Found 6th Jun
Hi any experts there,

We are hoping to prepare our very neglected garden so that our kids can play in them (the living room is getting smaller each day to kick ball in) and the local park is a fair bit of walk. However, having asked for a few quotes, we haven't got a budget for what's being quoted

1. Ask
  2. Garden
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Garden
14 Comments

A big question. It'll be a bit easier to answer if you give a few details. How big is the garden? What's there now - are there plants of any sort, paving, patio? Is there any grass now?

Original Poster

pcs7038

A big question. It'll be a bit easier to answer if you give a few … A big question. It'll be a bit easier to answer if you give a few details. How big is the garden? What's there now - are there plants of any sort, paving, patio? Is there any grass now?

​Thanks.
about half is being used by our neighbours to grow their vegetables and also to drop their unsightly stuffs so broken pots, etc. the other half is like a bush.
it measures 22X26 foot. There isn't paving or concrete but no grass that I can see. don't know how to post photos

Clear all the plants (veg and bush) to ground level, remove and bin any rubbish then hire a rotavator for a day and turn the area over a few times. Then stamp flat and scatter lawn seed. Keep watering until grass is established.

Best time to scatter the lawn seed will be early autumn (September time) so you have some time to get the area prepped.

Edited by: "Van1973" 6th Jun

Good advice from Van1973

After you've used the rotavator, weeds will appear within a week or so. Pull them up, chop them off with a hoe, or anything else to get rid of them. If you can rake rather than stamp down, it'll might be easier and the grass should get established more quickly.

If you have store convenient to you, Wilko is your best bet for most garden supplies. Most things are cheaper than B&Q and the quality is pretty good.

Original Poster

Thanks a lot everyone, very much appreciated. I'd have a look at wilko nearby.

What's the deal with your neighbours growing veg and leaving broken pots around in your garden? Could there be an issue if your kids cause damage to their plants, by retrieving a football or similar?

Original Poster

They started using it as a vegetable patch after noticing our neglect I think and perhaps because of the tree that blocks their light. However, they've said once we're ready to start work they'd be happy to take away their stuffs. I didn't realise how much stuffs they had in there. They've fenced their own garden nicely so hopefully football wouldn't get in there that often.

Sounds like your neighbours are good gardeners, maybe they will be happy to help or give advice. Good luck in your new venture. I love gardening, it is so satisfying. I hope you enjoy your own private outside space.

Van1973

Clear all the plants (veg and bush) to ground level, remove and bin any … Clear all the plants (veg and bush) to ground level, remove and bin any rubbish then hire a rotavator for a day and turn the area over a few times. Then stamp flat and scatter lawn seed. Keep watering until grass is established.Best time to scatter the lawn seed will be early autumn (September time) so you have some time to get the area prepped.

Depending on the size of the area it might be worth just getting some cheap turf.
There was a fair number of deals floating around for £1/m2 turf not long ago.

If you could post a photo that would help a lot.
What direction does it face?

If you haven't got the time/motivation to look after a garden then adding a lawn may not be the best answer. Lawns are actually a lot of work!

joedastudd

Depending on the size of the area it might be worth just getting some … Depending on the size of the area it might be worth just getting some cheap turf.There was a fair number of deals floating around for £1/m2 turf not long ago.

These are usually the equivalent of short-dated fruit and veg in the supermarket. It might be ok. Or it might not.
And you have to be ready to use it straight away.

If you do go for turf, don't skimp on the preparation of the ground below. Make sure it's level (not sloping), flats (no bumps or lumps), there's no big stones or other debris. If you don't, it'll be like recarpeting your living room without clearing everything off the floor first.

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell

Sounds like your neighbours are good gardeners, maybe they will be happy … Sounds like your neighbours are good gardeners, maybe they will be happy to help or give advice. Good luck in your new venture. I love gardening, it is so satisfying. I hope you enjoy your own private outside space.

They actually are amazing Gardeners and I ​actually spent a few days feeling guilty that I'm going to ask them to take away their stuffs.

Keep in mind that the veges grown by your neighbours and other stuff they dumped there are their property. Best to explain to them and request they move these off your property. Whatever the legal situation, it's best to avoid bad relations with neighbours.

Original Poster

dannz

Keep in mind that the veges grown by your neighbours and other stuff they … Keep in mind that the veges grown by your neighbours and other stuff they dumped there are their property. Best to explain to them and request they move these off your property. Whatever the legal situation, it's best to avoid bad relations with neighbours.

​Thanks. Once I sort out a start date, I'd tell them so they have plenty of notice to take away their things. I intend to keep good relations with them however I don't think we'd be able to cut the trees on their behalf. One is an apple tree which I intend to keep but we're hoping to trim it so that as much light can get to their garden as possible.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition57598
    2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions