DIYer, need your help

Found 2nd Dec 2017
This morning i managed to run (with some help) an Ethernet cable from downstairs (modem) to the first floor to my computer. It is the kind that is really flat. To tidy it up now, i need to run it along the corner so it looks really tidy. I don't want to use those pin that you nail to keep the cable down. Has anyone used a different way to fix it against the wall, that looks really tidy, TIA
J

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
17 Comments

I would definitely use the plugs like 1st comment mentions. I have a good set which don't drop any speed for my Xbox upstairs. Wires are the devil!

Original Poster

I already had them, and could not achieve anything over 35mbps, wired with the Ethernet cable, I am hitting over the 160mbps, which is why i wanted the wired connection over the Wifi connection. Anyway, holes have been drilled and cable is running (hanging from the ceiling right now), hence my above question. The clips you mention are still quite visible, i would like something that is going look discreet. Thanks anyway
Edited by: "jeannot18" 2nd Dec 2017

jeannot183 m ago

I already had them, and could not achieve anything over 35mbps, wired with …I already had them, and could not achieve anything over 35mbps, wired with the Ethernet cable, I am hitting over the 160mbps, which is why i wanted the wired connection over the Wifi connection. Anyway, holes have been drilled and cable is running (hanging from the ceiling right now), hence my above question. The clips you mention are still quite visible, i would like something that is going look discreet. Thanks anyway

Could be the plugs you tried or could be your houses wiring. Can't really help you to hide the cables, other than under carpet at skirting board maybe. I get 75mbps at my hub and 75mbps through the plugs. What is it for? What do you need more than 35mbps at the other end? Sounds like a whole lot of hassle to me.

Rusty8231 m ago

I would definitely use the plugs like 1st comment mentions. I have a good …I would definitely use the plugs like 1st comment mentions. I have a good set which don't drop any speed for my Xbox upstairs. Wires are the devil!

Noooooo. Nothing’s more stable than a cable.

Original Poster

Actually thanks Summoner for the link, i went for something like this (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131588810534). Cable is going from the modem, up the wall, then along the cornice, and through the ceiling (as mentioned, this has already been done). Hopefully those little double-taped sticky tape should be able to keep the cable in place. Thanks

I've used No More Nails (or similar adhesive)
Don't go all along just put dabs every so often to tack it into place - the only problem is holding it in place until it bonds.

philphil614 h, 19 m ago

I've used No More Nails (or similar adhesive) Don't go all along just put …I've used No More Nails (or similar adhesive) Don't go all along just put dabs every so often to tack it into place - the only problem is holding it in place until it bonds.

Try mitre fast next time or just get some anyway. Brilliant stuff which bonds in a few seconds. I use it for lots of things

screwfix.com/p/m…848
Edited by: "chocci" 3rd Dec 2017

chocci42 m ago

Try mitre fast next time or just get some anyway. Brilliant stuff which …Try mitre fast next time or just get some anyway. Brilliant stuff which bonds in a few seconds. I use it for lots of thingshttps://www.screwfix.com/p/mitrebond-aerosol-kit-2-pcs/28848

I'll remember that for future reference

But I didn't want to spend anymore money - the No More Nails was a left over from my DIY ceiling lights fitting

ipswich789 h, 3 m ago

Noooooo. Nothing’s more stable than a cable.

Yeeeeeeeeees, well, obviously. But for connecting to a computer the plugs would be far better than running a cable all over your house. Unless routed internally. I've ran them on my xbox for years and never once had a drop. Cable is not necessary in this situation.

Rusty8240 m ago

Yeeeeeeeeees, well, obviously. But for connecting to a computer the plugs …Yeeeeeeeeees, well, obviously. But for connecting to a computer the plugs would be far better than running a cable all over your house. Unless routed internally. I've ran them on my xbox for years and never once had a drop. Cable is not necessary in this situation.

How do you know its not necessary? Op may have 200mbps Internet so wants 200mbps, not crap powerplug speeds which invariably have lower speeds and take up a socket.

Original Poster

chocci3 h, 28 m ago

How do you know its not necessary? Op may have 200mbps Internet so wants …How do you know its not necessary? Op may have 200mbps Internet so wants 200mbps, not crap powerplug speeds which invariably have lower speeds and take up a socket.

That is the case. Yesterday i tested my broadband and it reached 167mbps, i downloaded a YouTube video 110MB in less than 2 seconds. I watch and download a lot of guitar tutorial video and I just wanted the speed which I am paying for and I was not getting. As for the cable, once it is tucked away and stucked in the corner, it will be the only part visible, the rest is running through the attic

chocci6 h, 42 m ago

How do you know its not necessary? Op may have 200mbps Internet so wants …How do you know its not necessary? Op may have 200mbps Internet so wants 200mbps, not crap powerplug speeds which invariably have lower speeds and take up a socket.

I did ask what it was for at the other end. General computer usage(browsing the Web, streaming etc) does not require huge speeds. My reason being that in my opinion having 30 40 50+ mbps at a PC could well be plenty and would be better than routing a huge cable. If downloading huge files regularly then that is the only time it would be of consequence.

jeannot183 h, 16 m ago

That is the case. Yesterday i tested my broadband and it reached 167mbps, …That is the case. Yesterday i tested my broadband and it reached 167mbps, i downloaded a YouTube video 110MB in less than 2 seconds. I watch and download a lot of guitar tutorial video and I just wanted the speed which I am paying for and I was not getting. As for the cable, once it is tucked away and stucked in the corner, it will be the only part visible, the rest is running through the attic

It should have been less that 2 seconds at that speed the my 75mbps would take less than 2....

I was only giving an alternative to routing the cable as it can be a pain sometimes. You can also get better plugs which will carry your speeds.

Original Poster

Rusty821 h, 49 m ago

It should have been less that 2 seconds at that speed the my 75mbps …It should have been less that 2 seconds at that speed the my 75mbps would take less than 2....I was only giving an alternative to routing the cable as it can be a pain sometimes. You can also get better plugs which will carry your speeds.

Obviously your wifi speed is much better than mine. With mine it would have been maybe 30 seconds to 45 seconds to download that video, ok it's not the end of the world, but I am paying for a 200mbs connection and I was not getting it.

jeannot1833 m ago

Obviously your wifi speed is much better than mine. With mine it would …Obviously your wifi speed is much better than mine. With mine it would have been maybe 30 seconds to 45 seconds to download that video, ok it's not the end of the world, but I am paying for a 200mbs connection and I was not getting it.

My speed is less than half that of yours. If I was starting my house from scratch then every room would have a wired connection but for general use wireless/WiFi solutions are perfectly sufficient, generally. Don't you have WiFi on your PC I take it? Or do you not have a good WiFi signal in your house?

Anyway, glad you managed to get a solution sorted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions