DIY Baby Hamper on Budget

Posted 7th OctEdited by:"Ana10"
Hi,

I am planning to do a hamper for a baby boy/Mum mostly including essentials and need some help.

I got some Nappies, nappy Bag and wipes for Aldi ~£3/4
I am planning to get some things from:
-Superdrug (Baby range and Maternity range (Maternity pads,Breast pads,Nipple cream,Bath salt...) ~£10
-Wilko: Dove Baby Shampoo and body wash £2
-Lindlt coconut (as its a baby blue package..) £4

I still am looking for a Hamper Basket or Storage Basket (Not sure where- Ebay/Amazon, Wilko, The range, B&M, Ikea ?)

Need to get cellophane and blue bows/ribbons (Poundland)

I would need some Clothes also for a baby boy?
Might get some socks and shoes
The baby is already around 3kg so should I get size 3+ month?
New borns just stay in sleep suit all day until 3 months right?
What would be best to get for a hamper ?

Where are the best shops for baby clothes at a good price ?
Any deals around?

Also she already has had a baby boy (Age 5 now)
So has many clothes to pass down

In total: It would cost me around £30/35 max
Thanks for the help !
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Nice idea and you can certainly put something lovely together for that kind of price.

I would need some Clothes also for a baby boy? - most baby clothes are pretty unisex so I think if you see something you think they'd like, just go for it. If you want to bulk up a hamper then you can't go wrong with multipacks of grows etc from Sainsbury's or Primark. They are mostly always 100% cotton because of the sensitivity of the skin. We used both and they are equally as nice.

Might get some socks and shoes? - socks is always a good should but personally i'd not bother with shoes. A lot of grows have built in feet too.

The baby is already around 3kg so should I get size 3+ month? - i'd probably go bigger. Newborn presents are usually 0-3m, 3-6m etc. Look at 12-18m so they see it now and put it away for a few months down the line.

New borns just stay in sleep suit all day until 3 months right? - ours did, yep!

Where are the best shops for baby clothes at a good price? - if you want your budget to stretch then get multipack items from Sainsbury's, Tesco, Primark etc. Always sale stuff in Matalan. If you want to have less in your hamper then your budget wouldn't stretch very far but Mothercare have some lovely pieces from the Little Bird range or The Boots Mini Club has some great bits too.

Muslins are always REALLY handy and you can never have enough of them and they're pretty cheap too. You can make them look much nicer with tying your own ribbon on too.

Just a few ideas from site:

Cute little sleeping bag - Grobag Ollie the owl 2.5 Tog 0-6m £7.99 @ Boots instore

Buy One Get One Half Price on baby clothing - Buy 1 get 1 half price on clearance clothing - online & instore + Free Click & Collect @ Mothercare

Hide n Squeek Eggs (6m+) - TOMY Toomies Hide n Squeak Eggs £6.33 prime / £11.15 non prime @ Amazon
magicjay198607/10/2019 15:55

Nice idea and you can certainly put something lovely together for that …Nice idea and you can certainly put something lovely together for that kind of price. I would need some Clothes also for a baby boy? - most baby clothes are pretty unisex so I think if you see something you think they'd like, just go for it. If you want to bulk up a hamper then you can't go wrong with multipacks of grows etc from Sainsbury's or Primark. They are mostly always 100% cotton because of the sensitivity of the skin. We used both and they are equally as nice. Might get some socks and shoes? - socks is always a good should but personally i'd not bother with shoes. A lot of grows have built in feet too.The baby is already around 3kg so should I get size 3+ month? - i'd probably go bigger. Newborn presents are usually 0-3m, 3-6m etc. Look at 12-18m so they see it now and put it away for a few months down the line. New borns just stay in sleep suit all day until 3 months right? - ours did, yep! Where are the best shops for baby clothes at a good price? - if you want your budget to stretch then get multipack items from Sainsbury's, Tesco, Primark etc. Always sale stuff in Matalan. If you want to have less in your hamper then your budget wouldn't stretch very far but Mothercare have some lovely pieces from the Little Bird range or The Boots Mini Club has some great bits too. Muslins are always REALLY handy and you can never have enough of them and they're pretty cheap too. You can make them look much nicer with tying your own ribbon on too. Just a few ideas from site: Cute little sleeping bag - Grobag Ollie the owl 2.5 Tog 0-6m £7.99 @ Boots instoreBuy One Get One Half Price on baby clothing - Buy 1 get 1 half price on clearance clothing - online & instore + Free Click & Collect @ MothercareHide n Squeek Eggs (6m+) - TOMY Toomies Hide n Squeak Eggs £6.33 prime / £11.15 non prime @ Amazon

Thank you !!
If it's anything like mine, industrial strength infacol by the gallon. If you've a few weeks of months until the day, potter found the sales and see what you can find. When mine was on the way, we just added a baby item to the weekly shop and soon amassed a fair old stash. Cellular blankets are cheap and cheerful. Socks, scratch mitts teethers, dummies are all low in price but nice to have a stash of. Look out for shops doing baby week promotions then look again the following week for them reducing the stock to clear it. I got a friends daughter a Chicco buggy for £25 from asda that way.
If they already have a child then make sure you get something for them. Everyone will be focusing on the baby so something small and a bit of attentiongoes a long way.
B and M have the empty hamper basket to create your own, for a fiver. ASDA do a lovely baby lavender range for about 89p each. There is a baby massage cream there, it may be listed as moisturiser. Def the baby range. You can also get liquid talc in that range for less than a quid. It feels like quality stuff xx
If it's of any use to you, I was in a Homebase store recently and they had these lovely presentation wicker hampers (including the 'filling' stuff) for sale - £4. Nice size and perfect for what you need to do. I just looked on their website and they aren't on there so I can't point you to a piccy but they were definitely in there. If you are passing a store, have a look in the section for household cleaning products etc. - or simply ask a staff member.

They were (off the top of my head) approx 18" long, 12" wide and maybe 8-10" deep. Wrapped in cellophane. Please don't make a 'special' trip however and blame me if they don't have any though...

Kind regards, Phsy.
Oh, and the last time I ever made up a hamper I paid a local florist a visit. Got some really nice "spotty" cellophane wrap @ 50p/mtr and the ribbon was cheap as you could buy as much or as little as needed - not a whole reel.
Phsycronix10/10/2019 11:01

If it's of any use to you, I was in a Homebase store recently and they had …If it's of any use to you, I was in a Homebase store recently and they had these lovely presentation wicker hampers (including the 'filling' stuff) for sale - £4. Nice size and perfect for what you need to do. I just looked on their website and they aren't on there so I can't point you to a piccy but they were definitely in there. If you are passing a store, have a look in the section for household cleaning products etc. - or simply ask a staff member.They were (off the top of my head) approx 18" long, 12" wide and maybe 8-10" deep. Wrapped in cellophane. Please don't make a 'special' trip however and blame me if they don't have any though... Kind regards, Phsy.

Phsycronix10/10/2019 11:04

Oh, and the last time I ever made up a hamper I paid a local florist a …Oh, and the last time I ever made up a hamper I paid a local florist a visit. Got some really nice "spotty" cellophane wrap @ 50p/mtr and the ribbon was cheap as you could buy as much or as little as needed - not a whole reel.

Thanks I need to go to b&m and might just go and have a look in home base to see.
I already bought cellophane in Poundland just need to find Ribbons so might check a florist. Will probably get a bouquet for the mother too.

Still have around 15 days until she gives birth.
Might wait until she comes home and settles a bit before bringing the hamper and flower over.
How about just a plastic box, but wrapped nicely and maybe artistically decorated, so it could be reused say for the five year old's toys.

I imagine she will have get lots of flowers. How about an afternoon tea voucher, hair or nails voucher or a 'promise note' to take her somewhere once she is back into a routine?
JimboParrot10/10/2019 16:48

How about just a plastic box, but wrapped nicely and maybe artistically …How about just a plastic box, but wrapped nicely and maybe artistically decorated, so it could be reused say for the five year old's toys.I imagine she will have get lots of flowers. How about an afternoon tea voucher, hair or nails voucher or a 'promise note' to take her somewhere once she is back into a routine?

Well i want to include some essential for her to in the hamper at the bottom just a couple but yes a day out or papmer day i think she would love it. Thank you !
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants