DNA ancestry kits

Posted 20th Nov
Hi I'm looking to purchase a kit for my dad for Christmas. The ones I have looked at so far are My Heritage, 23 and me and Ancestry DNA.
Does anyone have any experience with any of the above kits, I would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations.
Are there any better ones around the same price range £50-£80. I'm not wanting the health check type just the ancestry ones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I seem to recall that there was a Watchdog report on these a couple of week back. I don't think the results were positive and the results from multiple tests showed that none agreed (so most if not all were in effect wrong). As such, it seems like a waste of money over the novelty factor, a bit like buying a star or a lordship in Scotland
Edited by: "frakison" 20th Nov
15 Comments
I too was looking at this so hopefully some users give feedback. However, my partner, she was looking around and there’s quite a few negative bits and bobs about them. More or less stating in early stages you’ll only get so many hits back with DNA because not everyone is going to be signed up. On the other hand people praised it and said it was interesting and insightful etc

I have found a lot of information just using (Ancestry) the free bank holidays to fill out the information which provides pictures and records.

We found a relative buried where we are that we didn’t realise was buried here (distant so not like they were just chucked in a skip)
Of them all Ancestry seems more established to me so might get better hits from it.
I seem to recall that there was a Watchdog report on these a couple of week back. I don't think the results were positive and the results from multiple tests showed that none agreed (so most if not all were in effect wrong). As such, it seems like a waste of money over the novelty factor, a bit like buying a star or a lordship in Scotland
Edited by: "frakison" 20th Nov
Given the bad press in recent times about the false/misleading results I would be very jubious about them.
st8mike20/11/2019 13:54

Given the bad press in recent times about the false/misleading results I …Given the bad press in recent times about the false/misleading results I would be very jubious about them.

Or even dubious
DanSpaghetti20/11/2019 13:37

I too was looking at this so hopefully some users give feedback. However, …I too was looking at this so hopefully some users give feedback. However, my partner, she was looking around and there’s quite a few negative bits and bobs about them. More or less stating in early stages you’ll only get so many hits back with DNA because not everyone is going to be signed up. On the other hand people praised it and said it was interesting and insightful etc I have found a lot of information just using (Ancestry) the free bank holidays to fill out the information which provides pictures and records. We found a relative buried where we are that we didn’t realise was buried here (distant so not like they were just chucked in a skip) Of them all Ancestry seems more established to me so might get better hits from it.

Looking at reviews for the 3 the 123 and me seems to be the most comprehensive results wise. The other 2 seem to be more family tree based which I don't think my dad will be bothered about. He's not wanting to get in touch with long lost relatives as such he's just interested to find out where his ancestors were from.
Although the 2 comments about the authenticity of the results have now made me a bit jubious and dubious
jonauk20/11/2019 14:12

Looking at reviews for the 3 the 123 and me seems to be the most …Looking at reviews for the 3 the 123 and me seems to be the most comprehensive results wise. The other 2 seem to be more family tree based which I don't think my dad will be bothered about. He's not wanting to get in touch with long lost relatives as such he's just interested to find out where his ancestors were from.Although the 2 comments about the authenticity of the results have now made me a bit jubious and dubious

Yeah, seems logical if he’s not into that. I guess it comes down to expectations really. If he doesn’t have high hopes when going to do it, it’ll be a-bit of fun and a good punt if it comes back all good.
You waste your money.
Definitely not worth it get something else
Those that have done it have said its a loads of rubbish.
I am a bit sceptical about it all to be honest
I have done it and found it interesting, and it does work if you are looking for relatives, my partner found a confirmed living relative in Canada that we didn't know about, and for me it linked me to a 2nd cousin I did know about, just didn't know they'd also done the test.

as for knowing where you come from, I am sceptical about it, I did it around 3 years ago and my heritage has changed massively in that time, but they do say it will as they learn more.

I bought the ancestry dna kit for us.
just to add to my comment, I found the membership more interesting than the dna, again this was the ancestry one, the way it links you to distant relatives is amazing and easy, just take your time to confirm the match is correct, if you make a mistake it could mess the whole tree up.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions