DIY coat hooks advice

Posted 3rd Dec
Year ago I installed some coat pegs however I've been unsuccessful and looking for advice on making it robust.

What I have done was screwed few pegs onto a stip of wood then screwed the wood strip into the wall purely plasterboard. I did use wall plugs however this morning as more and more coats/jackets are being hung the whole thing came down!

Due to the dropping of the strip this cause the whole where the plugs were expand.

What advice would you recommend?

Tia
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Locate the studs and screw it into them.
8 Comments
Use no nailes and a couple of screws to fix to wall. Polymer mastic is best.
You could also get a pack of these to try screwfix.com/p/g…2gk will hold better than a raw plug.
Locate the studs and screw it into them.
some of these screwfix.com/p/g…7gk or as suggested locate studs and screw into those (that's if studs are where you need them to be).

I've got a hooks on a plinth like yours and over the years its always worked loose, tried no nails, various plasterboard fixings and lastly used gripits that ive linked above. been like that a couple of years now with about 8kg on it at times.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 3rd Dec
Get some decent wall plugs - I take it the wall is concete?

I did the same and my coat rack is rock solid, holding a heavy motorcycle jacket plus lots of others.

Something like these: screwfix.com/p/f…30p
Another vote for the GripIt fittings linked to earlier.

I have a big, heavy coat rack (8 hooks fitted to a hardwood board) fixed to a wall with 2 GripIt fittings. The rack's been up for about 18 months, is usually full and still feels rock solid.

The only downside is the holes you have to drill for them are pretty big, probably too big to easily fill if you ever decide to take the hooks down.
Bigfootpete03/12/2019 12:54

Get some decent wall plugs - I take it the wall is concete? I did the same …Get some decent wall plugs - I take it the wall is concete? I did the same and my coat rack is rock solid, holding a heavy motorcycle jacket plus lots of others.Something like these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-duopower-wall-plugs-6-x-30mm-100-pack/1030p

Hi - not concrete no.
On the other side of the wall is another closet however i dont think they share the same plasterboard wall.
Locate the stud and screw into there. Or plasterboard fixings with some no nails applied to the back of the wall hooks should do the trick.

I like this video better
Edited by: "kash2013" 3rd Dec
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions