DIY NAS ideas?

Posted 18th Oct
Firstly thanks ontheqt for posting a possible DIY NAS setup on the following link.

hotukdeals.com/com…187

However given the mothrboard for example doesn't seem to be sold in many places, I wondered if anyone here could give a better and more widely available NAS DIY setup.

I'm also not convinced by unraid and think freenas looks better even if it requires more storage.

freenas.org/
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Or just buy a nas.

It’s probably just cheaper to buy a legal streaming service sub than go to all that effort of buying kit and the running costs (electric etc).
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 18th Oct
I've used freenas in the past, but really can't see past Synology. Got an official Synology 4 bay NAS and also their OS running on an HP N40L Microserver too (Xpenology).
supermann18/10/2019 20:02

Comment deleted

Xpenology is free. It's all built on open-source technology, gets a bit grey though as it's Synology OS that ties it all together. Xpenology is just a modified version to run on various different hardware.
BeerDrinker18/10/2019 20:06

Xpenology is free. It's all built on open-source technology, gets a bit …Xpenology is free. It's all built on open-source technology, gets a bit grey though as it's Synology OS that ties it all together. Xpenology is just a modified version to run on various different hardware.

Aye sorry, I missed that bit and deleted the comment when I realised my mistake.
I am sure this post is in hieroglyphs
I just use my pc via network share
Do you want a NAS or a server?
A NAS is just a network attached storage device, might have a few features but at the core it's all about storage.
If you want a server then the specs vary massively depending on the requirements.
Still running my n40l using openmediavault as out of what I tried openmediavault was the best imo. Technodadlife on YouTube has some easy to follow guides.
chris_clark20/10/2019 16:33

Still running my n40l using openmediavault as out of what I tried …Still running my n40l using openmediavault as out of what I tried openmediavault was the best imo. Technodadlife on YouTube has some easy to follow guides.

Shame microservers are so damn expensive these days. Gone are the days of the rebates.
supermann20/10/2019 16:36

Shame microservers are so damn expensive these days. Gone are the days of …Shame microservers are so damn expensive these days. Gone are the days of the rebates.

Yea where great when there was cashback wasn't fond of the models that came after wasn't a nice space above the main drive storage to add other drives which is why I never upgraded as I needed space for 5 3.5 drives and a os drive.
chris_clark20/10/2019 16:51

Yea where great when there was cashback wasn't fond of the models that …Yea where great when there was cashback wasn't fond of the models that came after wasn't a nice space above the main drive storage to add other drives which is why I never upgraded as I needed space for 5 3.5 drives and a os drive.

Aye, therefore the Fractal Case plus a decent Mini-ITX board is the answer now, although requires a bit of knowledge about how to build computers.
supermann20/10/2019 17:02

Aye, therefore the Fractal Case plus a decent Mini-ITX board is the answer …Aye, therefore the Fractal Case plus a decent Mini-ITX board is the answer now, although requires a bit of knowledge about how to build computers.

Building come easy to me but I work in ict. How would you deal with the fact that board mentioned in your link only has 4 sata ports and the case only holds 6 drives which for me if I did it would be a board upgrade at most couldn't add more drives.

If you wanted n40ls can be picked up cheap from eBay or FB market places friend had one he got as a spare so never used think he just sold it recently. Mine still does everything I need haven't come across any road blocks with it all that bothers me with it is age.
chris_clark20/10/2019 17:10

Building come easy to me but I work in ict. How would you deal with the …Building come easy to me but I work in ict. How would you deal with the fact that board mentioned in your link only has 4 sata ports and the case only holds 6 drives which for me if I did it would be a board upgrade at most couldn't add more drives. If you wanted n40ls can be picked up cheap from eBay or FB market places friend had one he got as a spare so never used think he just sold it recently. Mine still does everything I need haven't come across any road blocks with it all that bothers me with it is age.

Yeah, it didn't look very good hence the post here. Thanks for the tips regards microservers, I guess I'm just a bit too wary about buying second hand.
supermann20/10/2019 17:17

Yeah, it didn't look very good hence the post here. Thanks for the …Yeah, it didn't look very good hence the post here. Thanks for the tips regards microservers, I guess I'm just a bit too wary about buying second hand.

There are alternatives and one suggestion I got was to get some dell raid cards which can be flashed with a LSI engineer firmware which makes them a sas sata extension card. These can be picked up very cheap.

Join the open mediavault fourm there's a build section where you could ask for suggestions for what you want.

If you see a n40 cheap or even a newer one worth trying it omv can be installed on usb now with the flash drive plugin to offload the writes into ram I just stick with a ssd old habits. And I only need to be able to add more drives as I orginally got 3tb drives (cost a fortune in 2012) which are in a raid 5 I could put bigger into the raid but would loose the extra space on these disks untill all where replaced with the new bigger ones.
I've got a spare N36L microserver that hasn't even seen 10 hours use, I bet there's others like me who ended up with a few and some not used.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 20th Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants