Do I need to declare my iPad?

Found 30th Jun 2011
Hi all

I recently bought an iPad in the US and I am unsure if I need to declare when I get to UK customs.

The iPad cost me $599 plus 6.5% sales tax. Now, if I add the sales tax it takes me over my £390 personal goods limit. If I don't include the sales tax, I am slightly under.

So, my question is, do I declare or not? And if I don't and get stopped will they value my iPad before or after the sales tax?

I have looked into this a little on the customs and excise website and a few forums and can't seem to get an answer, so was hoping someone on here will know.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
39 Comments
Chuck the box in the bin, bring back the iPad, job done.
anewman

Chuck the box in the bin, bring back the iPad, job done.

I want to keep the box to keep up the resell value in the off chance I sell on or trade for a galaxy tab 10.1.

Also, I have read that if customs are being particularly arsey, I have to prove I bought the iPad in the UK. This might not be the case, but if I knew either way if I needed to declare or not it would save a little hassle.
I would agree, throw away the box & bring it back - saves all the hassle!
just declare it, i doubt it will be a great deal as you aren't going over your limit by much?

just say you weren't sure if sales tax had to be included or not

jayjayuk1234

just declare it, i doubt it will be a great deal as you aren't going over … just declare it, i doubt it will be a great deal as you aren't going over your limit by much?just say you weren't sure if sales tax had to be included or not

Problem is if I do have to pay duty, its on the full value of the iPad, not on how much I'm over.

@pr3cious18 I really don't want to chuck the box for the reasons mentioned above.

Hoping someone can tell me for sure if I need to add the sales tax or not.
Post the box back and take the ipad home on the plane.
danmc

Like your thinking.
I posted the box.

You probably won't get stopped on the way home. If you do then explain you thought it was under your allowance, hence you didn't declare. Trying to deceive a customs officer is worse than being slightly over your personal allowance and is pointless anyway. So don't try the old "I bought it in the uk" they're not stupid and can check in seconds.

Good luck.
Edited by: "davelfc" 30th Jun 2011
From what I can see iPads are duty free but you will pay tax on the total cost. If you don't declare and your ipad subsequently found, then you may possibly face an additional penalty.
ask someone else at the airport whos on your flight to take your empty box for you.....maybe a bad idea with all the paranoia in the states , could get u a first class ticket to guantanamo
Either post the box or If you are travelling with someone else, have them pack the box and then go through customs separately.
How about dump the box and buy another off ebay if you do decide to sell it.
You do need to add sales tax and convert to £ at the HMCE official exchange rate.

Details available at their website.

danmc

was also going to say this .. will cost next to nowt to post the empty box back.. either that or post the whole thing as a "gift" don't think you'll get done for the tax at all then
DE4L3R

ask someone else at the airport whos on your flight to take your empty … ask someone else at the airport whos on your flight to take your empty box for you.....maybe a bad idea with all the paranoia in the states , could get u a first class ticket to guantanamo

BAD BAD BAD idea ... especially if the person you ask is an air marshall !!! you'll be clapped in irons and **** probed for hours before your ( possible ) release
arcangel111

BAD BAD BAD idea ... especially if the person you ask is an air marshall … BAD BAD BAD idea ... especially if the person you ask is an air marshall !!! you'll be clapped in irons and **** probed for hours before your ( possible ) release

There will be a few on here that maybe see that as a plus.
danmc

I did this once with a camera I bought in the USA.

UK customs were suspicious of an empty box being sent from USA to UK and opened it.

I then had a visit from UK customs to my home and had to pay extra tax, plus a fine for trying to evade tax.

Put something cheap in the box then

guilbert53

I did this once with a camera I bought in the USA. UK customs were … I did this once with a camera I bought in the USA. UK customs were suspicious of an empty box being sent from USA to UK and opened it.I then had a visit from UK customs to my home and had to pay extra tax, plus a fine for trying to evade tax.

Just flat pack the box in your suitcase and keep the ipad in you hand luggage, that's what I did with my mbp and my kindle!
DVS_Dee

Just flat pack the box in your suitcase and keep the ipad in you hand … Just flat pack the box in your suitcase and keep the ipad in you hand luggage, that's what I did with my mbp and my kindle!

That's exactly what I would do.
MBeeching

That's exactly what I would do.

Without ripping the box i dont see it possible.. it's hard box not flimsy cardboard
You flying in today? There's no Customs on due to the strike so bring in what you want.
t0mm

Without ripping the box i dont see it possible.. it's hard box not flimsy … Without ripping the box i dont see it possible.. it's hard box not flimsy cardboard

if you was desperate surely you could pack the box with clothes, socks etc so in effect it wouldn't take up any room?
Thanks for all the input guys n gals. I think mumbojumbo answered my question in regard to the value of the iPad. I will do what I was going to do originally and carry the iPad with me and pack the box in my girlfriends suitcase. I will take my chances with customs.

Won't end up as much as a bargain if I do get stung for vat
If you put the box in the girlfriends case aren't you twice as likely to be caught, if they stop you they may ask for where you got the ipad, if they stop the girlfriend they'll ask where's the ipad.
greg_68

If you put the box in the girlfriends case aren't you twice as likely to … If you put the box in the girlfriends case aren't you twice as likely to be caught, if they stop you they may ask for where you got the ipad, if they stop the girlfriend they'll ask where's the ipad.

Maybe they'd have the good sense to walk through separately rather than stop and say "you need us both as she's got the box for the iPad I'm smuggling."
guv

Maybe they'd have the good sense to walk through separately rather than … Maybe they'd have the good sense to walk through separately rather than stop and say "you need us both as she's got the box for the iPad I'm smuggling."

Yes because US airports are known for having very loose security measures and would never be able to put 2 and 2 together to realise they are travelling together
guilbert53

I did this once with a camera I bought in the USA. UK customs were … I did this once with a camera I bought in the USA. UK customs were suspicious of an empty box being sent from USA to UK and opened it.I then had a visit from UK customs to my home and had to pay extra tax, plus a fine for trying to evade tax.

Please don't tell me that you told them that you brought in a camera without paying the tax?!?
Paddy Charlie

Yes because US airports are known for having very loose security measures … Yes because US airports are known for having very loose security measures and would never be able to put 2 and 2 together to realise they are travelling together

WTF has US airports got to do paying duty in the UK? You seem as confused as the retard who liked your post! X)
dunfyboy

You flying in today? There's no Customs on due to the strike so bring in … You flying in today? There's no Customs on due to the strike so bring in what you want.

Not true
guv

WTF has US airports got to do paying duty in the UK? You seem as confused … WTF has US airports got to do paying duty in the UK? You seem as confused as the retard who liked your post! X)

Maybe I should have phrased it better as flights to and from america. And if a uk official stops her with the box then it isn't exactly rocket science for them to figure out she is travelling with someone, half-wit
Paddy Charlie

Maybe I should have phrased it better as flights to and from america. And … Maybe I should have phrased it better as flights to and from america. And if a uk official stops her with the box then it isn't exactly rocket science for them to figure out she is travelling with someone, half-wit

Bit late when he is waiting in the car park.

Last time I checked, empty boxes dont cost very much - especially when used to pack some delicate items inside to protect them.

And yes, maybe you should have explained yourself better - or more to the point, not make mistakes.

As for "half-wit" ....... pffft

brb not reading about banned militant extremists being allowed back into the country because they are so good at their jobs.

I would laugh at that, but it really isn't funny. I expect his supporters will declare otherwise.

thehitman

Not true

Well, mostly true. The PCS is on strike. That's the union that covers the UKBA staff that used to work for HMRC (and HMC&E before it). The Immigration side of UKBA has two unions. Some are members of PCS, the rest are members of ISU (who aren't taking part in the strike).

Of course, some PCS members will scabs and go in today to work with the ISU members, but many of them will be ordered to cover any shortfalls at immigration as keeping waiting times down is seen as a higher priority than preventing smuggling.
Glad to see my thread started some friendly banter oO

Out of interest, how will they know what I paid for the iPad? Could I not tell them I got it for $550 plus tax, meaning I am under my limit?

Feel sorry for my girlfriend as she has to worry about paying duty and vat on a $1000 MacBook X)
Send both the boxes in the post.. Much easier and so much less hassle..
Just don't worry and take it home and in the unlikely event you are stopped claim ignorance. In the last ten years I've travelled more than 100 times to and from the US and although I rarely buy anything over the limit I've never once been stopped.

99% of the time you can't even see one customs officer when you arrive.
SteveA

Just don't worry and take it home and in the unlikely event you are … Just don't worry and take it home and in the unlikely event you are stopped claim ignorance. In the last ten years I've travelled more than 100 times to and from the US and although I rarely buy anything over the limit I've never once been stopped.99% of the time you can't even see one customs officer when you arrive.

Ignorance would be my best bet if we do get stopped. I have been to the USA a few times in the past 5 years and have nearly always spend well over my allowance on clothes and tech, and have never been stopped at customs.
For anyone interested, we didn't get stopped at customs, as there was no one there X)
thegazman

For anyone interested, we didn't get stopped at customs, as there was no … For anyone interested, we didn't get stopped at customs, as there was no one there X)

That's because they're waiting at your house
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions