Do I need special scissors?

Found 14th Nov 2017
I have been using a pair of stainless steel scissors to cut fabric to do my sewing. It has plastic handles and is very sharp and does the job, but I wonder if I should buy a special pair of scissors?

I have seen people use scissors with metal handles on the you tube videos, from which I have been learning to sew, and wonder if they would be better than ones with plastic handles?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
If you have to ask maybe you need plastic scissors like these?
32434549-SKMvN.jpg

Seriously though, the handles don't make any difference to the cutting, just to the comfort.
19 Comments
If you have to ask maybe you need plastic scissors like these?
32434549-SKMvN.jpg

Seriously though, the handles don't make any difference to the cutting, just to the comfort.
mrty4 m ago

If you have to ask maybe you need plastic scissors like these?[Image] If you have to ask maybe you need plastic scissors like these?[Image] Seriously though, the handles don't make any difference to the cutting, just to the comfort.

i wondered that if the handles are metallic, the scissors would be more sturdy and so be better suited to cutting fabric?
Look for a pair that has no movement except on the rotation. That's the most important. Also use pinking shears which stop the material fraying. Pinking shears .
mrty2 m ago

Look for a pair that has no movement except on the rotation. That's the …Look for a pair that has no movement except on the rotation. That's the most important. Also use pinking shears which stop the material fraying. Pinking shears .

what does no movement except on rotation mean? do you mean the blades don't move until you open them?

why does pinking shears stop material fraying?
No movement except on the rotation means that it items and shuts, but the blades don't pull apart and hence not cut.
As for why pinking shears stop material fraying, I don't know but they do. They have 'teeth' and cut with a zig zag.
mrty5 m ago

No movement except on the rotation means that it items and shuts, but the …No movement except on the rotation means that it items and shuts, but the blades don't pull apart and hence not cut. As for why pinking shears stop material fraying, I don't know but they do. They have 'teeth' and cut with a zig zag.

thanks. the scissors that i am using is very sharp and the blades don't pull apart. i have no idea where i got them from, but they were there when i was going around the house looking for scissors. they are very light but they are very sharp. from what you say, they sound fine for what i am doing.

i think i have worked out why the pinking shears stop the material fraying.
I Have never thought about why pinking shears work. Now I'm going to have to find out.
mrty4 m ago

I Have never thought about why pinking shears work. Now I'm going to have …I Have never thought about why pinking shears work. Now I'm going to have to find out.

i am very inquisitive and always want to know why things work the way they do

i think it is because of the zig zag shape cutting which stops the thread fraying as it goes in a different direction to the thread weave in the cloth. that is my surmise any way.
ask for a pair of pinking shears for Xmas. They're invaluable for cutting cotton, satin or any other woven material
mrty30 m ago

I Have never thought about why pinking shears work. Now I'm going to have …I Have never thought about why pinking shears work. Now I'm going to have to find out.

It is because material normally frays parallel to the cut. Diagonal cuts mean were the thread to fray. It will only do so to the end of each triangular cut. The resistance from the other thread will prevent further fraying unless stressed.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 14th Nov 2017
Mine are from poundshop. They used to be in a pack of 3 but now they are pack of 2 and they are next to the kitchen items.
I really love them
Only special people are allowed special scissors

In which case, the OP qualifies
chocci2 h, 29 m ago

Only special people are allowed special scissorsIn which case, the OP …Only special people are allowed special scissorsIn which case, the OP qualifies

I think i may fall into special needs, lol
Misslovely11 h, 34 m ago

Mine are from poundshop. They used to be in a pack of 3 but now they are …Mine are from poundshop. They used to be in a pack of 3 but now they are pack of 2 and they are next to the kitchen items. I really love them

that is good to hear as it sounds like i don't need any special scissors. when i watch the you tube videos, they all seem to have big heavy scissors with metallic handles so i wondered if they would have benefits that i am not aware of, like it is easier to cut in a straight line with them or something.

the blades on my scissors are 12 cm in length, the scissors are 20 cm in length in total. they are very light but very sharp and they look like this. when i googled this image, it seems to indicate that they may be hair cutting scissors? which may explain why they are light yet very sharp. but they look on the big side to be cutting hair, although i have no knowledge of hair dressing.

i have no idea where they came from as i did not buy them so i don't know what type of scissors they are.

mutley143 m ago

Thats goes without saying judging by your 11,723 ASK threads
chocci5 m ago

Thats goes without saying judging by your 11,723 ASK threads

lol. fair comment.

you must have a lot of patience if you have counted them all to get to that tally
mutley111 h, 9 m ago

You think?
The all metal scissors are one of those buy once and they'll last you a lifetime items.
They are damn near indestructible and as they are simple if they need sharpening or get damaged it's easy to do.
joedastudd25 m ago

The all metal scissors are one of those buy once and they'll last you a …The all metal scissors are one of those buy once and they'll last you a lifetime items.They are damn near indestructible and as they are simple if they need sharpening or get damaged it's easy to do.

That makes sense. I wondered why they were all using those type of scissors on the videos and here's me with a cheap looking pair of scissors. I am following the videos but I don't seem to have the same equipment. Thanks for clearing that up.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants