Groups

Do dimmable halogen lights use less electric when dimmed ?

Noticed they're 230watts !

8 Comments

I think the 230 will be referring to volts

As above I think the 230 will be volts. Most halogens are around 50/60 watts unless it's an outside floodlight or something.

Nope
    Use same amount of electricity

Not reslly. Why not get yourself some LEDs - money saving all round...

If you have halogen lights in your internal home lighting I would swap them for dimmable led lights. Depending on bulb type i.e. G4, G9, GU10 they use a lot of power and produce a lot of heat. I've binned two GU10 spots where the clamp between the lamp holder and metal bracket had gone brittle due to heat.

One example is the new lamp I got in the front room that used 5x28W Halogen bulbs @ 140Watts, kinda smelled like melting plastic when I had them on I swapped these for 5x6W LED bulbs @ 30Watts. Massive power saving and no issue melting.

blackburnr

NopeUse same amount of electricity

Yes they do - above's taking dapee!

Yours are likely to be \bout 50watt /230V and go as low as 10watts when dimmed

kester76

If you have halogen lights in your internal home lighting I would swap … If you have halogen lights in your internal home lighting I would swap them for dimmable led lights. Depending on bulb type i.e. G4, G9, GU10 they use a lot of power and produce a lot of heat. I've binned two GU10 spots where the clamp between the lamp holder and metal bracket had gone brittle due to heat.One example is the new lamp I got in the front room that used 5x28W Halogen bulbs @ 140Watts, kinda smelled like melting plastic when I had them on I swapped these for 5x6W LED bulbs @ 30Watts. Massive power saving and no issue melting.

You'll need to ensure any LEDs are compatible with your existing dimming system. Unfortunately it isn't a once size fits all with LED and dimming.

ipswich78

You'll need to ensure any LEDs are compatible with your existing dimming … You'll need to ensure any LEDs are compatible with your existing dimming system. Unfortunately it isn't a once size fits all with LED and dimming.

True, I didn't take into account on how old ops lighting system was. I would probably swap to something like this
    amazon.co.uk/Var…led
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!1719
      2. Iptv1228
      3. Music download79
      4. FedEx sent me a Duty & Tax Invoice - Advice needed67

See more discussions