Groups

Do I really have to stick to manufacturers recommendation for maximum ram on laptop?

I have a fairy old but ok HP business laptop, model nx9010

I scanned with crucial and I have just 756 mb ram installed = 1x256mb & 1x512mb

Crucial gave 3 suitable upgrades here crucial.com/uk/…010

It says not to go over manufacturers recommended max ram

If I have to stick with the 512mb upgrade is this one ok which is cheaper on play.com?play.com/PC/…tml

Really I would like to add another 1gb instead of the 512mb is this ok to do and if so which one is suitable from play.com as they are cheaper?

6 Comments

usually if it lists a maximum means it doesnt support any more than that

Original Poster

Oh dear, well would the play one above be suitable then as its about half the price of crucials?

karen4u;2801308

Oh dear, well would the play one above be suitable then as its about half … Oh dear, well would the play one above be suitable then as its about half the price of crucials?

yup should be just dandy :thumbsup:

(altho for best performance its recommended to have matching pairs)

Original Poster

I've ordered the play.com one so I'll have about 1g of ram then, not much of an upgrade but its so slow I had to try anyay.

They wont be the same make of ram but the same size each stick

Any ideas on how to try and speed things up on this laptop?

I have tried everything, its running avast, I have minimum start up applications, its got spyware blockers, I've checked the hardisk, defragmented, I use ccleaner and glary untilities its got 2/3rds free diskspace and up to date drivers

Well, the manufacturer's maximum could be there because bigger sticks didn't exist when the documentation was printed or it could be there because bigger sticks definitely won't work so going over it may or may not work.

its usually the ram and processor that have most impact on the speed, so short of upgrading them as you have done there isnt much more you can do other than what your already doing, just try not to run anything hugely memory hungry and dont install anything you dont really need
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
      3. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44
      4. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578

See more discussions