Expired

DIY question - Paint and Blu Tack

Found 27th Aug 2013
Hi all, hopefully someone can help me as I have rubbish DIY skills.

I have 2 problems I need to attend to but not sure how and I live in rented accommodation so I want to keep the place in good order and fix what I can.

1: We have painted walls and my wife put a calendar up using white tack/blu tack at one point and since taking it down it has left greasy looking marks and tack remains on the walll (which I can't get rid of). How can I shift these or will it need painting over?

2: We have several marks on the wall made by us (things falling down along the wall, suitcases, tv's being moved etc) and when I tried to clean these off with a damp rag I have taken the paint off in places to the plaster. Is it ok to just paint back over these and make the walls look a bit better?

Thanks.
Community Updates
AskPaint
12 Comments
I'd be interested to see what others have to say about this.

If you have the color matched paint, it can't be a bad thing to do. I had a similar problem when moving into a new place. The previous people had stuck a suction cup of sorts on the wall in the bathroom, and it left a huge round oily mark. I originally painted the bathroom twice, but you could still see it (I'm extremely pedantic, so it was noticable). I eventually repainted using an egg-shell paint (more expensive, but for bathrooms), and this fixed the issue. I hear what you're saying about blu tack -- it's terrible stuff. I definitely think a couple of coats of paint will make a difference. I'm not sure there's any clever way to remove the oily marks it leaves though. I'd be interested though. Sorry I can't be much more help.
Edited by: "bandwidthbob" 27th Aug 2013
bandwidthbob

I'd be interested to see what others have to say about this.If you have … I'd be interested to see what others have to say about this.If you have the color matched paint, it can't be a bad thing to do. I had a similar problem when moving into a new place. The previous people had stuck a suction cup of sorts on the wall in the bathroom, and it left a huge round oily mark. I originally painted the bathroom twice, but you could still see it (I'm extremely pedantic, so it was noticable). I eventually repainted using an egg-shell paint (more expensive, but for bathrooms), and this fixed the issue. I hear what you're saying about blu tack -- it's terrible stuff. I definitely think a couple of coats of paint will make a difference. I'm not sure there's any clever way to remove the oily marks it leaves though. I'd be interested though. Sorry I can't be much more help.

No worries, it's just a pain as I want to get rid of the marks and renew the walls so to speak and I'm awful with DIY. I may just do a paint over on the patches where I have taken the paint off but the blu-tak looks like trouble. Luckily those 2 issues are on the same wall.
Put up a new calendar ...
Talis

Put up a new calendar ...

I have heard that lighter fluid removes the oily residue from blu tak, but haven't tried it myself!
Just read a pile of interesting ideas -- from white bread, to citrus based cleaners, brown paper and an iron, even WD40. Overall, it looks like most people lean towards lightly sanding the affected areas, then repainting.
I had this problem and the normal way to get rid of residue is to use another piece of Blu Tack and roll it across the little bits left behind where it will pick them up. However, the residue I was trying to get rid of was so old it was dry and crumbly and stuck fast to the flat surface. The 'recommended' method just didn't work, neither did careful scraping. However, I managed to get rid of it by using scotch tape... I used little strips and rubbed them over the bits and pulled them off quickly (like a sticking plaster). That worked for me.
Edited by: "squirrel63" 27th Aug 2013
I've not read this anywhere, but, a method I used to use for removing vinyl from vehicles is to use a hair dryer -- this melts the glue, and it peels off really easily. Perhaps the same method might work for the blu-tac by softening it up, and then use more blu-tac *shudder* to remove it. Worth a go.
I managed to get most of the blu tak off using more blu tak but there is a very fine layer that won't shift now. The main annoyance is the oily look I just want to get rid off.
Sand it down and then paint over it.
Just an update, I got some tester pots from Homebase and wen over the area with them. The paint is fractionally lighter (if you know where to look) but it has covered it up a treat. I just need to match the one in the living room now, which is a right pain~!
Thanks all for the answers by the way.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions