Do I need planning permission for an out building

6 replies
Found 11th Jul
I would like to build an outbuilding at the bottom of my garden, for general multi use (but not as a self contained living accommodation). I have looked on line and carried out some research relating to "Permitted Development". I have previously built above an existing garage which was attached to the side of my house with a 1st floor bedroom and on-suite. In addition I have a kitchen extension. As I have built above a garage (which has been rebuilt to the 1st floor) would this count towards the permitted allowance (which I believe as not exceeding 50%)? Just wanted to know this before I contact our local planning department. Any information would be most appreciated.

6 Comments

Ring the council and speak to the building regulations department. Best thing to do is draw what u have and what u are planning and email it to them and they will advise you. The planning section are only interested in making money and will most likely advise u apply for planning even though u may not need it.

Not if its over 5m from house and over 1m from boundary

Original Poster

I called the planning department. They said that due to staff shortages there were no one available to talk to. They advised me to put in an planning application.

Our local council has an option for a pre-application consultation where you submit a very rough design of what your proposing. Also note, buildings taller than 2.5metres need prior approval. If you're looking at a non-permanent building like a log cabin, those can traditionally be built with no prior concent.

Dundawala

I called the planning department. They said that due to staff shortages … I called the planning department. They said that due to staff shortages there were no one available to talk to. They advised me to put in an planning application.

Try talking to building regulation as like i said planning is no help. They dont want to help on the goverment permitted devlopment scheme as they make no money from it. The building regs department are normally more helpful and have better understanding on permitted developments.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21128
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769544
    3. Exploding Paw Patrol foam soap Leaves child in ICU11
    4. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3065

See more discussions