Expired

Do I need a card in sky box to get freeview chanels?

Found 6th May 2012
if i haven't got a card, what chanels won't i get?
or what ones will i get?

thanks
Community Updates
17 Comments
you need to ring sky and get a freeview card £22 if I recall, be warned they will tell you that they will turn off the recording and playback on your sky box, unless you pay £10 a month, however my mum did this and they never turned it off
Edited by: "Aeschylus" 6th May 2012
you can get all the freeview chanels that you would get from freesat.
mutley1

you can get all the freeview chanels that you would get from freesat.

Not without a card. I thought if you didnt have a card in you will only get a few channels, you certainly don't get bbc1 and bbc2, but pretty sure you won't get hardly any. As Aeschylus says, you need to ring sky and ask for a freesat card, last time we did it it cost us £20, but that was quite a few years ago.
Strange, I removed the card from my box and most of the freeview channels still worked even after unplugging
I understand sky+ boxe do not record or playback unless you cough up £10 a month
manda1

Not without a card. I thought if you didnt have a card in you will only … Not without a card. I thought if you didnt have a card in you will only get a few channels, you certainly don't get bbc1 and bbc2, but pretty sure you won't get hardly any. As Aeschylus says, you need to ring sky and ask for a freesat card, last time we did it it cost us £20, but that was quite a few years ago.

i took my card out and i get all the freesat channels. i asked sky and they confirmed this as i wanted to leave sky. the sky + functions won't work without the card though so you can't record or series link.
If you google this there is at least one link which gives the main channels
When your card expires you lose a few channels, however you can manually retune nearly all of them back in, I have a PDF with all the info if anyone is interested I will upload it to dropbox or similar.

dropbox.com/s/1…PDF
Edited by: "harlzter" 6th May 2012
if you need a box with card, then i recommend to look on ebay as there are plenty of boxes for sale with cards! Good luck
mutley1

i took my card out and i get all the freesat channels. i asked sky and … i took my card out and i get all the freesat channels. i asked sky and they confirmed this as i wanted to leave sky. the sky + functions won't work without the card though so you can't record or series link.

My bad then, I remember when we took my grandad a normal sky box quite a few years back, without a card in, and I remember he didnt have the bbc channels and quite a few others were missing which is why we rang and got him a card so he could have them all, this was quite a few years ago though.
manda1

Not without a card. I thought if you didnt have a card in you will only … Not without a card. I thought if you didnt have a card in you will only get a few channels, you certainly don't get bbc1 and bbc2, but pretty sure you won't get hardly any. As Aeschylus says, you need to ring sky and ask for a freesat card, last time we did it it cost us £20, but that was quite a few years ago.

Ignore this advice! ^^^^^^^^

You have NEVER needed a viewing card for BBC or ITV content. There are a couple of channels that are free but are soft encyrpted that you would lose without a card.

guv

Ignore this advice! ^^^^^^^^You have NEVER needed a viewing card for BBC … Ignore this advice! ^^^^^^^^You have NEVER needed a viewing card for BBC or ITV content. There are a couple of channels that are free but are soft encyrpted that you would lose without a card.

Alright calm down, I did say my bad above^. I still stand by that we definitly had a lot of channels missing with my grandads, we still had to get him a card to get everything.
manda1

Alright calm down, I did say my bad above^. I still stand by that we … Alright calm down, I did say my bad above^. I still stand by that we definitly had a lot of channels missing with my grandads, we still had to get him a card to get everything.

You still stand by needing a viewing card for BBC1 and BBC2 (Specific channels you listed?)
guv

You still stand by needing a viewing card for BBC1 and BBC2 (Specific … You still stand by needing a viewing card for BBC1 and BBC2 (Specific channels you listed?)

Nope because my hubby has informed me they did get them but they werent regional and so they couldnt watch our news, so that was why we had to get them a card. So I'll shut up now! :P
manda1

Nope because my hubby has informed me they did get them but they werent … Nope because my hubby has informed me they did get them but they werent regional and so they couldnt watch our news, so that was why we had to get them a card. So I'll shut up now! :P

Take a look at my link its a pdf but viewable online, tells you how to get the regional versions
What wire do I need to plug my basic sky box into a sat dish and tv and do I need a card to recieve freeview and do I need another tv ariel to pick up freeview? Shell
Bunney

What wire do I need to plug my basic sky box into a sat dish and tv and … What wire do I need to plug my basic sky box into a sat dish and tv and do I need a card to recieve freeview and do I need another tv ariel to pick up freeview? Shell

You wont get freeview with a sky box and neither will connecting an aerial be any good either.

However to connect the box to a dish you will need some satellite coaxial,a card is not required but you will need to do some manual tuning for some channels, what you are going to get is freeSAT not freeVIEW
I currently have; Sky Multiroom, HD box in one room and non HD in other.
If I switch HD box to Freesat card, but leave other alone. Do I still need multiroom?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants