DIY ADVICE......STAINS / VARNISH DOORS

Found 21st Aug 2011
Just bought brand new doors for the 3 rooms downstairs. Could not get the right shade of door with etched glass that I wanted (has to match new flooring), so have had to settle for unfinished pine doors which I am going to have to stain / varnish myself.

Just quickly popped into BQ. Advised not to stain then apply varnish on top because this can "bubble" and spoil the finish, they suggested a combined product that will do both jobs in one, £17 per tin for what I need....!! Will need a few tins to put a few coats on 3 doors. (I think the £17 was for approx 1 litre tin) Sandolin I think it was called

Have to say, I am a bit shocked at the cost of this. Not worked out how many tins I will need yet. Are there any alternatives to sorting this problem please ?
Community Updates
MiscDoor
8 Comments
It is surprising how far this goes - I had the same problem I bought sadolin all my doors downstairs are stained, rubbed down, stained again, rubbed down again then stained for the last time, I bought 2 tins of sadolin - or something similar out in the shed now - I actually had from a cheap chop I think it was Hyper Value and I still have loads left. I have 9 doors downstairs
It really does not take that long to do - sounds worse than it actually is lean the door against the wall with a towel by the wall and stain then wait and turn around and stain other side then rub down both sides - do all rubbing down at the same time to avoid dust
Edited by: "octobergirl" 21st Aug 2011
1 litre should be enough for 3 glazed doors!
csiman

1 litre should be enough for 3 glazed doors!

Agreed.
1 litre will be plenty ( 25 years as painter & decorator )
Many thanks, as ever guys.

Doors are half glazed, victorian style. I was planning to get them all done before hanging them. I know there will be edges to re-do one planed / cut to right size...........or should I get them hung, then paint ?

Just looked on the BQ website. The cheaper Ronseal make, does not have the shade I need. The Sandolin brand seems to be the best match for what I want. Have just found a painters merchants near me. Only open weekdays so will be visiting there this week.

The floor I ordered was oak, But now it is in place, it's more like light cherry shade of wood, hence all this messing about. Nobody else to blame but myself oO

Edited by: "iglimpse" 21st Aug 2011
Hang em then paint - it's what I did - easier as you don't have to wait for the varnish to dry to do different areas.

BTW, I have oak flooring and had to do the same - I found antique pine stain the best match, although my oak floor is standard colour.
moob

Hang em then paint - it's what I did - easier as you don't have to wait … Hang em then paint - it's what I did - easier as you don't have to wait for the varnish to dry to do different areas.BTW, I have oak flooring and had to do the same - I found antique pine stain the best match, although my oak floor is standard colour.

But I have just got rid of loads of antique pine cladding on kitchen ceiling, so in principle I have to avoid that shade:p
I used sadolin on an exterior door - it did not live up to it's promises despite 3 coats on each edge.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants