Groups

Do I have to pay to end my BT Broadband?

Appreciate any help, just called BT to give notice of cancellation of BT Phone and Broadband as switching to Virgin and they have said I need to pay £30 for Migration Authorisation Code (MAC) process.

Not keeping the same phone number etc but it seems unfair as am cancelling when my contract ends (12 February).

25 Comments

i got the same answer from plusnet when i cancelled my broadband but their excuse was that i didn't transfer to another provider, that is, it would have been free if I had asked for a MAC and that was used.

you seem to satisfy that and you are still being ripped off.

don't think you will need the MAC if you aren't taking your number with you.

Original Poster

How should I challenge this?

Thanks for replying.

Banned

What BB service did you have with BT? if it was through your telephone line and you are moving to Virgin Cable/fibre BB I don't think you would need a MAC, easiest thing to do is contact Virgin and ask if they need the code, if they don't then ignore what BT are telling you.

Banned

broadbandchoices.co.uk/gui…des

If you have (WARNING: jargon alert)...local loop unbundled (LLU) broadband - see our jargon buster for a brief explanation of LLU - which you're likely to have if you're with Plusnet, Sky or TalkTalk, or if you have Virgin Media cable broadband, you won't need a MAC to switch broadband.

When you switch from LLU broadband the provider you're switching to will contact your current provider itself to make the switch once you've signed up to one of their packages. If you're switching from or to cable broadband you don't need a MAC because cable broadband doesn't use a regular phone line.

Just cancel the DD and email BT with confirmation of you leaving them. Theyll probably writw back to you demanding the £30 but its just bully boy tactics as you dont need the MAC

Original Poster

Thank you all. Much appreciated.

There should be no charge when requesting a MAC Code but "However, I can't change to Sky yet as BT require a 30 day notice and will charge £30 if this isn't observed" maybe that's what BT were thinking about.....unless they were on about the Broadband Disconnection Charge....

What is the Broadband Disconnection Charge?It’s a charge applied by BT W … What is the Broadband Disconnection Charge?It’s a charge applied by BT Wholesale (the suppliers of our broadband network) to cover to cost of the work required to disconnect the services from the exchange.When will the charge be raised?This charge will be raised should you :- Switch to another broadband provider without following the standard Migration Authorisation Code (MAC) process. Switch to another broadband provider without following another recognised transfer process, when it applies. Switch to a cable provider. Cease your broadband completely. Cease your broadband and move outside of the UK.When won’t the charge be raised?This charge will not be raised should you :- Transfer the services via our Home Move process. Migrate the services using a MAC code. Migrate the services following another recognised transfer process, when it applies. Transfer the account into another person’s name who subscribes to our broadband services.How much will I be charged?The charge will be £40 including VAT.

£30 for a mac code , never heard that before ?
    Cancel now and thats the 30 days notice
    Ending early in contract will cost you
    But lucky your near the end anyway
    Ring and cancel and pay up until the 12th feb
    Mac codes are free and dont think you need one with virgin

Original Poster

Apologies, my mistake. The T&C's state:

Broadband Cease Charge
    What is the Broadband Cease Charge?

The Broadband Cease Charge is a charge raised in certain circumstances to cover the additional cost to BT of the work required within an exchange to recover equipment and amend records when a Broadband line is ceased.
    When will the charge be raised?

This charge will be raised should you :-

Switch to another Broadband provider without following the standard Migration Authorisation Code (MAC) process.
    Switch to another Broadband provider without following another recognised transfer process, when it applies.
    Switch to a Cable provider.
    Cease your Broadband completely.
    Cease your Broadband and move outside of the UK.

When won't the charge be raised?

This charge will not be raised should you :-

Move home and you re-connect to BT Total Broadband via the homemover process.
    Move home and we are unable to provide the service at your new UK address.
    You are ceasing service due to bereavement or severe illness.

How much will I be charged?

Charge will be £30. This charge is compensatory and not subject to VAT.
    What is the MAC transfer process?

MAC stands for "Migration Authorisation Code". This code of practice allows customers to move between Broadband providers without loss of service. To follow the MAC process a customer must contact their current Broadband provider to request a MAC Code. This MAC code must then be given to the receiving Broadband provider to enable them to migrate the broadband service.

Original Poster

Bradleigh

£30 for a mac code , never heard that before ?Cancel now and thats the 30 … £30 for a mac code , never heard that before ?Cancel now and thats the 30 days noticeEnding early in contract will cost youBut lucky your near the end anywayRing and cancel and pay up until the 12th febMac codes are free and dont think you need one with virgin

I have today given notice of cancellation. I am in debit at the moment but that's paying until the end of March.

My next DD will be on 1st February so unsure whether to cancel it now and just await my final bill (not sure if this will result in a non-payment strike against me) or just cancel when the DD is paid?

Original Poster

BT has now informed me that the £30 cancellation fee is payable because Virgin use their own cables.

Husband currently arguing with BT on the phone, lol.

Think its worth ringing them
    Even if you cancel the dd they will send you a bill anyway
    Explain you will pay till end of contract unless no fee is charged for cancelling a few weeks early
    My guess is they will want you to pay till the end
    You could cancel and ask them to bill you for what you owe
    Or make payment over the phone then cancel dd

Im a bt customer and cant see how they can charge you for cancelling the service
    So how long before others charge you for a code
    Im not up on virgins service but id be asking if you need the mac code or not
    Then ring bt back

Original Poster

BT are not giving me the code, but I still can't understand why I need to pay the £30.

I'm not happy with their service and prices, got a better deal elsewhere. Always paid on time etc but I have to pay to stop their service, certainly will not return to them in the future.

I will ask Virgin tomorrow if they need the code.

Not a happy bunny!

Quote "This charge will be raised should you :-

Switch to a Cable provider.
    Cease your Broadband completely.
    Cease your Broadband and move outside of the UK.

When won't the charge be raised?
    This charge will not be raised should you :-
    You are ceasing service due to bereavement or severe illness."
    If you're terminating within contract period then maybe yes but if your contract is up and you give them the 30 days required notice how can these be fair t & c's?

Will they come down the Crem?

Original Poster

Flynn Jack

Quote "This charge will be raised should you :-[b]Switch to a Cable … Quote "This charge will be raised should you :-[b]Switch to a Cable provider.Cease your Broadband completely.If you're terminating within contract period then maybe yes but if your contract is up and you give them the 30 days required notice how can these be fair t & c's? Will they come down the Crem?

I don't think they are fair at all. I've given them more than the 30 days notice.

They have said the cost is to send an engineer to the 'box'.

Haha, I would imagine they wouldn't attend a crem.

Original Poster

Just called Virgin and they don't need the MAC code as its Fibre Optic.

As I understand it, if you're moving to a provider who don't use BT's equipment for broadband (eg Virgin) then the current broadband service is totally disconnected. Think I read somewhere that this involves a BT engineer having to make a trip to your phone exchange to do some work, hence the £30 disconnection charge.

Original Poster

Ahh, thank you, but still don't think it's completely fair though.

BT can't charge after the end of the contract, so wait until that is up before requesting a MAC code, however Virgin don't need one.

Original Poster

So, if I request a MAC code, then I will not be charged the £30. (even though Virgin don't need it)?

BT do not HAVE to send an engineer to a box at all. They might chose to do it but they dont have to. All they need to do is press a button on a PC to cease your broadband. Theyre just taking the p*ss.... Unfortunately, its in your contract so you've probably got to pay it.

Original Poster

stuarthanley

BT do not HAVE to send an engineer to a box at all. They might chose to … BT do not HAVE to send an engineer to a box at all. They might chose to do it but they dont have to. All they need to do is press a button on a PC to cease your broadband. Theyre just taking the p*ss.... Unfortunately, its in your contract so you've probably got to pay it.

I see what you mean but I won't actually be in a contract as the contract end date is 11 February and they are switching it off on 12 February. But I guess I'm just splitting hairs now.

The whole thing has just annoyed me, but I shall be reading all T&C's from now on.

stuarthanley

BT do not HAVE to send an engineer to a box at all. They might chose to … BT do not HAVE to send an engineer to a box at all. They might chose to do it but they dont have to. All they need to do is press a button on a PC to cease your broadband. Theyre just taking the p*ss.... Unfortunately, its in your contract so you've probably got to pay it.

That's not true. Equipment at the exchange end is recovered, jumper wires as they're known. It takes about 4 minutes to do for an engineer on just shy of £14 quid an hour.

The charge has been there since about 2010, it's in your contract. I don't agree with it but it is the contract you agreed too. You don't need a MAC as you're moving off the BT wholesale network.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Using delete and back keys on updated Hotukdeals website.11
      2. Photobook for up to 400 photos?23
      3. When Broadband Contracts End, Does The Price Increase Significantly, If You…11
      4. Curry haggle price?89

See more discussions