DNA (ancestry) testing kit experiences

Posted 3rd May
Has anybody used any of these and believe them to be accurate? Also any recommendations as to which 1 to go for.
Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Hi Dad.
21 Comments
I don’t think they are very accurate.
Hi Dad.
The 23 and me one is pretty good, got it my brother and it notified him that my grandparents and uncle had already completed one a few years ago with a few known relatives also coming up
BettySwollocks09803/05/2020 19:03

The 23 and me one is pretty good, got it my brother and it notified him …The 23 and me one is pretty good, got it my brother and it notified him that my grandparents and uncle had already completed one a few years ago with a few known relatives also coming up

Cheers sweaty will bear it in mind.
Complete waste of money and more important you have no clue what they do with your data.
Under no circumstances would I ever pay someone to have/process my DNA.
There was a documentary on these dna testing kits on bbc1 and gadget show. Basically useless. They all give you different or very different results. Not accurate all
Buckyball03/05/2020 19:18

Complete waste of money and more important you have no clue what they do …Complete waste of money and more important you have no clue what they do with your data.

Thanks.
ndyanem03/05/2020 19:28

There was a documentary on these dna testing kits on bbc1 and gadget show. …There was a documentary on these dna testing kits on bbc1 and gadget show. Basically useless. They all give you different or very different results. Not accurate all

Ah no problem, cheers.
I did one once said I was quarter Nigerian???? Couldn't understand why?
My partner found a confirmed relative living in Canada, and mine linked me to a 2nd cousin here so they are accurate as in linking you to people BUT as for where you come from, I'm not so sure, mine has changed loads since I did it years ago, they do say that can happen though the more they learn.

I used the ancestry one.
Edited by: "bluetba" 3rd May
The thing with DNA kits are mass collection and analysis of DNA. The more people take part the more accurate they become. You can opt out of any DNA sharing and export the data and use any other system. 23 and me on the other hand would stay well clear off unless you want to hand over google and all insurance companies your data (even when they say they anonymised it somehow).
Imagine if if turned out you were yet another offspring of the PM !!
If you want to find out your family tree, you'd be better off hiring someone who can trace people through other data.
I did the Ancestry one a couple of years ago. It confirmed records that I already had about locations our family had lived going back to about 1700. It also located a couple of very distant relatives who had also taken the test and put their results into the public domain. There was a nationality question mark over a close relative directly related to me, who definitely was not from the areas shown in the result , which left us feeling that it might be inaccurate.
Myself + my dad and 2 sisters did the 23 and me test a couple of years ago. We wanted the health part as well as the dna because my Dad was adopted & also for a potential hereditary disease. Its been very interesting and we have found 2 close relatives to my Dad, him contacting them is the next big step.
Ah thanks all for the replies. Very interesting but a very mixed bag.
DNA doesn't lie. People do.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions