do ethernet splitter work?

Found 24th Jan 2015
Looking for a splitter for my raspbmc. I have a 2 port pass through plug which are used for tv and xbox. Instead of unplugging cables can I just add and splitter to one of them (probably the tv one) and then add a short patch lead to the raspbmc too?
I can't use a switch as I don't have a spare power socket near by.
m.ebay.co.uk/itm…275

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
If you were using the splitter between the device and your router/switch then it might work (with some caveats, the main one being that you would not achieve gigabit speeds). But the presence of (from what I understand) a two-port powerline/homeplug adapter in the equation adds a big uncertainty for me. I think that in order to work, the powerline adapter would have to be capable of supporting gigabit speeds (I'm not aware that any/many do).
The reason is that the splitter works by taking the ethernet cable's 8 wires and splitting them into two groups of four. Four wires (one group) go to each ethernet socket in the splitter. This works for 10/100mpbs speeds since only 4 wires are utilised. However, for gigabit speeds all eight wires are required. So the powerline adapter would need to cope with signals on all eight wires simultaneously.

Given the minimal (99p) outlay, you might want to try it but I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope.
Original Poster
It wasn't the switch cost- it's the lack of a psu for the switch (or if I plug switch in I can't use something else) raspberry pi with poe capabilities would have been ideal.
I may try the splitter. If doesn't work any other thoughts?
No. That won't work.

The spliiters work in pairs, one at each end of the cable.As already said, it allows two 4-wire 10/100 ethernet connections to use a single 8-wire gigabit-capable ethernet cable. Something like this:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/files/ethernet_splitter_966.jpg
t3rm3y

It wasn't the switch cost- it's the lack of a psu for the switch (or if … It wasn't the switch cost- it's the lack of a psu for the switch (or if I plug switch in I can't use something else) raspberry pi with poe capabilities would have been ideal.I may try the splitter. If doesn't work any other thoughts?

then buy a multi plug extension cable
Mod
If the rPi is sitting at the TV, does the TV have a USB port you can use to power it?
Original Poster
BeerDrinker

If the rPi is sitting at the TV, does the TV have a USB port you can use … If the rPi is sitting at the TV, does the TV have a USB port you can use to power it?

I have a 4port usb hub which is plugged into the main, and powers the rPi,
I suppose the alternitive would be a small switch with powered USB ports if that exists? it only needs to power the rPi and a portable harddrive.
joshm

If you were using the splitter between the device and your router/switch … If you were using the splitter between the device and your router/switch then it might work (with some caveats, the main one being that you would not achieve gigabit speeds). But the presence of (from what I understand) a two-port powerline/homeplug adapter in the equation adds a big uncertainty for me. I think that in order to work, the powerline adapter would have to be capable of supporting gigabit speeds (I'm not aware that any/many do).The reason is that the splitter works by taking the ethernet cable's 8 wires and splitting them into two groups of four. Four wires (one group) go to each ethernet socket in the splitter. This works for 10/100mpbs speeds since only 4 wires are utilised. However, for gigabit speeds all eight wires are required. So the powerline adapter would need to cope with signals on all eight wires simultaneously.Given the minimal (99p) outlay, you might want to try it but I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope.

hey, im bit of a noob when it comes to this, what does it mean by 100bmps or 500mps speed? i get 20mpbs speed, so does it matter?

thankyou:)
whelan189

hey, im bit of a noob when it comes to this, what does it mean by 100bmps … hey, im bit of a noob when it comes to this, what does it mean by 100bmps or 500mps speed? i get 20mpbs speed, so does it matter?thankyou:)

20mpbs will be your WAN-side download speed. In other words, your internet download speed. Your LAN-side speed will likely be much greater - either 100mbps (fast ethernet) or 1000mbps (gigabit).

Further reading: your network provider may have recommended/provided a "modem/router" when you first signed up. The modem part takes care of translating the signal coming down the phone line/cable into meaningful chunks of data that your computers can understand. The router part acts as a link/gateway between two separate networks - your local network (LAN) and the network connection to the internet (WAN).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants