Do I need a gigabit switch or will 10/100mbps be sufficient

Found 17th Oct 2017
Hi, I have powerline adapters in my home and want to add a switch to the one behind my tv so I can plug both my smart tv and android box in. I only have 12mb internet. My question is do I need to spend around £20 on a netgear gigabit switch or should a cheap £6 tp link do exactly the same due to only having 12mb internet anyway?
Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
7 Comments

Original Poster

I will be using both the smart tv and android box to view iptv, so if the gigabit switch would help in anyway at all I shall go for that (i.e reduce buffering)

Nope, Gigabit will not make any difference in your setup. A simple 10/100 switch is all you need.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 17th Oct 2017

A 10/100 will do but a gigabit switch isn't that much more and offers more future proofing if you ever wanted to stream something from a wireless device to your TV (assuming you have wireless 😁).

I picked up my gigabit switch on amazon for I think £8 and that's a metal cased branded manfacture

if the powerline adapter has only 10/100 interface absolutely no point in going gigabit.

Original Poster

darlodge18 h, 29 m ago

A 10/100 will do but a gigabit switch isn't that much more and offers more …A 10/100 will do but a gigabit switch isn't that much more and offers more future proofing if you ever wanted to stream something from a wireless device to your TV (assuming you have wireless 😁).I picked up my gigabit switch on amazon for I think £8 and that's a metal cased branded manfacture

I already have a 100/10 switch on a different tv and do get lag when AirPlaying from phone. Could this be the reason then?

as above, the difference in cost is likely to be minimal, so even if you dont need gigabit right now, if you ever do in future, at least you wont need a new switch.

it also depends on if your TV and android box are also gigabit - i would guess not.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants