Do i habe to give free bed and electric armchair back to council

Posted 8th Apr
I received a free bed and chair today from the council will the council ever need these back as i may dispose of my current bed?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
bozo00708/04/2020 19:48

What a waste. Probably cheaper to thoroughly clean & disinfect, then …What a waste. Probably cheaper to thoroughly clean & disinfect, then reuse.

And this is why there is such a black hole with money in this country. Why would the council care if the taxpayers pay for it.

My mum had a back operation a couple years ago and was given a small stool for the bathroom for washing herself and also a commode type chair. She offered to hose them both down and disinfect them so they could be reused and was told no, they won't be used again so to dispose of them. I can understand not trusting someone has thoroughly cleaned them but surely they could be collected and disinfected in bulk at a massive saving over cost price to replace.
Edited by: "a666andy" 8th Apr
22 Comments
Was it part of a grant? If so then no they are yours to do whatever you want
They dont belong to you. They belong to the council.
Arto08/04/2020 18:58

Was it part of a grant? If so then no they are yours to do whatever you …Was it part of a grant? If so then no they are yours to do whatever you want

Social services
Usually when the council give household items...there are yours to keep unless it’s a temporary homeless unit and waiting to be rehoused then there not legally yours to keep(y)
If they are given specifically to you for medical reasons they are yours until you don’t need them. They must be returned when finished with them.
Edited by: "rebecca.copson" 8th Apr
They won’t want them back. Health and Safety.
My grandad go a stair lift and used it once, before he passed away.
It was only 6-8 weeks old and they said no thanks.
They were going to charge up to remove it as flat was going back to the council.
We dragged it outside leaving bare wires, probably still live.
£6000 stairlift dumped in the garden.
they won't want it back. they wouldn't even remember they gave it to you, let alone want it back! their red tape and lack of scrutiny is unlikely to have any sort of process in place to get things back.

are the furniture second hand? they get second hand furniture for free, donated from the public.
bigwheels08/04/2020 19:17

They won’t want them back. Health and Safety.My grandad go a stair lift a …They won’t want them back. Health and Safety.My grandad go a stair lift and used it once, before he passed away.It was only 6-8 weeks old and they said no thanks.They were going to charge up to remove it as flat was going back to the council.We dragged it outside leaving bare wires, probably still live.£6000 stairlift dumped in the garden.

What a waste. Probably cheaper to thoroughly clean & disinfect, then reuse.
My friends mum went into a home and the bed is still there over a year on no one ever asked for it back x
bozo00708/04/2020 19:48

What a waste. Probably cheaper to thoroughly clean & disinfect, then …What a waste. Probably cheaper to thoroughly clean & disinfect, then reuse.

And this is why there is such a black hole with money in this country. Why would the council care if the taxpayers pay for it.

My mum had a back operation a couple years ago and was given a small stool for the bathroom for washing herself and also a commode type chair. She offered to hose them both down and disinfect them so they could be reused and was told no, they won't be used again so to dispose of them. I can understand not trusting someone has thoroughly cleaned them but surely they could be collected and disinfected in bulk at a massive saving over cost price to replace.
Edited by: "a666andy" 8th Apr
Contact the dept that gave them to you and ask them..............it is the only way you will get a definitive answer.
Edited by: "gari189" 8th Apr
of the NRSF scheme (can't element exact acronym) they trust the user to call and arrange for the collection of the goods once they are no longer required. in the past family members have had walking sticks, crutches, wheelchair, electric bed etc and I've always been conscious of the fact that they need to be returned. infact, one of the borough's recently sent an email around asking ppl to 'give stuff back'.
Charity
How about contacting the council?
They want beds, chairs, wheelchairs, commodes, bath seats etc back once you have finished with them.They don't take back crutches, walking frames, toilet seat raisers.
Milly5409/04/2020 05:47

They want beds, chairs, wheelchairs, commodes, bath seats etc back once …They want beds, chairs, wheelchairs, commodes, bath seats etc back once you have finished with them.They don't take back crutches, walking frames, toilet seat raisers.

I take it you work for a cancer charity x
Ring the council, if you listen to the wrong people on forums you could be out of pocket..

im not saying everyone is wrong but some will be, but surely the first place you ask would be the council..
My grandad has the chair and bed, and they told him they do take them. my neighbour had the bed and shower stools, and they collected them a week after she passed away.

Different councils may have different rules.
Edited by: "choccie32" 9th Apr
Ask the people that sent them to you in the first instance as these things may vary locally. There is no such thing as 'free stuff from the council'. It comes from the limited kitty that rate/tax payers pay into. We all have a moral obligation to help here.
Milly5409/04/2020 15:55

Why do you think i work for a cancer charity?

Why? Because that is what they like. Electric Armchairs are a godsend to people with terminal cancer when they are at home. People on the verge of dying do not like walking up & down stairs & an electric chair is not only a seat but somewhere where they can fall asleep.

Any cancer charity would snap your hand off for an electric chair.
Willy_Wonka09/04/2020 16:03

Why? Because that is what they like. Electric Armchairs are a godsend to …Why? Because that is what they like. Electric Armchairs are a godsend to people with terminal cancer when they are at home. People on the verge of dying do not like walking up & down stairs & an electric chair is not only a seat but somewhere where they can fall asleep. Any cancer charity would snap your hand off for an electric chair.

No, i don't work for any charity. I recently returned all those items (apart from chair as i have my own rise& recline chair) as they tell you when you have them that they are only on loan for however long you need them. They send people out to service things like chairs, bath seats & beds.
Maybe it's just my council that does this.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions