Do I need a passport to fly with easyjet?

Found 4th May 2016
I am looking to fly to the Isle of Man from Gatwick with Easyjet. My passport has ran out so can I use my photo driving licence as ID?

It seems to indicate this for flights within the UK but I am uncertain where Isle of Man falls into this. Googling it would seem to indicate that Isle of Man would be considered internal UK flight.

Anyone got actual experience recently?
Community Updates
9 Comments
eslick

details … details herehttp://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/travel-documentation

i need to see Isle of Man specifically.
mutley1

i need to see Isle of Man specifically.

Found this information with a simple Google search.

Imagine that...
Call easyjet?
The Isle of Man is within the area known, for UK immigration purposes, as the 'Common Travel Area' and flights from the mainland are classified as UK Domestic Flights. For your purposes you don't need a passport (although it is accepted as ID) and the categories of identification listed by Easyjet for UK Domestic flights apply. i.e.

ID for UK domestic flights - what can you take?

If you are flying within the UK you must be able to identify yourself with a form of photographic ID. Here's a list to show you what forms will be accepted at check-in:
A valid passport - an expired passport can be used up to a maximum of five years after expiry
Valid photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
Valid photographic driving licence, provisional or full
Valid armed forces identity card
Valid police warrant card/badge
Valid airport employees security identity pass
CitizenCard
Valid photographic firearm certificate
Valid Government-issued identity card
SMART card
Electoral identity card
Pension Book (the only acceptable form of non-photographic identification)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/common-travel-area-cta/common-travel-area-cta

CTA2.1 Common Travel Area

Paragraph 15 of the Immigration Rules states that the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland collectively form a common travel area. A person who has been examined for the purpose of immigration control at the point at which he entered the area does not normally require leave to enter any other part of it. However certain persons subject to the Immigration (Control of Entry through the Republic of Ireland) Order 1972 (as amended) who enter the United Kingdom through the Republic of Ireland do require leave to enter. This includes:

those who merely passed through the Republic of Ireland;
persons requiring visas;
persons who entered the Republic of Ireland unlawfully;
persons who are subject to directions given by the Secretary of State for their exclusion from the United Kingdom on the ground that their exclusion is conducive to the public good;
persons who entered the Republic from the United Kingdom and Islands after entering there unlawfully or overstaying their leave.
Edited by: "Gordonc1960" 4th May 2016
Take credit card you bought flight with as they may ask to see it.
conclusion is that a photo driving licence is fine. Isle of Man is considered still part of the UK so is classed as domestic flight.
This is an old post, but just to say, for others, you need to check with the airline first, just in case.
- whether or not they accept a particular ID for domestic flights
- whether or not they accept that particular ID for your exact destination (and return from place) if you are flying to within the Common Travel Area

Different carriers might have different definitions of domestic for what they mean in their own flights and regulations, regardless of if "domestic" in official terms includes countries outside the UK. Some carriers might differentiate "UK domestic" and "domestic" or might not make their policy clear without being asked.

So ask them.
Most airlines have online chat with customer service through their website, which is free.
Otherwise phone, and don't leave it late.

Bear this in mind - Ryanair ONLY accept passports from British people on ANY flights, anywhere.
I know Ryanair say they accept Passports only for any international flights, and EU / EEA national identity cards for domestic flights.
But this does NOT mean Ryanair will accept your UK Electoral Identity Card NOR your British driving license for internal UK flights.
Actually - they will not.

The reason for this is that the UK doesn't have any official national identity card.

UK Driving licenses are NOT and UK Electoral Identity Cards are NOT official national Identity cards in the UK (both serve other purposes). We have no official national identity card.

Therefore, Ryanair will only ever accept a passport to board a plane from ANY British person on ANY flight - European, longer haul or within the UK or Common Travel Area.

I think you need to ask the individual airline in good time before you fly (or book - if you still need to apply for a passport) if they will accept anything other than a passport for a domestic flight within the UK or Common Travel Area.
g3204 h, 18 m ago

This is an old post, but just to say, for others, you need to check with …This is an old post, but just to say, for others, you need to check with the airline first, just in case.- whether or not they accept a particular ID for domestic flights- whether or not they accept that particular ID for your exact destination (and return from place) if you are flying to within the Common Travel AreaDifferent carriers might have different definitions of domestic for what they mean in their own flights and regulations, regardless of if "domestic" in official terms includes countries outside the UK. Some carriers might differentiate "UK domestic" and "domestic" or might not make their policy clear without being asked.So ask them.Most airlines have online chat with customer service through their website, which is free.Otherwise phone, and don't leave it late.Bear this in mind - Ryanair ONLY accept passports from British people on ANY flights, anywhere.I know Ryanair say they accept Passports only for any international flights, and EU / EEA national identity cards for domestic flights.But this does NOT mean Ryanair will accept your UK Electoral Identity Card NOR your British driving license for internal UK flights.Actually - they will not.The reason for this is that the UK doesn't have any official national identity card.UK Driving licenses are NOT and UK Electoral Identity Cards are NOT official national Identity cards in the UK (both serve other purposes). We have no official national identity card.Therefore, Ryanair will only ever accept a passport to board a plane from ANY British person on ANY flight - European, longer haul or within the UK or Common Travel Area.I think you need to ask the individual airline in good time before you fly (or book - if you still need to apply for a passport) if they will accept anything other than a passport for a domestic flight within the UK or Common Travel Area.

While I agree you must check with each airline, Ryanair will accept any Photo ID for UK Domestic flights (though they didn't before), flew the other week using my firearms certificate. Link below showing it on the website (around 1/2 way down the page)

ryanair.com/gb/…ons32766267-0zIfw.jpg
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 16th Dec 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants