DIY Passport photo question..........

Found 14th Aug 2017Edited by:"J4GG4"
How are you bargain hunters getting the perfect lighting and background for your DIY passport photos?.

I need to update 5 people and im struggling to get a good clear image. Probably spent £5 fuel driving around looking for a good background, then took over 100 pictures in 2 locations to find that the images aren't that great. Tried this on a bright day at about 2pm and it left shadows on the side of the faces.

Thinking to just pay £25 to get it all done at a booth but the problem is, you only get 3 tries with kids and my youngest struggles to pull a straight face without smiling, laughing, frowning or doing something other than posing naturally. Need around 40 to 50 attempts not 3 lol.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
I did mine up against a white wall in my dining room.
Just get it done at the post office. Why risk the time and effort if it fails.
Are you a member of Costco and is one near you ? They are pretty cheap . Cannot remember the exact price.
white wall, ours werent bright white more cream though, good picture not smiling, and dont wear a hat!! put them on to the site below and print off at home or anywhere that does photos. this has been on here a few times and its excellent justed it about 4 times myself and printed onto cheap photo paper at home and no issue, had friends use it as well.

idphoto4you.com/
Edited by: "eslick" 14th Aug 2017
awesome36 m ago

I did mine up against a white wall in my dining room.

Can't do it in my house, don't have a white/cream/grey wall.
Plus the gov site doesn't meantion white, only cream or light grey:
gov.uk/pho…nts

kester7636 m ago

Just get it done at the post office. Why risk the time and effort if it …Just get it done at the post office. Why risk the time and effort if it fails.

Like i say, kids wont pull a natural face. Virtually impossible and i will waste money for nothing.

sydney87127 m ago

Are you a member of Costco and is one near you ? They are pretty cheap . …Are you a member of Costco and is one near you ? They are pretty cheap . Cannot remember the exact price.

No im not and none near me.

eslick5 m ago

white wall, ours werent bright white more cream though, good picture not …white wall, ours werent bright white more cream though, good picture not smiling, and dont wear a hat!! put them on to the site below and print off at home or anywhere that does photos. this has been on here a few times and its excellent justed it about 4 times myself and printed onto cheap photo paper at home and no issue, had friends use it as well.http://www.idphoto4you.com/

Already used that site, but as i say, its come out a bit shadowy.
Buy a roll of cheap matt cream wallpaper and stand in front of that. You don't need to paste it to a wall just let it hang down.
J4GG456 m ago

Can't do it in my house, don't have a white/cream/grey wall. Plus the gov …Can't do it in my house, don't have a white/cream/grey wall. Plus the gov site doesn't meantion white, only cream or light grey:https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports/photo-requirementsLike i say, kids wont pull a natural face. Virtually impossible and i will waste money for nothing.No im not and none near me.Already used that site, but as i say, its come out a bit shadowy.

It's done in one of those electronic booths by the post office. It's digital so you only get charged for the finished picture and it's guaranteed to pass by them.
Can't tell the difference between white or cream on a passport photo. If no white walls what about white doors?
kester7652 m ago

It's done in one of those electronic booths by the post office. It's …It's done in one of those electronic booths by the post office. It's digital so you only get charged for the finished picture and it's guaranteed to pass by them.

You get 3 attempts in those booths, its simply no good for my youngest kids. I tried 40 times or so before to get a natural pose and its impossible.

Van197347 m ago

Can't tell the difference between white or cream on a passport photo. If …Can't tell the difference between white or cream on a passport photo. If no white walls what about white doors?

Only white wood grain doors here, so its not a smooth colour.

Plus my house is a no go, its like a dungeon, very dark and/or shadowy.
i find most white walls come out grey when the photos go through the photo app but if the passport can load direct from your camera then a white wall with fluorescent lighting will help.
Hang a bed sheet over a door.
if you REALLY want to be cheeky/save money - find a public photo booth and use your trusty digital camera or phone to just take the photo.

White background, good illumination, as many attempts as you like free of charge. Sorted.
118luke14 m ago

if you REALLY want to be cheeky/save money - find a public photo booth and …if you REALLY want to be cheeky/save money - find a public photo booth and use your trusty digital camera or phone to just take the photo.White background, good illumination, as many attempts as you like free of charge. Sorted.

HaHa. Problem is i read you need to stand ideally 6ft away. In a booth it'll be like a selfie which isn't allowed.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 15th Aug 2017
Use a flash or a reflector to get rid of the shadow.

Why are they not facing the light source?
Max Spielmann do passport photos. Not sure of the price but it's done with a DSLR, not a booth.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants