Do councils provide data when using a Data Collection company?

Found 16th Oct 2017
So driving home from work today, I found that some sort of authority had set up some cameras near where I live, i'm assuming it's the council. Unaware, I may have been doing a little over the speed so as you can imagine, I'm now a little on edge. If you're here to give me a telling off on "You deserve it.." then just please don't comment.

I found they're scattered in set places (one near a roundabout, another down a country lane known for heavy congestion, another near another roundabout).

The company was Intelligent Data collect but there was no sign that really this was happening or what it's for. I'm suspecting it's potentially just congestion monitoring but obviously you've got to be cautious.

The camera looked very similar, if not the same, as the one below:

2813468-xO8rg.jpg

As you can see I've been doing alot of research on what could possibly be going on. I'm intrigued to see if the council will tell me or if I contact IDC directly. Any thoughts to put my mind at rest.

It was the Bolton area if anyone is interested or knows.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

Strongly doubt it has anything to do with monitoring speed. Will most probably be a number plate recognition camera as above to check people's insurance/tax etc. Or they could be to catch people who jump red lights. Or they could be to watch congestion.

Original Poster

MIDURIX5 m ago

Strongly doubt it has anything to do with monitoring speed. Will most …Strongly doubt it has anything to do with monitoring speed. Will most probably be a number plate recognition camera as above to check people's insurance/tax etc. Or they could be to catch people who jump red lights. Or they could be to watch congestion.

The insurance/tax sounds logical, I think there's a renovation due around that area too so maybe it's to do with that? Red lights, slim chance i'd say as there are no traffic lights in that area.

I think I scared myself by looking at the survey company's website and they mention they can do surveys that include vehicle speed so I'm still unsure but it sounds reasonable what you mention so maybe I'm overthinking.

I'm for sure going to be a little easier on the pedal haha.

A company saying they can do surveys involving vehicle speedd and a proper speed camera is completely different.

In 2001 the law was changed so that speed cameras had to be painted yellow to ensure visibility. Many other rules were also brought in regarding speed cameras.

The regulations decree that:

• speed camera housings must be coloured yellow
  • camera housings cannot be obscured, e.g. by trees, bushes or signs
  • cameras must be visible from 60m away in 40mph or less zones and 100m for all other speed limit zones
  • signs must only be placed in areas where camera housings are located or where mobile cameras are in operation
  • in order to make them visible, mobile speed camera operators must wearing fluorescent clothing, and their vehicles should be marked with reflective strips
  • camera sites are to be reviewed at least every six months in order to ensure that cameras are adequately visible and signed.

The ANPR cameras round us are green.

Probably counting traffic, using anpr to register vehicles that use the same roads several times a day ( local residents, bus service etc) so they can be removed from calculation. You will possibly find traffic lights,lane priorities (one way streets etc) or parking restrictions being considered.

Agree with @mrty .. it will no doubt be to count traffic, get an good idea of what, where and when. Specially since you said there regeneration going on around you. Don't worry just stick to speed from now on

MIDURIX13 h, 33 m ago

A company saying they can do surveys involving vehicle speedd and a proper …A company saying they can do surveys involving vehicle speedd and a proper speed camera is completely different. In 2001 the law was changed so that speed cameras had to be painted yellow to ensure visibility. Many other rules were also brought in regarding speed cameras.The regulations decree that:speed camera housings must be coloured yellowcamera housings cannot be obscured, e.g. by trees, bushes or signscameras must be visible from 60m away in 40mph or less zones and 100m for all other speed limit zonessigns must only be placed in areas where camera housings are located or where mobile cameras are in operationin order to make them visible, mobile speed camera operators must wearing fluorescent clothing, and their vehicles should be marked with reflective stripscamera sites are to be reviewed at least every six months in order to ensure that cameras are adequately visible and signed.

is it actually law, or just guidance issued by the NPCC?

adamspencer955 h, 18 m ago

is it actually law, or just guidance issued by the NPCC?

That was a copy and paste and it says law

MIDURIX1 h, 9 m ago

That was a copy and paste and it says law

you didn't quote the source, so it could be from anyone and at any time.

i found this

ukmotorists.com/spe…asp

and this

telegraph.co.uk/mot…tml

which says there is no law which requires cameras to be easily visible or indeed painted yellow, and using this as a defense if you are caught by a hidden camera will get you nowhere.

as i questioned, it is ACPO/DofT guidance and they are free to do whatever they want.

adamspencer956 m ago

you didn't quote the source, so it could be from anyone and at any time.i …you didn't quote the source, so it could be from anyone and at any time.i found thishttp://www.ukmotorists.com/speed_camera_faq.aspand thishttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/2749315/Speed-camera-rules-change-as-quick-as-a-flash.htmlwhich says there is no law which requires cameras to be easily visible or indeed painted yellow, and using this as a defense if you are caught by a hidden camera will get you nowhere.as i questioned, it is ACPO/DofT guidance and they are free to do whatever they want.

I wasn't been harsh, just letting you know, buy I think you are right anyway, looks like it was law in 2001 and then changed again in something like 2007, so no longer get need to be yellow.

Were they around westhoughton? I have been told the 1s around westhoughton are counting traffic ahead of the potential new bypass through westhoughton from the m61 to the m6

Original Poster

nathanrelph26 m ago

Were they around westhoughton? I have been told the 1s around westhoughton …Were they around westhoughton? I have been told the 1s around westhoughton are counting traffic ahead of the potential new bypass through westhoughton from the m61 to the m6

Aye that's the one. They've been removed now but I did hear that. Regardless I've been more relaxed about the situation haha.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants