had are in my opinion way too much. I don't understand the costs involved for a day's work to be £1,200 but you're right I know the way to do it professionally is with an F-Gas engineer.

No offence was taken! I work in this trade (not domestic anymore - all commercial, so can't help myself!) and know some of my fellow engineers can take the mick with what they charge. However, some say we may be overcharging, but it is more a case of an expensive trade to be in; costs surrounding regulation which requires the right tools, and of course insurance - it all adds up. Besides that, it is a skilled trade; I inherited my trade from my father, and something he said stayed with me - you charge for the equipment, the time and for what you know.

However, I maintain that £1800 is OTT. Being summer doesn't help, but still, I reckon you could shop about for a better deal. Some guys do it across the country and can be a fair bit cheaper than the locals - you'll find that there are adverts on eBay, so worth a look. Be sure to ask the right questions when getting quotes!
Post a comment
@
    Text