Do Amazon call to remind you to cancel Prime?

Posted 13th Jan
As per the title, I took out Prime membership for a month (Amazon extended it to another month, thanks!) but cancelled it last week via the website.

Since then we've received about half a dozen automated calls from "Amazon" warning our Prime membership will be renewed unless we do something about it (press 1 to continue).
So in short is this a common practice by Amazon or completely coincidental by potential scammer?
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
I've had several of these calls too, Prime's not due to be renewed until May, I just keep hanging up.
We've had those automated phone calls - they are a scam
Cheers all.
They email you to renew
Never ever give your phone number out you will regret
Actually had 2 calls about this today saying I'll be charged 39.99, a tier I'm not aware even exists. Also it's not due to run out for 6 weeks.

Unsolicited scam calls, ignore.
Scam, just block or put the phone down.
Scam, just block or put the phone down.
Got a call from “Microsoft” a couple days ago about my computer being compromised. They even had the the nerve to ring back asking why I’d hung up on them.
They send an email.. something times nothing at all.

Sounds like a scam.
redserpent13/01/2020 16:34

They send an email.. something times nothing at all.Sounds like a scam.

Yes, 99 times out of 100 I'd hang up but the coincidence of actually cancelling prime then getting these calls makes you think twice.
It'll be a scammer, my mate gets them all the time and messes with them... He got one the other day and they wanted access to this computer. He pretends he couldn't let them onto it via teamviewer and they gave him their password (wrong move for them) hes now changed all the passwords on their computers and router, also changed peoples person details they had saved he loves ruining their day, Karma
captainbeaky13/01/2020 16:24

Got a call from “Microsoft” a couple days ago about my computer being com …Got a call from “Microsoft” a couple days ago about my computer being compromised. They even had the the nerve to ring back asking why I’d hung up on them.

I had one from "Microsoft" as well, about 8 months ago. I kept pretending that the phone was in a different room to my PC so every time they asked me to do something I'd put the phone down for several minutes. When they ask what windows I had I told them that I had 10 downstairs but 16 windows upstairs. When they asked me to 'open windows' I asked how many as I didn't want my house to get too cold. They got a bit fed up after a while with me putting the phone down for several minutes at a time and asked if I could move the PC nearer to the phone. They then asked me what I saw on the PC screen and I said nothing because I had to unplug the PC to move it nearer to the phone. After a while I pretended to get really angry with them over some trivial thing they'd said & I shouted that if that was the standard of Microsoft's service then I was never going to use Microsoft again, before hanging up on them. I've had no calls since
captainbeaky13/01/2020 16:24

Got a call from “Microsoft” a couple days ago about my computer being com …Got a call from “Microsoft” a couple days ago about my computer being compromised. They even had the the nerve to ring back asking why I’d hung up on them.

Did they manage to fix it?
Byno13/01/2020 15:45

Actually had 2 calls about this today saying I'll be charged 39.99, a tier …Actually had 2 calls about this today saying I'll be charged 39.99, a tier I'm not aware even exists. Also it's not due to run out for 6 weeks. Unsolicited scam calls, ignore.

That's the student tier.
we have had several free trials of amazon prime and cancelled before the free trial period ends, and have never received a call from them. only a reminder email, and i think you have to select to be reminded otherwise the prime just roll on and you are billed.
Edited by: "mutley1" 13th Jan
cis_groupie13/01/2020 18:25

I had one from "Microsoft" as well, about 8 months ago. I kept pretending …I had one from "Microsoft" as well, about 8 months ago. I kept pretending that the phone was in a different room to my PC so every time they asked me to do something I'd put the phone down for several minutes. When they ask what windows I had I told them that I had 10 downstairs but 16 windows upstairs. When they asked me to 'open windows' I asked how many as I didn't want my house to get too cold. They got a bit fed up after a while with me putting the phone down for several minutes at a time and asked if I could move the PC nearer to the phone. They then asked me what I saw on the PC screen and I said nothing because I had to unplug the PC to move it nearer to the phone. After a while I pretended to get really angry with them over some trivial thing they'd said & I shouted that if that was the standard of Microsoft's service then I was never going to use Microsoft again, before hanging up on them. I've had no calls since

Similar here but I get into the T&C of any softtware they want to install and insist on reading all of them and questioing as much as I can, eventually they get angry swear at me and hang up. Then they usually call back about a week alter adn we do it all over again. It is a fun way to spend an hour when things are quiet
xenophon13/01/2020 19:41

That's the student tier.

Ah well, I certainly don't qualify for that Something I'd expect Amazon to know if it was legit!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants