Posted 8th Jul 2020
Jut some advice please. For ages I’ve been racking my head wether I need to be spending so much a month just on broadband - I currently pay £52 per month for 200mb from Virgin. It’s just broadband by itself, no other packages.

I feel like this is really expensive! I’m wondering if I switched to somebody like Sky, I’m only gonna be getting roughly 50mb. Will I notice the drop? I’m also uneasy about the idea of needing a phone line as currently I don’t have one nor pay for line rental.

I don’t play online games, but we have about 7 devices that use WiFi, we have 3 google smart speakers, hive, hue lighting, an ip camera. I download games and stuff but I am prepared to be able to wait longer for those.

What are your thoughts?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

25 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    Constituent elements of price (example: phoneline) is irrelevant when considering overall price comparison.

Camera will have negligible effect on service as its main ISP utilsation will be upload not download.

General surfing uses very little download bandwidth, nor does streaming audio (relatively). The only likely issue you may (not necessarily will) encounter with a 50Mbps service would be if you use more than two 4k streaming services simultaneously, where two 4k streams at typically variable 25Mbps each may leave little download bandwidth remaining for other services.

All above assumes the ISP can provide 50Mbps at whatever time you use the service.

Anyways, NowBB uses Sky BB infrastructure & will cost you £30/m on 12m contract for max 63Mbps, with opportunity for £90 cashback via TCB. Minimum £9.99 router p&p; not sure about (any) installation cost.
  2. Avatar
    deleted242264308/07/2020 17:21

Comment deleted

That is the issue.
    BT is a relatively stable connection, but because of chronic underfunding on infrastructure over the last 20 years, you are stuck with low capacity for downloads. Even worse if you cannot get fibre.
    Virgin is just a complete rip off. The connection is very iffy at best, the throttling is immense, and the super hub is the biggest piece of dogtuurd equipment since the Sinclair C5. It really boils my pish.
    I pray to allah for the Space/satellite internetz to arrive soon, then i can smash Virgins Super(lol) Hub up and mail it back to them in bits.
  3. Avatar
    jco8308/07/2020 17:33

The only difference very high speed internet makes is to the speed of …The only difference very high speed internet makes is to the speed of downloading files. If you don't do that at all or not very often [and don't mind it taking longer] then you will most likely be perfectly fine having basic speed broadband but this does depend on where you live so check online what speed your home can be expected to get

Takes two simultaneous 4k streams to stuff a 50Mbps connection.
  4. Avatar
    It is expensive i pay that for 900Mb
  5. Avatar
    The only difference very high speed internet makes is to the speed of downloading files. *Also: need ~25Mbps to stream 4K video* (thanks @AndyRoyd for putting me straight ) If you don't do that at all or don't download very often [and don't mind it taking longer] then you will most likely be perfectly fine having basic speed broadband but this does depend on where you live so check online what speed your home can be expected to get (edited)
  6. Avatar
    This is the wrong website to ask if you really need something...
  7. Avatar
    I would say for a start think less about the package, more about the deal.

I pay half that (£28.74 to be exact I think) for 200mb broadband only through Virgin. No special deal or anything, just a case of negotiating (I know some people hate this, but can literally do over livechat these days) each time your contract ends.

Compared to some companies they're quite a push over imo. If it was me I'd say, "I'm really unhappy about my current package, I've found out my friend pays X for exactly the same thing Etc."

On speed, they regularly boost for free, so no harm dropping to 100mb or something can always change later.
  8. Avatar
    Bob2460108/07/2020 18:07

How do you text them? I googled it but can't find that detail on their …How do you text them? I googled it but can't find that detail on their website.Normally I wouldn't mind just waiting for the whole pandemic to be over before sorting it all out (appreciate they are busy due to this) but they are not giving any choice but for me to contact them (as well as lots of other people) because they want to increase my payments by double.If they wanted to reduce their queues and really did only want vulnerable people to contact them then they would freze their increases.

I did it back in april at the height of the craziness, so wonder if they've removed it. No I have on my phone is 07533 051809

Edit - just googled that and it comes up here at the bottom virginmedia.com/acc…web (edited)
  9. Avatar
    jco8308/07/2020 17:33

... need ~25mbps to stream 4K video* (thanks @AndyRoyd for putting me …... need ~25mbps to stream 4K video* (thanks @AndyRoyd for putting me straight

If only 4k demanded as little as 25millibits...
  10. Avatar
    50mb is more than adequate for the average household.
    I live in a house-share of 5 young people and we have 50mb broadband. As you can imagine every evening each of us will be watching some online content, Netflix/Gaming etc. and we have not had issues. I would say for my heavy household 72mb would be the sweet spot.

But again, 50mb is more than enough for 97% of the time. The other 3% is if we are all purposefully trying to stress test the bandwidth (which is rare)
  11. Avatar
    deleted242264308/07/2020 17:15

Comment deleted

I hear ya!.
    I moved to cloud gaming last year and will not go back. Updates and installs are already done for you, so no downtime. Of course for cloud-gaming 50mbps is the bare minimum
  12. Avatar
    deleted242264308/07/2020 17:21

Comment deleted

Yeah I wouldn't go near Virgin with all the recent outages in the last few weeks. I've been tempted to try Vodafone's service at 62mb, but convincing my landlord will be a pain
  13. Avatar
    My son wants to change from Virgin to Talk Talk as his pro gamers say it’s better than Virgin. I’m paying £42 for 100 and just noticed they’ve put it up. Both my sons game a lot and I watch Netflix yet we haven’t got 200. I think that’s the highest
  14. Avatar
    I had fibre broadband with virgin i switched to sky super fast and its much lower speed in mbs, but its still plenty fast and i dont notice a difference
  15. Avatar
    Just be aware how much of a pain it is to cancel with Virgin, been trying to get hold of them for the last couple of weeks and can't.

I've even raised a complaint on their website, and still haven't not got back to me either with that.

I would have stayed, but they want to increase my payments from £25 to £44 per month and giving me no option to be able to discuss it unless I wait for ages on the phone (I waited an hour and gave up) their online chat is useless too, an advisor that picked it up (based on my selection of wishing to leave) said they had to transfer me into another queue which has a 15hr waiting time!
  16. Avatar
    my 55mbps works for me, and I do play online games, I believe I have 9 connections
  17. Avatar
    Bob2460108/07/2020 17:47

Just be aware how much of a pain it is to cancel with Virgin, been trying …Just be aware how much of a pain it is to cancel with Virgin, been trying to get hold of them for the last couple of weeks and can't.I've even raised a complaint on their website, and still haven't not got back to me either with that.I would have stayed, but they want to increase my payments from £25 to £44 per month and giving me no option to be able to discuss it unless I wait for ages on the phone (I waited an hour and gave up) their online chat is useless too, an advisor that picked it up (based on my selection of wishing to leave) said they had to transfer me into another queue which has a 15hr waiting time!

It's a pain at the moment. I found the text service eventually worked, though it took a few days for them to text me back.
  18. Avatar
    HottyHotty08/07/2020 17:59

It's a pain at the moment. I found the text service eventually worked, …It's a pain at the moment. I found the text service eventually worked, though it took a few days for them to text me back.

How do you text them? I googled it but can't find that detail on their website.

Normally I wouldn't mind just waiting for the whole pandemic to be over before sorting it all out (appreciate they are busy due to this) but they are not giving any choice but for me to contact them (as well as lots of other people) because they want to increase my payments by double.

If they wanted to reduce their queues and really did only want vulnerable people to contact them then they would freze their increases.
  19. Avatar
    If you wanna stay with em...phone em up and say you feel you're paying too much for a package you don't need. Might offer you a better price for their 100mb.
  20. Avatar
    HottyHotty08/07/2020 18:12

I did it back in april at the height of the craziness, so wonder if …I did it back in april at the height of the craziness, so wonder if they've removed it. No I have on my phone is 07533 051809Edit - just googled that and it comes up here at the bottom https://www.virginmedia.com/accessibility/virgin-broadband-and-the-web

Thank you it doesnt appear on their standard contact Us page, I'll give that a go and see how I get on.
  21. Avatar
    Bob2460108/07/2020 18:50

Thank you it doesnt appear on their standard contact Us page, I'll …Thank you it doesnt appear on their standard contact Us page, I'll give that a go and see how I get on.

Only thing I'd say is be patient! Took me about a week (again - height of lockdown). The chat's kept going round in circles, until finally a real person replied and basically apologised and gave me exactly the deal I asked for
  22. Avatar
    Simple answer is NO
  23. Avatar
    AndyRoyd08/07/2020 20:01

If only 4k demanded as little as 25millibits...

Is that what a small m means DOH! Thank you for putting me straight a second time!
  24. Avatar
    My speeds over the years, with Virginmedia, have been...
    56k Modem, 128k M Broadband (abusing the 2x 128k stream trick)... 1M, 2M (STB), 10M, 20M (modem), 30M (paid for hub upgrade for that), 50M and now 100M.
    At a friend's with ADSL (just over 10M, and I had to tweak the cabling to get that), I really notice how much slower it is to download, but pretty sure I could live with 50M without grinding my teeth too much.

Also depends if the source can keep up with the speed, have to say I don't notice much in the way of drops, other than a few days ago when it really dived, normal stuff was slow and speedtest was awful - rebooted the hub and it came back 100%
  25. Avatar
    BlitRider08/07/2020 17:48

That is the issue.BT is a relatively stable connection, but because of …That is the issue.BT is a relatively stable connection, but because of chronic underfunding on infrastructure over the last 20 years, you are stuck with low capacity for downloads. Even worse if you cannot get fibre.Virgin is just a complete rip off. The connection is very iffy at best, the throttling is immense, and the super hub is the biggest piece of dogtuurd equipment since the Sinclair C5. It really boils my pish.I pray to allah for the Space/satellite internetz to arrive soon, then i can smash Virgins Super(lol) Hub up and mail it back to them in bits.

I too, pray for allah to get busy with the satellite internet. Virgin complete
Top Merchants