DIY ideas to insulate a hot tub pump

Posted 18th Nov 2018
Got a lazyspa hot tub but instructions say pump should not be left outside if the temperature drops below 4 degrees. However I love having the hot tub out when it’s cold and snowy as that’s when it’s the most fun to use. Plus where I am it can be very unpredictable temperature wise so it might be 6-10 degrees all week then I go away for work for 4 days and the temperature plummets...

So I was thinking of trying to build a little wooden hut/housing/box with a lid and lots of boiler lagging or something similar around the pump. Has anyone done this before or something like this? Could it make the pump overheat if it isn’t that cold? Any ideas or examples? I haven’t found anything on the internet yet...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
deleted1471098
Reason no one has done it is because below that temp there is a risk of the water freezing and the pump has to work too hard to warm up the water, probably beyond its limits. Lazyspa are cheap for a reason, suggest you bite the bullet and buy a full sized proper hot tub.

Additionally the unit may need to breathe so encasing it in a box may make it overheat and worse case catch fire. Best case it’ll lower the life of the unit using outside if the operating conditions.

Even if you build a unit to house the pump if the pipes freeze it’ll damage the unit and the freezing will damage the tub too.

The only alternative would be to put the whole thing in a shed of some sort, heat it and insulate it.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 19th Nov 2018
can't you just move the pump inside when it is cold ? (there is no plug etc ???)

- presumably it will have to be emptied prior to freezing anyway ? - thus logically the pump gets taken inside prior to that time ? or no ? (confused).

maybe burn the instructions?; that will keep it a little warm...
deleted1080215
Ban_Anas19/11/2018 05:42

can't you just move the pump inside when it is cold ? (there is no plug …can't you just move the pump inside when it is cold ? (there is no plug etc ???)- presumably it will have to be emptied prior to freezing anyway ? - thus logically the pump gets taken inside prior to that time ? or no ? (confused).maybe burn the instructions?; that will keep it a little warm...

Have you ever seen a lay z spa? The pump supplies both water and air so cannot really be removed.
To answer OP, you are really best to dismantle for winter. They may be quite cheap, but they are adequate for occasional use where space is at a premium. To effectively warm the pump you would need to enclose the whole spa. To keep a space like that warm, 5°c or more, would be a logistical problem and very expensive.
Edited by: "deleted1080215" 19th Nov 2018
deleted1080215
One other tip. Before you dismantle give a massive dose (treble) of algaecide, run it for 10 minutes. Then drain and dry without rinsing before packing away. Then you won't open it to black mould when you use it next year.
I won't go in to too much detail as I have no idea what your pipework looks like. However what I will suggest is something called trace heating which you can control to a set temp. in essence you wrap wire around your pipe work and pump vein housing. will keep it warm for you pop some insulation over it you're good to go.
deleted108021519/11/2018 07:01

Have you ever seen a lay z spa? .

only on the internet - they sound horrendously badly designed ? - (if they came with a plug / removable pump - then you wouldn't have to dismantle them....)

instructions are basically saying "may-oct only" (...unless for demanding logistics and storage OR home modification...") - that's not a much of a "luxury" item moreso space taking headache ?
Have you tried it? I thought about this partly for noise reduction too.
I have run mine all year (incl throughout the winter) for 2 years. We did some things to make sure we didnt let anything freeze (and to keep electricity costs down).

1) We used the bublewrap/foil insulation between the outer skin and the inflatable inner, to give the sides some extra insulation.
2) We insulated underneath
3) We made a hard-foam top (using kingspan building insulation)

This meant we didnt lose much heat.

We then left the egg on. With the temp set for 37 degrees. You need to keep it on, otherwise if the water gets cold, you will have problems. The heater kicks in and out as required to maintain the temp. Our electric bills were c£30 per month (we used it most nights in the winter). Its vital you keep changing the filter, as if this blocks and the water flow drops, then a safety-cut off will stop the heater, then you are at risk of freezing.

We used it more in the winter than the summer.

Our heater element has now broken. So am deciding what to replace it with. Possibly another Layzspa Vegas.
Sorry to re open an old thread but thought we could bounce some ideas of each other. Our first Paris lasted about 4 years (used year round and never taken down), for an inflatable hot tub that's pretty damn good. I built a summer house / gazebo? for it and it worked great except that the wife likes it more open.
Your idea of a box around the pump could work as long as the air holes are kept clear as the thermostat will kick in if the water temp gets too hot (the whole idea of leaving it on all the time) but! be careful of the insulation you use as you don't want to be sucking fibreglass into the pump.
Audi_Steve29/03/2020 14:44

Sorry to re open an old thread but thought we could bounce some ideas of …Sorry to re open an old thread but thought we could bounce some ideas of each other. Our first Paris lasted about 4 years (used year round and never taken down), for an inflatable hot tub that's pretty damn good. I built a summer house / gazebo? for it and it worked great except that the wife likes it more open.Your idea of a box around the pump could work as long as the air holes are kept clear as the thermostat will kick in if the water temp gets too hot (the whole idea of leaving it on all the time) but! be careful of the insulation you use as you don't want to be sucking fibreglass into the pump.

Actually they now sell a wifi enable and frost-insulated pump that you can use all year round. So I'm tempted to use the other pump until it breaks and then upgrade to that one... Or sell the other pump (as it's brand new) and buy the wifi/frost one
That sounds like a plan, I wonder how the insulated it as if you take one apart there's not much room for insulation. I know there is a frost gaurd but that's just to keep it ticking over at a low setting, the WiFi has really got me interested though. I'm also considering the way a traditional hot tub is built and as the lay z spa pump/heater is separate to the spa then perhaps a housing with expanding foam could be used around the liner.
I can hear all the people in the background saying "just buy a real hot tub" but it wouldn't cost that much and the DIY satisfaction would be well worth it.
Audi_Steve30/03/2020 16:45

That sounds like a plan, I wonder how the insulated it as if you take one …That sounds like a plan, I wonder how the insulated it as if you take one apart there's not much room for insulation. I know there is a frost gaurd but that's just to keep it ticking over at a low setting, the WiFi has really got me interested though. I'm also considering the way a traditional hot tub is built and as the lay z spa pump/heater is separate to the spa then perhaps a housing with expanding foam could be used around the liner. I can hear all the people in the background saying "just buy a real hot tub" but it wouldn't cost that much and the DIY satisfaction would be well worth it.

yeah one of my big issues was that I work away 3-4 days a week and in the winter I didn't have a way of restarting it once the pump switches off after 72 hours so the whole thing would freeze. The wifi controller enables you to do that...
Kingb429/09/2019 10:37

I have run mine all year (incl throughout the winter) for 2 years. We did …I have run mine all year (incl throughout the winter) for 2 years. We did some things to make sure we didnt let anything freeze (and to keep electricity costs down). 1) We used the bublewrap/foil insulation between the outer skin and the inflatable inner, to give the sides some extra insulation.2) We insulated underneath3) We made a hard-foam top (using kingspan building insulation)This meant we didnt lose much heat.We then left the egg on. With the temp set for 37 degrees. You need to keep it on, otherwise if the water gets cold, you will have problems. The heater kicks in and out as required to maintain the temp. Our electric bills were c£30 per month (we used it most nights in the winter). Its vital you keep changing the filter, as if this blocks and the water flow drops, then a safety-cut off will stop the heater, then you are at risk of freezing.We used it more in the winter than the summer.Our heater element has now broken. So am deciding what to replace it with. Possibly another Layzspa Vegas.

That electric bill is amazing Kingb4! Very interested in recreating that sort of efficiency. Could I clarify:

- The hard foam top - do you put this under or over the existing pool cover (i.e. touching the water and same size as inner wall or same size as external diameter and sat on the lid?

- Your insulation under the pool - same size Kingspan insulation?

And you didn't use the timer at all? Just left unit on permanently set to 37?

This sounds like a great setup I would like to re-create.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
John
I just got a Lay-z-spa Paris. The pump is 67db, and it’s on composite decking which amplified it. The whole thing is so loud I can’t leave it on. So disappointed. 67db is definitely at the top end of what is normal but we don’t have much distance to the neighbours. Sadly I think it will have to go
glennonjd03/04/2020 10:52

That electric bill is amazing Kingb4! Very interested in recreating that …That electric bill is amazing Kingb4! Very interested in recreating that sort of efficiency. Could I clarify:- The hard foam top - do you put this under or over the existing pool cover (i.e. touching the water and same size as inner wall or same size as external diameter and sat on the lid?- Your insulation under the pool - same size Kingspan insulation?And you didn't use the timer at all? Just left unit on permanently set to 37?This sounds like a great setup I would like to re-create.Any advice appreciated.CheersJohn

i know this is an old post but im new to the hot tub world and im intrested in finding ways of costing costs on running one as ours seems to be draining electric alot..did you ever build your set up ?
glennonjd03/04/2020 10:52

That electric bill is amazing Kingb4! Very interested in recreating that …That electric bill is amazing Kingb4! Very interested in recreating that sort of efficiency. Could I clarify:- The hard foam top - do you put this under or over the existing pool cover (i.e. touching the water and same size as inner wall or same size as external diameter and sat on the lid?- Your insulation under the pool - same size Kingspan insulation?And you didn't use the timer at all? Just left unit on permanently set to 37?This sounds like a great setup I would like to re-create.Any advice appreciated.CheersJohn

Sorry - just seen this......The way we have it set-up:

- The hard foam top - Not touching the water......I use the inflatable circle touching the water (taken out of the leatherette cover) and then the kingspan (same size as the outside diameter) sat on the outer wall. Then the leatherette cover over the whole lot......

- Your insulation under the pool - same size Kingspan insulation? No, we have used several layers of foil-backed underlay (designed for under laminate/engineered oak floor)

- We have had to renew the outer wall insulation (the foil-backed bubblewrap), as a lot of it had lost its insulating foil - this insulation isnt visible as its hidden between the inflatable wall and the leatherette outer)

And you didn't use the timer at all? Just left unit on permanently set to 37? - correct
Hi King

Could you be kind and take some pictures of what you have done?
And put them here in the thread?

I am going to buy a lay-z spa Maldives HydroJet Pro and will build a box around it with insulation.
I was considering building a cabinet to sound-proof the pump, essentially line the inside with acoustic underlay. Would it work, I'm not a sound engineer!
Yes it would, but ensure you create ventilation, just place that in an agreeable direction. I have done this in the past and it makes a big difference. As mentioned in other posts it does depend on the surface your pump resides but adding shock proofing like rubber or foam to minimise vibrations can go a long way. Encasing wise, why not knock up a rough prototype out of cardboard with thick polystyrene to see if it makes any difference before proceeding. I used compisite decking and Kingspan, turned it into a surface to put drinks on. Cut down the low frequency hum by at least 50% for me, so was worth the effort. Good luck!
41201433-RWYZw.jpgThis is what we have done with our Miami thermawrap sides and also in lid above inflatable ring, and it sits on artificial grass that sits on sheet Eva foam.
Makes alot of difference maintaining temperature and when heating it, I know it doesn't look pretty.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions