Groups

Do I have to pay to text a UK number abroad?

My friend is on Talkmobile and intends to text my UK number while I am in Germany will they be charged?
    Thank you in advance

7 Comments

No, any SMS will be treated like you were at home, applies for sending or receiving, MMS (picture messages) will most likely be chargeable.
    Edited by: "PKRichie" 4th Jun

No as the recipient is charged if he / she reads the text. Otherwise we would all complain to network providers as we would not be aware of anyone who has gone abroad and we happen to text them.

he will pay like standard text in uk. doesn't matter where you are. from 15 of this month even you texting from your uk number while you are abroad you will be charge as normal text in uk. not anymore roaming

Nobody will be charged more than normal text. Receiving is free.

From 15 June it is law that EU roaming is free. Unless I have misunderstood, this means that you are treated as if you are still in the UK when you are in the EU.

As the above poster said that you will be charged for reading the text or answering any calls from the UK before 15 June.
    Edited by: "mutley1" 4th Jun

You will be treated as if you are at home. I thought that would mean it would come out of your UK allowance, in reality phone companies seem to have interpreted it as you will pay the standard UK call cost if you didn't have a contract or exceeded your allowance.

mutley1

From 15 June it is law that EU roaming is free. Unless I have … From 15 June it is law that EU roaming is free. Unless I have misunderstood, this means that you are treated as if you are still in the UK when you are in the EU.As the above poster said that you will be charged for reading the text or answering any calls from the UK before 15 June.

​seems correct but i don't think u get charged for reading/recivieing text messages it costs to answer a call though doesn't matter even if ur outside Europe text messages from normal numbers are free to receive/read.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Boxes for moving house?11
      2. Speccing a gaming pc22
      3. Kitchen tap replacement11
      4. Do you use a case on your iPhone?1212

See more discussions