do contact lens solution expire as per the date on the bottle or can be used a little longer?

Found 23rd Jan 2015
my sister has ignored her contact lenses and left the solution bottles for months.she complains that its because she is busy with kids and its difficult task to keep up with things.really? i dont believe her.but dont disagree completely.

sorry digressed. she has around 10 bottles of solution which have either expired in 07/2014 or 12/2014
can she still use them or has to buy new ones?

thank you
Community Updates
12 Comments
Surely it's not worth any kind of risk when it comes to your (well, her) eyes!
Edited by: "spiderbifida" 23rd Jan 2015
Original Poster
spiderbifida

Surely it's not worth any kind of risk when it comes to your (well, her) … Surely it's not worth any kind of risk when it comes to your (well, her) eyes!

that is exactly what i told her too.
apparently she says she cant afford the len solution.so i told her to continue using glasses only and be more vigilant in the future.
she suggests lenses suit her better.
kmn
Multi-purpose solution or saline? They just get weaker past their date.
Not recommend using the multi-purpose solution a month past its expiration date.
Saline shouldn't be a problem.

Personally I wouldn't risk my eyes.

Edited by: "bargainBooze" 23rd Jan 2015
Like others say it's risky especially considering its for eyes. They have an expiry date for a reason.
Have used similar solution in past without any problems. One of the dates is only a few weeks ago. I have worn lenses for over 25 years and only had a single infection.
I'm still using some from 2011. It's the dregs of an emergency bottle I keep at work just in case.
Original Poster
thank you all.
Tell her consider daily disposables , cost a bit more though, but not solution to worry about
Original Poster
Linley

I'm still using some from 2011. It's the dregs of an emergency bottle I … I'm still using some from 2011. It's the dregs of an emergency bottle I keep at work just in case.

what? you not worried. i have scared the ---- out if her for using 3 month old ones.
Original Poster
mrwhitelabel

Tell her consider daily disposables , cost a bit more though, but not … Tell her consider daily disposables , cost a bit more though, but not solution to worry about

i will make that suggestion to her. but my honest opinion for her is to continue using glasses.
How does she have so many bottles that are expired?

surely she uses the solution everyday when she takes the contacts out?

If she is not using the contacts every day I suggest moving to daily disposables for me a month’s worth lasts around 3 months as I don’t wear them every day
Original Poster
Panixs

How does she have so many bottles that are expired?surely she uses the … How does she have so many bottles that are expired?surely she uses the solution everyday when she takes the contacts out?If she is not using the contacts every day I suggest moving to daily disposables for me a month’s worth lasts around 3 months as I don’t wear them every day

she doest wear them daily and has not been wearing for the past 6 months.silly really
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions