Do I have a power rail fault on psu or is it graphics card related(more likely)

5 replies
Found 24th Feb 2011
PC and card worked fine till a few months ago till I went to replace the leds on front of pc so had to remove card to acess the front panel connector.

When I put it back it worked itermittantly i.e if I powered on PC the post screen didnt appear and I have to leave the card 5-10 minutes to heat up then power off then back on then it worked each time.

one day I put a dab of WD40 onto the connectors then it worked fine for the months following till I had to remove card and mobo as I wanted to clean the fans.

Since then it has pretty much not worked at all, if I give the card or power connector a nudge when turned off it seems to work, but when I power off again and put side of case back on it no longer works.

the strange thing is its going into Windows you just cant see whats on the screen!

Anyway to test the rails?

EDIT : its a HD4870 2 years old, and PSU is a OCZ Stealhstream 600W psu, only other card I own is a 9800GT that doesnt need the power rail so its hard to test, but the 9800GT works first time so its not the slot.

5 Comments

You put WD40 on electrical connectors? WD40 is a lubricant, it doesn't try up its not alcohol based. So over time it is going to attract dust and form a non conductive coating. I would clean them electrical connectors up with a proper alcohol based electrical contact cleaner and see if that works.

Edited by: "jonny619447" 25th Feb 2011

Original Poster

jonny619447

You put WD40 on electrical connectors? WD40 is a lubricant, it doesn't … You put WD40 on electrical connectors? WD40 is a lubricant, it doesn't try up its not alcohol based. So over time it is going to attract dust and form a non conductive coating. I would clean them electrical connectors up with a proper alcohol based electrical contact cleaner and see if that works.

Cheers, the graphics card stopped working exactly when I wiped the WD40 off since I was worried about it still being on there.

I think its more of a GPU fault though or its just too heavy for the PCI'e slot since even if the power connectors arent plugged in I dont get the "warning you havent connected one or more power connectors" message either which I should

I did notce at the back of the card where the power connector are is burning hot but rest of card is cold.

Original Poster

Appears to be finally sorted, seemed to be a seating issue which is what I originally thought since it worked at random if graphics card moved as I thought.

I tested it on my other quad core pc and it worked every time so I knew it wasnt card.

Eventually I "fixed" it by bending a bit of the metal that clips into the case thus stopped it from moving when seated now it has worked 5 out of 5 power ons and in many different positions(i,e on side, moved across room etc)

Original Poster

And its not, when I got up today it has gone back to switching back to onboard graphics for some reason and ignoring the pci'e strange.

ryouga

And its not, when I got up today it has gone back to switching back to … And its not, when I got up today it has gone back to switching back to onboard graphics for some reason and ignoring the pci'e strange.

This is beyond my knowledge, maybe someone else can tell you how to make it look for PCI-E first rather then default to your onboard, good luck mate
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best place to get Euro's... this Wednesday?914
    2. Netflix Family - Anyone got any places going?312
    3. Best/cheapest music service66
    4. I have a pretty old sky router and the power lead needs replacing, is it li…33

See more discussions