Groups
    EXPIRED

Do i keep my TV box??

I recently bought a 37" Sony TV, and i've been trying to find out whether i need to keep the box. I don't really have room for it but i don't want to get rid of it just in case i need it in the event of the TV going wrong whilst under warranty.

Do any of you guys know??

Thanks in advance.

9 Comments

If you return it you dont need the original box BUT when you return if your going to need to buy or at least get a box so best flat pack it and bung it in the loft

You don't need to keep the box, just the receipt. It's just not practical to keep the box for everything you buy.

We had the same problem but were told categorically that they wouldn't accept a return without the original box and packaging, so it's still flat packed in the garage a year later! I'd say be on the safe side and keep it somewhere.

I usually keep the boxes to these sort of items for a little while and if appears fine then recycle out. My tv didn't come in a box as such,it was more of a card sleeve and the tv was on a base of polystyrene ( can't spell! )

As you no room,I'd bin after a mth say.

Shark Girl;5491320

We had the same problem but were told categorically that they wouldn't … We had the same problem but were told categorically that they wouldn't accept a return without the original box and packaging, so it's still flat packed in the garage a year later! I'd say be on the safe side and keep it somewhere.

I'm sure usually by return they mean "I don't want it anymore", if you're taking it back because it's faulty they surely can't reasonably ask it to be returned it in its box.

I say throw it

Smaller low cost stuff I keep boxes for a month or so, larger stuff or expensive stuff for minimum of 1 year in the loft flattened, will it not slide behind a wardrobe flattened out?

Legally speaking you don't need to return a faulty item in it's original box.

Chances are if it did break down in warranty,depending who you bought it from,someone may just come to your home and fix it anyway.

Original Poster

thanks for the advice guys, i received this from Sony today.

Thank you for your recent e-mail received on 14/06/2009 08.54 PM.

I am pleased to learn that you are the owner of the stylish KDL-37V4000.

In reply to your enquiry, retaining the original packaging would be a matter of personal choice, should you have intentions of utilising it at a later date.

The warranty only covers any repair, parts and labour, in working with the terms and conditions of the warranty. However, it does not cover accidental damages nor does it include the packaging.
    Your valid proof of purchase receipt supplied to you by the retailer is sufficient documentation for the standard Sony manufacturer's warranty.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad news about Barcelona24108
      2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2952
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?26120
      4. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 891718

See more discussions